2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 06-15-2014, 02:58 AM

Oh, Emma, I totally get what you're saying. I have a stash of fabrics and patterns. Never will get it all done in my lifetime. But it's all organized now, so that will help.
ScissorQueen...you are something else to not have bought "stuff" this year. You have stamina!
Old 06-15-2014, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Good going, ladies. Since I fell off the wagon so fiercely, I am actually working on some stash. Not quite ready for pics yet, but the 11 rows of 9 are already sewn. Now I have to press and sew the rows together. I have the backing in my stash AND I picked out the quilting pattern too. This one stands a chance of getting FINISHED! yeah

There were small strips of all the main fabrics left over, so I sub-cut them into varying width and sewed them together into a long piece. (2) 57" x 10" When I have time I am going to cut that length into narrower strips and alternate those with a solid for a strip quilt. Have been jonesing to make one of those for a while since I took the class on craftsy.

Last edited by MadQuilter; 06-15-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:46 PM

Congratulations Sissors Queen.

I too have been good at no fabric purchase. I did pick up three of the cutest panels at the Minnesota quilt show, but one was a gift for a friend and the others are to keep in my stash for the SP swap.

Now we need a patter Moratorium because I bought plenty of those at the quilt show.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:54 PM

ok off the wagon. I gave up trying. I buy fabric to make me happy.... I don't shop for anything else but food and necessities. It is my downfall in a good way. I always gift all my items usually its the only gift I have. but it is home made, with love for people I love. Maybe a moritoruim works but not for me I have get this a three foot long bookshelf with three shelves. that is all the fabric I own. the top shelf is just small pieces. so maybe just maybe I am not doing too horrible? I hope so. last year I was very good at not shopping maybe 8 yrds? but this year I need backing and I need top stuff and argh not enough for the projects I need to complete. so.. love seeing the ufo's done love seeing others use their supplies not letting them grow old.. but me? I cant do it. simple pleasures for a simple girl.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:31 AM

What a perfect weekend....broke all rules with LQS shopping, quilt expo shopping, and on to a wonderful quilt retreat for 3 days in the mountains at a beautiful home, great teacher for 8 students, incredible food, and lots of fun being off-the-wall creative. I'm so glad I bought extra fabric because I USED it! I would've been short with what I 'thought' I'd need if I hadn't added to my supplies. Of course, my machine auto-threader quit and the rotary blade that was supposed to be 'new' was even older than the one I took off, but I managed with a little help from my friends. Nothing like poor eyesight and a top thread that kept needing to be re-threaded. But, I sure hope to make this an annual retreat! Perfect weather too!
Old 06-16-2014, 06:40 AM

Laynak: Sounds like heaven! I did not do well this weekend, can be summed up in two words, "Garage Sales". Saw this coming, sales have always been my biggest downfall.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
ok off the wagon. I gave up trying. I buy fabric to make me happy.... I don't shop for anything else but food and necessities. It is my downfall in a good way. I always gift all my items usually its the only gift I have. but it is home made, with love for people I love. Maybe a moritoruim works but not for me I have get this a three foot long bookshelf with three shelves. that is all the fabric I own. the top shelf is just small pieces. so maybe just maybe I am not doing too horrible? I hope so. last year I was very good at not shopping maybe 8 yrds? but this year I need backing and I need top stuff and argh not enough for the projects I need to complete. so.. love seeing the ufo's done love seeing others use their supplies not letting them grow old.. but me? I cant do it. simple pleasures for a simple girl.
As far as I can tell your purchases fit within the guidelines of the thread. You really didn't fall off the wagon at all. You are simply accounting for the additions you NEEDED. And I can tell that you really really needed them.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
Maybe we Washingtonians think alike!

Personally, I have not even opened emails from Fabric companies and don't go to JoAnn's when coupons arrive in my mail unless I realllllly need something. I recently sorted all of my fabric by color in large see through bins and was amazed at what I owned! I have plenty to make quilts for a small Army. Time to get sewing.

My commitment will fall short if I need a certain something to complete a look I want to create.
I am reading all Post from Beginning to end so I can play catch up. I love that I am not the only person who has OCD when organizing. All of mine are in color in there own designated space. So excited to see what you come up with.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:57 PM

I really love the challenge of not buying and using what we already have and finishing projects that have been around a while.

Here is one of my favorites only took me about 3 years but she is finally done. The other one was a work in process for about a year now and I have to admit I loved how it turned out and the recipients will love them too.[ATTACH=CONFIG]479791[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]479790[/ATTACH]
Old 06-19-2014, 04:59 PM

Oh Yes and from here on out I will try to swear to not buy any "unneccesary Fabric" So help me or else! And will promise to finish ones I have started and only use what I have. These are some tuff words to live by.