2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 06-11-2014, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by laynak View Post
Darn, I stuck with using my stash for a quilt that featured really cute cat fabric. But, my stash coordinating fabrics were limited and making up a pattern for the cat fabric was difficult. I made 'something' that's 24 x 56 and directional for the cat blocks. But, what is it? I'm disappointed the colors of coordinating fabrics overwhelm the feature fabric of cats.
It's a going away gift for a friend & no time to do something else. I'm not finished with the binding but when I am, I'll post a picture. Perhaps someone can give me an idea for it's potential use.
Anyone else been a bit disappointed with a quilt outcome from 'applied stash'?
YES! I am reorganizing my sewing room and am wondering what I will do with the fabrics I bought. Some were purchased while on trips and others just because I liked them. The "scrap" and "stash" quilts I see here on QB seem to really go together, and I'm wondering how to do that with all my wacky combinations. Ah well, inspiration will strike one day. Maybe.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:29 AM

Lay: Yes, I almost always go through periods, working on a quilt, that I feel like I made some serious design mistakes. Making a project for a specific person always makes it worse, which is why I prefer to make the project then find someone to gift it to. I am very sure your gift will be loved.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
YES! I am reorganizing my sewing room and am wondering what I will do with the fabrics I bought. Some were purchased while on trips and others just because I liked them. The "scrap" and "stash" quilts I see here on QB seem to really go together, and I'm wondering how to do that with all my wacky combinations. Ah well, inspiration will strike one day. Maybe.
coopah, I know what you mean as for a while I bought fabric because I liked it. Sometimes it's just a FQ, maybe a yard and then sometimes a 2-3 yard chunk--especially if it was on sale. Maybe you need to find a unifying color to those odds and ends. Use that color to "hold" the differing fabrics together. Take note of patterns you like to utilize your fabrics.

And if there are some fabrics that just don't play well with others. Use them to make purses or piece together with neutrals for backings.

Last edited by oksewglad; 06-11-2014 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:25 AM

Coopah: Don't know if this will help, but when I organized my sewing room with my fabrics in color groups displayed on book shelves it became a lot easier to visualize possible quilts. I piece both the back and the front now so I am not as concerned about the "perfect" quilt. I find that the choices come without so much wringing of hands and I am having a lot more fun. Only problem is, this process has really increased the number of my UFOs.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:15 AM

Thanks for the input, Oksewglad and Emma S. The idea of colors working together instead of pattern is good. Emma, I'm just putting things in clear bins...this will be my third day, and I didn't think I had much stash! ACK! One day I'll get them on shelves, but right now there's only time for bins. MSQC has the "Falling Charms" pattern that might work well with all the disparity of patterns. Three UFOs still to finish, so don't need more. What is it that gives you more UFOs, Emma? The pretty fabrics being more visible or do you not like the finishing? If you don't mind me asking. I'm a quilt top maker...not so much the sandwiching & quilting part, but bindings are okay.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

Oh the Falling Charms pattern would be great for all those fabrics! The Warm Wishes pattern would work well too using charms for the 6 inch squares. For the 82 x 93 size you need a yard of each of the "framing" fabrics and 1 1/4 yd for the center strip.

Here's the PDF

http://www.quiltmaker.com/content_do...DoubleSize.pdf
Old 06-13-2014, 03:55 AM

Warm Wishes looks good...I seem to have a lot of 1 yard lengths. Thanks, Oksewglad! Another option is always good. off to check out the rest of the Board, then hope to finish the sewing room today. What a lot of stuff!
Old 06-14-2014, 06:25 AM

Coopah: More UFOs? It's because I can sit at the computer, where I see so many beautiful quilts, and look at my stash. You would be amazed at how many quilts I have started by thinking, "Wonder what that block would look like in these fabrics and colors or I would really like to try that technique." I am not complaining by any means, just saying that for me, it is a pitfall.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:39 AM

I'm doing excellent at not buying fabric. I did finish buying a BOM this year but that's it. Not a single other fabric, book or gadget purchase!!
Old 06-14-2014, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

Way to go Scissors Queen!