2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 05-16-2014, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

leta, expecting a new grandbaby gets a pass for sure. And kudos to you for tackling College. I did it in my 40s and am considering a Master's....but how much sewing time would I lose.....Still deciding.

Princess, those bags are cute. How does the beads part work - do you string your own, or buy necklaces, or what?
Old 05-17-2014, 03:39 AM

Thumbs up

Well, thanks for letting me back on this wagon! Everything had to be finished quickly due to deadlines. Otherwise...well, let's not go there. I'll post a pic of the sweatshirt soon. After seeing the others at guild, it looks like I need to cut away more fabric. Hubby says it looks fine as is. These aren't hard to make, just time consuming with the cutting. Also, need to make the arms shorter and do those. Think there's enough fabric left...but I'll be at the LQS this Thursday for purse class, so can get more fabric for the sweatshirt. Think I've done myself in on the purse bit. Had no idea how much it would cost to make one. Whew! Thanks for being gracious. Irishrose, that red batik is calling out to you...I can here it from here! LOL
Old 05-17-2014, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
...Princess, those bags are cute. How does the beads part work - do you string your own, or buy necklaces, or what?
The kids get the beads at the hospital. They get a certain type bead for every procedure they have to undergo. Some kids string them, some just store them in the bags. Sadly some children accumulate hundreds. My cousin belongs to a bead guild and they were contacted by the charity to make special beads for particularly difficult procedures.
Since lots of folks have many hobbies, some of the people from her guild were also making the bags & she gave me some labels to get me started.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:43 PM

This is good reading. I smile a lot when I read your writings. I think it's the like mindedness or it could be that 'it sounds like me!' I do feel pretty good about my fabric purchases for May, so far it's 0. I'm not kidding and I'm completely surprised. This no fabric buying is just not possible, has been my inner thoughts. Guess I'm proving that one wrong. We'll see how far into May this girl can go with the 0 purchases. I think it's a record at this point.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for that clarification, Princess. Those poor kids - breaks my heart to think of all they have to go through.
I just found out that the pump on our well went out. Without water, there isn't much to do. Looks like I'll end up going to the quilt show in Woodland after all. When frustrated - she shops. Will let you know how bad I'm gonna be later.

Oh, and I did go by the LQS on Friday and bought FQs for the swap and some supplies for a class I'm signed up in. BUT I will pull fabric from my stash.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:40 AM

I survived the Stash Bash sew in at my LQS on Friday. I only bought 1/2 yard of fabric, but that was for a project I was working on that night and didn't like my original choice for the binding so had to go with a different color. I do not regret that decission....I thought about putting the project aside and working of another project I brought for the night and just pull from my stash at home but I really happy I didn't. I was trying to match a purple in one of the fabrics for a binding and never knew how many shades of purple there was till I tried matching the color in the focus fabric. Other than the 1/2 yard of fabric I purchased a spool of thread to match the fabric I just purchased and some new bobbins for my machine. All in all I walked out for the night under $20.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:28 PM

Oh no! I feel the pressure building, everyone is being so good and staying within the guidelines. Afraid to say anything further after my dismal performance last month. Congrats everyone.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

I did go to the quilt show and I did buy something. Got a fat-quarter bundle of neutrals and a half yard of beige with gold. That is going to be used on one of my round robins since I have very little in the line of neutrals.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:11 PM

Coopah...I, too want to see pics of the sweatshirt/jacket, when you can. I received two sacks of scraps from a friend who does not want them so that gave me my fabric fix for this month. I can get several Lozenges blocks from them, hurray! Everyone is doing so good and I agree...if this moratorium just makes us think before we buy...that is a good thing!
Old 05-25-2014, 12:17 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

[ATTACH=CONFIG]476793[/ATTACH]This is the fabric from last month, almost done with the quilting. It's the corner showing of the backing.

Now, this latest. Ordered a black batting. Had to buy some fabric to get free shipping. Here it is. It will eventually be part of a diamond log cabin.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg