2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-19-2014, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

I did well this week too, went to my class at the LQS, got a ruler off the 1/2 price table, but no fabric!!! I might actually get thru the first month this year.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:56 AM

I bought fleece yesterday to finish some fleece blankets for a charity event. I did look at the fleece remnant pile and only took a white one to sew on a piece of fleece that is too small for the 1 1/2 yard blanket.

I saved an extra 25% on my purchases yesterday with my extra teacher coupon. Unfortunately, I didn't hit the 50 dollar mark for the extra 30% for this week. Oh, well.

At least this purchase doesn't count because it was to finish projects.

Connie
Old 01-19-2014, 07:00 AM

Well, I only made it 17 days into the year before LQS had a fantastic sale!! I did buy because I loved the fabric, BUT, unlike last year when I fell off the wagon, I 'm climbing aboard again and vowing to do better. Before this purchase, I found backing fabric for a large quilt in my stash. It was such a good feeling!! I'll need your support this year!

Linda in Missouri
Old 01-19-2014, 07:47 AM

I find having put this as a frame of mind when I am not looking at lol the emails that come to me from various fabric sites that I see something pretty BUT I say.. oh heck like you need more fabric without a purpose. use up a good amount of what you have THEN shop there will always be fabrics newer ones, prettier ones than the last. I have so many one yard of this and half a yard of that things.. no purpose. That is sad I also have those darned ufo's so nope not buying a thing especially that adorable bunny holding daffodils I saw.. nope not one. (HELP intervention get the ropes tie me in, hide my credit card!).. lol seriously not shopping. I am overwhelmed with ufo's first. like a weight almost .. I get nervous with ... 'stuff'? so have to finish up and clear out so I can feel .. like I cleaned again. not ocd mind you at all but things seem to bug me. also we live in a tiny apartment and no room to stock pile things at all. probably a good thing right?
Old 01-19-2014, 10:31 AM

I had a little slip up, but forgivable i think. I had to have pins for ornaments I'm making so went to ja's . No coupons, just going to buy pins! Found a piece of fleece, half off remnant price, and end of bolt, $1.75. It's captain America and i have a little friend who is NUTS about C.A. So had to do it! I'm going to make it a snugly pillow case, today, and mail it out tomorrow ! Absolutely NO quilting fabric was purchased in this trip, yay! But i also bought a remnant of a mini dot pink, white for doll dresses. I went beyond what i planned, but I was true to the quilting part of the moratorium.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:53 AM

Sandyz-- using the la was a blast! I did a large meander, so it was very quick, or I was enjoying it so much the time flew! For me, the most time consuming was advancing the quilt. I took a class at my lqs so i can use their machine at an hourly rate, and it translated well to my friend's machine. She has just acquired a computerized machine so while she played with that i used her old machine. How cool is that?!! I didn't do a great job, but for a first attempt i am pleased! I will now need to make another quilt for the French doors, or else make a valance for the quilt I've made. Have an idea for some blocks that are partially done and might work. That would be another UFO biting the dust, and no new fabric. Woo hoo!
Brat-- I'm proud of you! You used good restraint! I found that if i cancelled my subscription to the fabric sites i was less tempted to buy from them. I know how to get to connecting threads without them teasing me with yummy goodies ! Lol, as I have proven often enough! 8-/ ,lol! I did buy some of the red and the blue in precuts and will be making the five and dime quilt soon, too. Then they will be gone and i will have another quilt to play la with! I have picked out fabrics and then just left the site, reminding myself there is no need to buy more! But it's hard! I'm proud of all of us who are doing it! And if you fall off the wagon, get back in! The world won't end, you won't face a firing squad, and you can start over from that point. Don't beat yourself up, we're addicts, after all.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

Brat, I have the same issues with my UFOs - the pile is so huge that I feel overwhelmed. I guess I have to give my inner pig-dog (a German expression) a swift kick in the hindquarters and just pick one to finish.

nancia, I think we are all expecting to see the finished Captain America piece.

So far zero new fabric for me this year. Sounds like an addict speaking "Hi, my name is Martina, and I have not bought any fabric in 19 days" lol
Old 01-19-2014, 01:09 PM

Let's see if these pics came out alright. I would have been fine if i had made it 4 x4.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 01-19-2014, 02:48 PM

How wonderfully colorful, but then we knew it would be! A beautiful quilt and the FMQ looks good.

I pulled Judy's train 3 out of storage today so I can see where I was with it. Sewing with red roses will be fun with Valentine's Day coming. It doesn't need any more fabric, but I will stay out the LQS as red roses on a black ground is probably my second weakness after batiks.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:02 PM

Thanks, Judy. I actually have a very quiet color UFO, and that's probably why it's a UFO. May become a dog bed or a charity quilt, but will be a perfect practice quilt for the la.
right now I'm making ornaments out of some squares i had for a dahlia pillow. Does that count as another UFO finished? Right now if it leaves the quilt room it counts!