2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 08-23-2014, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

I had a lovely time at the AQS Show! Lots of wonderful quilts to look at. As a souvenir of Grand Rapids, I got a FQ bundle of neutral batiks. I don't think souvenirs count. My biggest challenge so far this year is coming next week, however. 50% off at my LQS. They are changing ownership and trying to get the inventory down. I'll report back next week...
Old 08-23-2014, 05:10 AM

Well as foreseen I fell off the wagon but not where I thought I would. Garage sale. Eight yards of high quality LQ fabric for $3 per yard. More than I usually pay at garage sales but this had been purchased as a lot from a LQ that was going out of business, still on the bolt. What's a quilter to do? Worst of it is those sales are still calling my name.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:41 AM

Wow Emma...$3/yd! Such a great deal. The way I see this moratorium thing is that we aren't supposed to just go out and buy random fabrics for who knows what...but when good deals come along, we are foolish if we don't take advantage. My quilter friend in another state said she bought bolts of fabric at $5/yd the other day and felt she really got some good deals, if only to use fabric for backing..with prices being what they are now. It really warms my heart when I hear of a quilter here or somewhere else..getting a steal of a deal on good fabric. So I say...way to go and just keep sewing everyone...if you die with fabric..so what...It will go to someone else who's good fortune will be to find a steal at an estate auction! :-)
Old 08-23-2014, 08:39 AM

I'm with Paper P, fabric souvenirs purchased from Fields Fabric vender at the Grand Rapids AQS show.........and tools (scissors) don't count correct? And sparkles are popular with venders..........
Old 08-23-2014, 02:48 PM

Paper Princess: I agree souvenirs don't count and good neutral batiks are hard to find, so how could you pass that by. Sandy: So true, when I kick off I hope to make any number of quilters deliriously happy, just pass that good fabric karma right along. Calla, I reread your post three times, somewhere in there I think I read another mea culpa. Seems to be another case of deja vu all over again, wasn't there another confession that was very similar? I'm kind of at the place where I wonder what an out and out breaking of the moratorium would be. Going into a LQ and paying full price for 50 yards of fabric without any purpose at all in mind and with malice of forethought?
Old 08-23-2014, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

OK, now what all can I categorize as a souvenir? You gals are the best!
Old 08-24-2014, 03:46 AM

Oh good! Now I can call the "Row by Row" Experience buys "souvenirs" as they were all (but one) bought while traveling!! Gotta love this group! This leaves me smiling.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:57 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Well--today i bought myself a birthday present. That can't count, can it? Other than that, nothing has been purchased except finishing pieces for Linus quilts.

This is the fabric which caused me to fall. It has ore boats; it has the aerial bridge; it has split rock lighthouse. How could i possibly resist?

http://www.hingeleyroadquilting.com/...usivebali.aspx

Last edited by Krisb; 08-24-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:10 PM

What great MM fabric.

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
Well--today i bought myself a birthday present. That can't count, can it? Other than that, nothing has been purchased except finishing pieces for Linus quilts.

This is the fabric which caused me to fall. It has ore boats; it has the aerial bridge; it has split rock lighthouse. How could i possibly resist?

http://www.hingeleyroadquilting.com/...usivebali.aspx
Old 08-25-2014, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

We have a trip planned to Reno. Now I can look at it as a souvenir hunt.