2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 06-01-2014, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

Congratulations Rhonda Lee! Baby steps--let's see I know I have Quilt Iowa fabric on order so don't think I will make June a fabric free month...But I was good in May, too.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:51 PM

Red face

Originally Posted by jvineyard View Post
My daughter says that garage sale fabric does not count. Not sure how she figures that but that is what she said.
I totally agree with your daughter. The other day I found 8 yards of JoAnn's quilt quality cotton in a swap meet, that was perfect for the backing of my king size top in progress, for $1. You bet I was not going to pass on it!
Old 06-02-2014, 06:29 AM

Well I bought two pieces of fabric but honest they were to go with fabric I already had in my stash. One is a blue cloud fabric that I want for a autumn leaf quilt that will use some of the many fall fabrics I already have. The other was a Kona teal called "glacier" that will go with a stack and wack set on point that is already started. So, can I squeak by with no demerits for May?
Old 06-03-2014, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

I've been out of quilting for a while, with a construction project going on, then BOTH my sewing machines decided to stop working... I only made one fabric purchase in May, but it bad. One of those 32 fat quarter bundles for $16 that was posted in the links section. I mean come on, 32 LQS FQ's for $16. I was a victim.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

Going to the LQS after work. Not even planning to be strong. I am recovering from a nasty bug so a little fabric-retail-therapy may be what the doctor ordered.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:54 PM

Must be something in the air. I almost stopped at the closing LQS today. I would like to see if they any solid navy. I'm doing a batik stained glass quilt starting June 17 and I'm thinking navy leading would suit the recipient better than black. I have no idea what their prices are down to, but if they are too low, I'll be in trouble.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:16 AM

I think this has been such a good thing, this fabric moratorium. It has really made me stop and think before buying. I don't believe anything is wrong with picking up pieces of fabric that is needed in a current project or getting a great deal on fabrics. The cost is high in our hobby regardless of what we do. So any savings is worth it IMHO. I have spent some money on an order with Nancys Notions, patterns and one kit for a book for a grandson. Even that purchase made me pause and reflect if this was a need. Of course the answer was yes! But the impulse buying has been curbed. That I am truly grateful for, and once again, thank you, thank you, thank you, to all of you who's encouraging words mean so much!
Old 06-07-2014, 09:38 PM
Power Poster

I went, I saw, I shopped. This nasty cold and and the meds I've been taking had me in a real funk, so what better medicine than a little fabric shopping. Yes, I went to the LQS yesterday to get some backing fabric for the top I had. Got it - even on the sale rack. Needed to get 4 FQs in colors I didn't have - got them. Found the same backing fabric in green and bought it too. Then I saw some Snoopy (Hero) fabric that I just had to have and of course some solids to go with the Snoopy for a DP9. Let's just say that the owner was very happy when she rang me up. Today I went to the shop for a class and thanks to the real meds, I forgot half my supplies at home. .....At least everything I bought today got used immediately. SIGH! Ask me if I feel bad about ANY of it....NOPE! lol
Old 06-08-2014, 05:44 AM

Martina: I've got to say when you fall off the wagon you do it with a great deal of style. Sorry to hear you've been under the weather. Get well soon. I am probably going to JoAnn's today. They are having a 50% sale on cutting mats and boy do I need to replace my 24' one. The lines in the places I use the most are disappearing and the surface is probably shortening the life of my rotary blades. Don't know if I will find some yardage that I can't live without. Like you said Rose, must be something in the air.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:21 AM

I agree with you, Rhonda! I'm thankful for this moratorium because I simply had lost self control on impulse shopping for beautiful fabrics. And, they still keep coming out every week in LQS's. I've been quite disciplined and only bought backings, borders, sashings, and quilt fabrics for baby quilts requested so far this year. Plus, some bird fabric that was paid (gifted) on our anniversary from my husband.
However, I'm going to my very first real quilt retreat, plus a quilt expo this coming week. Tell me if I'll buy a few fabrics! LOL! But, it's coming up on my birthday so perhaps this is a reasonable expectation to buy some 'gifts' for myself, right?
Overall, it feels really good to recognize what I need versus what I 'want' every time I enter a quilt shop.