2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 07-19-2014, 07:56 AM

I ventured into a fabric store yesterday. I needed 2/3 of a yard of a blender. I got it, but I also bought a yard of a blue batik. Both will be used before the week is up. I left a pretty purple batik there as it would not have been used. All in all, I feel I stayed within the parameters of the moratorium. Too bad I had to buy fabric, but good I only bought what will be used immediately. I resisted three shelves of fabrics for $6 a yard. The bright modern prints called my name, but I quickly gave my attention to the pretty 30s prints which weren't calling me and exited.

When I arrived the owner greeted me with, "I wondered where you have been." Does that indicate I used to spend too much there?

Last edited by irishrose; 07-19-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

Bad news: the owner of one of my local quilt shops is retiring.
Good news: one of her employees will be taking over.
Bad news: they are going to have a huge inventory reduction sale before she does...
We will see how good my resolve is!
Old 07-19-2014, 12:32 PM

The row by row is also doing me in. I am having a bad shopping month and have definitely fell off the wagon. I am keeping track though and figured I would report the damage at the end of the month as DH and I are going on vacation at the end of the month and will be stopping at some of the LQS along the way that are participating in the Row by Row.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:22 PM
Power Poster

I ordered a bolt of Warm Blend batting last night - 50% off at Joann online and free shipping. If this won't motivate me to whittle down my UFO pile I don't know what will.

Had a quilt class on Thursday and took 3 yards from my stash. When I got to the LQS I realized that my contrast and color didn't work so I HAD TO buy 2 yards to use in the class. Here is what I made. This is my new go-to pattern for sure.
Attached Thumbnails img_0167.jpg  
Old 07-19-2014, 07:07 PM

Very pretty quilt Mad Quilter. Looks like it was a fun class.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
...Had a quilt class on Thursday and took 3 yards from my stash. When I got to the LQS I realized that my contrast and color didn't work so I HAD TO buy 2 yards to use in the class. Here is what I made. This is my new go-to pattern for sure.
Oh, you poor thing! Your color selection is wonderful! I love that pattern, and you can actually make a top in an evening, like after dinner. If anyone else is interested, I posted a tutorial here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...t-t209049.html
Old 07-20-2014, 06:15 AM

Martina: Love that purply red, and with the pink, that is going to be a great quilt. Paper Princess: Great tut. I am off and on the Board most days but missed your thread. Thanks for the second chance.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:06 AM

I bought 1 1/2 yards of blue fleece to finish a fleece blanket today along with a spool of thread and a packet of sewing machine needles. The blanket will be donated in November to a 'once a year' blanket tying party where the blankets are given to organizations that help people in need due to health, home situations, etc. It was on sale so I could also use my teacher discount.

I also have been good about not going to garage sales this summer. That doesn't mean I haven't accumulated more material because I have had donations given to me to use for quilts for a couple of places that I volunteer.

So my stash has grown but basically through donations.

Connie
Old 07-21-2014, 04:22 AM

I can't remember the last time I bought a lot of fabric. I'm guessing before Christmas. I met The Man in Seattle for a long weekend since he was there for a conference. I got there just in time for the conference dinner Thursday night at Suncadia Resort and on Friday morning we went into Seattle for the weekend. All the walking about did me in, I won't lie, but I made a find at Undercover Quilts in the Pike's Place Market. I bought the "Glacier" quilt kit, a coordinating FQ bundle to make help stretch it to king size (I hope), 2 other beautiful batik FQ bundles in yellow/orange/red, and 2 patterns for 12" beach themed blocks. If I hadn't had to have flown it home, I probably would have bought matching yardage for the rest of the expansion and backing, but I'm hoping I can find a coordinating fabric online. I wanted a couple other instructions, but found them either too vague or they were paper piecing, which scares the bejesus out of me. I spent nearly $200, but he said buy whatever I liked and waited in the "husband parking" area outside, then carried it the rest of the day for me. I'll definitely go back if I'm ever in Seattle again!
Old 07-22-2014, 07:08 PM

Quiltmouse, Please don't hang your head. Hold it up high and smile. Sometimes a gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do and I think you definitely needed that white for the projects you have planned. Nothing wrong in buying for something we are making soon.
Martina, The baby quilt is very cute. I can see why you have a 'reputation' ...and a good one at that.
Laynak, I think you did awesome to make it 9 months without a fall.
Paperprincess, who can resist a sale. I think we have a clause that gives us a free pass when there is a sale we can't ignore. What's wrong with saving money! LOL!
Dusty'smomma- I am glad you have such a nice 'guy' and to even carry your purchases for the rest of the day. Wow! Sadly, I have not had much of a chance to sew/quilt in the last month . Too much company and a summer yard! I think I am hoping for a long, cold winter. At least I have not bought anything for 2 weeks since my little purchase from CT of the flannel quilt with the colored squares. ...oh and two thimbles.