2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 06-08-2014, 04:53 PM
Power Poster

I'm so proud of myself. I put together a Warm Wishes quilt from my stash and pieced the backing to get it done. FMQ on my domestic machine. Last stitch in the binding this afternoon.[ATTACH=CONFIG]478371[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails warm-wishes.jpg  
Old 06-08-2014, 05:21 PM

Oksewglad, that is so pretty! Very nice use of stash! I was in C-town yesterday visiting my parents(dad's 85th b'day - I gave him the quilt of barns that I made for him) and had to check out the quilt store after their move - it is very nice!
Old 06-08-2014, 05:22 PM

As you should be, what a lovely quilt! I really like the pattern, it always amazes me that two different blocks can make such an amazing pattern. Congrats.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sherryquilts View Post
Oksewglad, that is so pretty! Very nice use of stash! I was in C-town yesterday visiting my parents(dad's 85th b'day - I gave him the quilt of barns that I made for him) and had to check out the quilt store after their move - it is very nice!
Thanks Sherry and Emma--it's Thimbleberries fabric from the Sunwashed Prints that's almost 10 years old!

Happy Birthday to you dad, Sherry! Yes love her new location--she seems so tickled to be there, too.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by laynak View Post
I agree with you, Rhonda! I'm thankful for this moratorium because I simply had lost self control on impulse shopping for beautiful fabrics. And, they still keep coming out every week in LQS's. I've been quite disciplined and only bought backings, borders, sashings, and quilt fabrics for baby quilts requested so far this year. Plus, some bird fabric that was paid (gifted) on our anniversary from my husband.
However, I'm going to my very first real quilt retreat, plus a quilt expo this coming week. Tell me if I'll buy a few fabrics! LOL! But, it's coming up on my birthday so perhaps this is a reasonable expectation to buy some 'gifts' for myself, right?
Overall, it feels really good to recognize what I need versus what I 'want' every time I enter a quilt shop.
Way to go laynak! The want and need runs pretty close sometimes. But your Birthday and a quilt retreat and a quilt expo? All at one time? Well I must say, you are with very understanding folks here. Have fun.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:57 PM

No purchases for me lately but in May, a good friend gave me two huge sacks of scraps plus several UFO's that she did not want to finish. Last week, at my local Guild meeting, the ladies (including myself) divided up the large stash from one of our members who passed away 18 months ago. Her husband felt he could finally clean out her sewing room and knew that her wishes were to share with the Guild. So amidst some tears and quavery voices, we each took turns at choosing fabrics and FQ's. Took us about 90 minutes to get is all shared but each of us probably came home with a large box (think apple box size) of fabric, magazines, tools and patterns. I have enough 'stuff' now that I think I can stay busy for years and not buy anything else. P.S. You all know that isn't going to happen!
Old 06-10-2014, 05:56 AM

Sandy: No demerits there. All of the fun without any of the guilt. Hope someday in the distant future I can make my fellow quilters stash happy.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:06 AM

Darn, I stuck with using my stash for a quilt that featured really cute cat fabric. But, my stash coordinating fabrics were limited and making up a pattern for the cat fabric was difficult. I made 'something' that's 24 x 56 and directional for the cat blocks. But, what is it? I'm disappointed the colors of coordinating fabrics overwhelm the feature fabric of cats.
It's a going away gift for a friend & no time to do something else. I'm not finished with the binding but when I am, I'll post a picture. Perhaps someone can give me an idea for it's potential use.
Anyone else been a bit disappointed with a quilt outcome from 'applied stash'?
Old 06-10-2014, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

That Warm Wishes quilt sure is pretty. I've been working with the stash I got in Livermore a few months ago. Used up most of each FQ in the pack. All the blocks are done and most of them are prepped for rows (doing it in blocks of 3 as it is getting rather large). Then I used all the little strips last night and sewed them together. Now I am going to make a strip-pieced quilt from those left-overs.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

Thanks Martina :-). Can't wait to see your "stash" quilt.