2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 05-25-2014, 02:31 PM

Kris: Your quilt looks like the Southwest with all those beautiful dessert colors. Very nice blending. Love your color choices for the log cabin. Since the purchase was to get shipping is there dispensation for the purchase, after all who wants to pay for shipping?
Old 05-26-2014, 07:02 AM

I've been quite good : ) But, I'll be needing to buy backing for a queen size quilt that's almost done (Thimbleberries). It's nearly 'perfect' piecing and includes 138 flying geese around the main blocks. Amazing!
I plan to give it to my nephew and his wife but will first show it a few times. I've never had a quilt judged, but may do that to get some feedback before it's delivered (an unexpected gift).
I have one more border to add and the top will be done. It'll be custom LAQ'ed to complement the complex pattern. If I can ever get a photo to post, I'll do so when it's done. I've not been successful for quite some time.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:12 AM

I purchased some Pellon Shape Flex interfacing so I can make a tumbler bag according to the MSQC tutorial.

I also got 3 bags of knit at a garage sale. I was buying one bag and told the lady that I was donating it to a group that made baby items. So instead of $3 for one bag, she told me to take all of it for free. That's why I got three bags instead of one. She also took my name and number in case she decides to clear out more of her stash.

I will need to purchase some fleece in the near future to match the fleece remnants I was given yesterday. The purchase will allow me to make some fringed fleece blankets for a yearly donation to a group called For the Love of Peyton.

I also was given about 6 kitchen garbage bags full of material that will be divided up for several organizations. There are cottons, sweatshirt fleece, flannels, and knits in the bags. At least I didn't pay for any of it and I am trying to only keep the larger pieces of backing fabric, flannel, and some heavier fabric for tote bags. Then the rest will be dropped off at the different organizations.

Sooooo...I keep telling myself that I DO NOT NEED to go to any garage sales for fabric!!! I don't think that will happen although this thread really makes me evaluate how far I will travel to check out fabric at garage sales to add to my stash or donate.

Happy Memorial Day!

Connie

P.S. Time to get back to my sewing room to reorganize and then to topstitch and tie some baby quilts.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:30 AM

Connie: Wow, guilt free fabric acquisition. Going through those six bags must have been fun.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:00 AM

I will try. Not promising anything on this one. But I will use my scrap bucket to make a scrappy quilt, maybe a trip around the world or a nine patch to that that out of my way. I think I have 3 totes of scraps. So that should be an easy adventure, the tough part will be figuring out what to do.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:17 PM

My daughter says that garage sale fabric does not count. Not sure how she figures that but that is what she said.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:40 AM

Well, I just bought 9 yards of a gorgeous fabric for quilt backing. It was 50% off...and it's a nice fabric. It will help me get a batik braid quilt started and done. Meanwhile, my tote bag is almost finished and I'm binding a quilt with stash fabric. So I've spend my quilting allowance for this month (June). And what will we all do when the state shop hops start on July 1. Oh me, oh my!
Old 06-01-2014, 05:23 AM

I did it, I did it! No fabric was bought in May! Wow, I am amazed! This has never happened before in my life time of quilting and that's years. A whole month.....wonder if I can make that 2 months? Well June, so far so good.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:40 AM

I picked up 1 1/4 yds of fabric and 4 fat quarters on the 31st. I just had to buy the bionic gear bag pattern and wanted some sewing theme fabric for the bag. At least it has a purpose and I only bought what the pattern called for.

All in all this challenge has been a good one and has try stopped the impulse buying.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

I went to the LQS for the Beatle Bag class and did not buy anything. I did see some fabric in the sale section that might work for a backing I need. Will take the top in to see if my instincts were right. See, in the past I would have just bought 5 yards in case it worked. So you are a good influence on me!