2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 03-18-2014, 08:06 PM

Linda, I like that 'slow and steady" philosophy. And you are right...until prices on fabric go down, I do not think quilt shops are hurting.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

I'm still being good. The only thing I bought was a 120" measuring tape because mine met the rotary cutter and the cutter won. For a while I did the math (remember to subtract X" from the measurement) but that got me in hot water recently so I bought a new one.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:43 PM
Power Poster

What a difference a few days make. SIGH! We went to Livermore for a Gibson Brothers concert after work and there happened to be a wonderful LQS just down the street from the theater. I picked up a thimble and some glue and then I saw this packet of lovely prints that wanted to come home with me. So I told DH to please talk me out of the purchase. Wanna know what he did? He handed me another stack in two different color ways and comments how good they look together. (He was right, they did.) So they all came home with me.

On the drive home, I asked him why he took that option instead of reminding me that I REALLY don't need any more fabric. My DE (darling enabler) responded: "Oh honey, you looked so happy when you saw that fabric, I just wanted to spoil you a little." (Feeling spoiled rotten.) On the upside, I decided against going to the quilt show this weekend to avoid temptation and to have a little more time to actually sew.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:01 AM

Martina: It was really cruel that your post about how well you were doing is immediately above the one admitting to your fall from grace. Those little packages were not fabric they were a love note from your DE, how could you refuse?
Old 03-22-2014, 06:13 AM

here I am in my role as contrarian. yes, our not buying fabric does hurt the quilt shops, and I am deeply sorry for that. BUT, and I personally have a big one, if other sources can sell the product for $5++ less per yard then what does that say? I can't bankrupt myself to keep others in business. And personally, at the rate I sew I will live to 200 and still have stash. and my confession== I bought my ddil a fq pack of hand dyed greens for her birthday on Mar. 17. I am kinda proud of myself.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:20 AM

I'm doing just fine on not buying fabric but am not so much in the yarn dept. I seem to keep buying just a little of this and a little of that. I'll blame it on this long, hard winter we've had. Our coziest room is the family room and I can hang out with hubby and knit easier than anything else. But... I do have three new babies coming this fall that I can knit for now so that's a way to use up and accomplish something.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:26 AM

I bought 2 1/2 yards of fabric last night. My friends daughter is having a baby an I a putting together a baby quilt for her. For those of you who just finished the Mystery Train I am repeating that wonderful pattern and using up my baby fabric scraps. When I asked my friend what colors I should use for the sashing and borders she told me orange and lime green. Not my typical colors and definitely nothing I have hanging around in my stash so I needed to pick up some fabrics in those colors.

I am doing a quilting retreat next weekend so I am hoping to get the top constructed then.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:39 AM

Anoka, if you use it immediately, it's okay. It's stash building we are trying to curtail. I did leave the two batiks in my order for the church. The red one is worth getting 20 lashes with a wet noodle. The multi one not so much, but they both will work in a room divider quilt I am planning. I can't say they won't go into stash for now so I have to hang my head.

nancia, my LQS is going out of business, but not because I stopped buying fabric. The rough winter was too much and they are moving to S Carolina. I'd rather battle snow than a hurricane, but to each his own. Bad news for our town but the owner feels he has several good prospects for a buyer. There will be large sales I will have to avoid. I will collect my free $15 worth of fabricor notions from my filled customer card.

lots2do, it's not unusual to trade one compulsion for another. Seeing a couple of 'Hoarders' episodes is enough to wake me up to stockpiling anything, but at least fabric and yarn are clean and usable.

Stay strong, everyone.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

I don't watch the hoarders show any longer. That's a little too much reality TV for me. No, my fabric obsession is not in that category (thank Hannah!) and I can also afford to fall off the wagon on occasion. The bills are paid, there's money in the retirement account, some money goes to charity and we have no one but ourselves to support. Considering that I don't have any other extravagant habits, I think I am doing OK. On that note, I am heading upstairs to pull the next project to complete. I hear a UFO calling my name and it needs backing fabric which will come from the stash. Whoohoo!
Old 03-22-2014, 02:17 PM

I'm not going to watch it any more. I recently upgraded my TV channels and have watched some shows that were not available to me. I am going to back to basic. Too many of the extra channels deal with a person's pain (like Hoarders) or people yelling at one another. I don't care for either format.

Off to walk the dogs then I am going to make a Swoon block - from the church fabric and my stash so happy sewing to all of us!!!