2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 03-27-2014, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Rose: I think Spring is stuck here in Oregon, not necessarily a good thing since we are part of that drought that's hitting California. I'll send us some of the great weather if you'll send us some of that moisture.
Emma, I am also in Michigan and I will gladly send you some of our moisture. We woke up this morning to 10 inches of new snow and it is snowing again now. I am soooo ready to see the ground! In the meantime, back to my basement studio to use up more of my stash. No purchases this month.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

My little slip on Friday was Tula Pink's 100 block sampler book--perfect for the few batiks in my scrap bag--already have 50 blocks cut out. So not so bad for me, right?
Old 03-28-2014, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

Hi Rose & Emma! Yes, I'm the hostess of this thread and should be setting a better example. The reason I started it was I thought that the threat of public shopping confessions would eliminate my fabric purchases. Unfortunately, everyone is so supportive that didn't happen completely. I guess the good news is that I really have cut down on impulse purchases. I've also (almost) eliminated my 'alternative fabric' purchases. We go to thrift shops at least once a week and I've finally got my husband weaned from checking out the linens for flat sheets and I stay out of the store on 5 for $5 garment Fridays. Got some snow yesterday, but it turned into rain and I can now see a few patches of earth. We are getting a bit of dawn chorus from the song birds and the male turkeys are strutting like crazy, which I'm taking as a sign that spring is here!
Old 03-28-2014, 05:01 AM

Just wanted to share a book I stumbled upon. Thought maybe it fit here because we are trying to use the fabric we have now. Its called "The Big Book of Nickel Quilts" by Pat Speth with Charlene Thode. The whole principal of the book is to use 5 inch squares. Some really great scrappy designs. Plus its help me determine what size to cut the left over scraps.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:22 AM

Ladies I'm making 3 red,white and blue quilts for 3 National Guards that came home and one black, white quilts 2 1/2 inch strips for the black and white for those of you want ingot o help just PM me. This will help some of you to use up your stash and not buy. I have no red, white and blue fabric for this project. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-28-2014, 06:39 AM

Just wanted to share a book I stumbled upon. Thought maybe it fit here because we are trying to use the fabric we have now. Its called "The Big Book of Nickel Quilts" by Pat Speth with Charlene Thode. The whole principal of the book is to use 5 inch squares. Some really great scrappy designs. Plus its help me determine what size to cut the left over scraps.
I can't agree more on the Nickel Quilts book for some of the best scrap quilts. When ever I get a mental block , her books always break through the mental congestion .
Old 03-28-2014, 10:34 AM
Power Poster

Princess, I can say that I do buy a whole lot less since I started "sharing my confessions" on this thread. There are many times that I toss coupons, don't respond to sales emails, and stay away from the LQS to avoid temptation. Before this thread it was a free-for-all with the only justification that "I work hard and can afford it" and of course "I deserve it". I do a lot better thanks to this little group.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

LOVE her books! I have most of her other ones and looked at the new one at the bookstore, and it looks like a consolidation of her previously published works. So if you have the older ones, you are good, if not this is a great deal. I was obsessed with recycling shirts a couple years ago. I think I bought 100 and cut them all into 5" charms. I have thousands of charms (love my accuquilt)! I made several quilts from her books.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:17 AM

I'm being good. Since January, I've bought two backing fabrics and one batting. This thread has me going in Joanne's only when I absolutely have to and I stay out of Hobby Lobby's fabric section, too. So this thread helps me save $$ and use some stash that I'd keep looking at and not using. Thanks, everyone!
Old 03-29-2014, 07:28 AM

Paperprincess, if I had the chance to buy bolts or even half bolts of fabric at wholesale, I would jump at the chance. I have a bolt of muslin bought years ago at an auction and it is one of the best things I have in my stash. I personally give you a pass on all that you bought! I will finish my cat quilt today (hurray) and then I can concentrate of looking through stash to see if anything will work for the layer cake sizes I need to a class in May. I keep checking CT and other places that sell layer cakes. There seems to be such a range as to how many pieces are in one. Seems to vary from 20-32-40-42??? I need to get my hubby's math help to figure out how much yardage I need to buy to get 10.5 inch pieces that will come out with no waste. Sometimes, I think it might be better to buy yardage and have a bit leftover than buy just a layer cake. But so far, I have resisted....hard as it is. Thanks everyone!