Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 09-12-2016, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tkhooper View Post
love the train quilt. Definitely should be this year's mascot quilt for us. Can we (uh um) highjack it? Just the picture we are virtual after all.
absolutely!
Old 09-12-2016, 02:18 PM

OMG!!!! There are some stunning UFOs and scrappy no less, being finished. I am in awe! Beautiful.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieQuilts View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm more of a lurker than a poster but I really need some motivation with UFO's. I never made a complete list because I get overwhelmed before I get to the end. The last few years I've been quilting for charity, but now I also want to work on my own projects that have been put aside.

Looking forward to getting to know you.
I had something of the same problem, Annie. So I just made the list (even though it's STILL overwhelming), then I noted beside each UFO what was needed to finish it, such as "binding", or "quilting and binding", and so on.
I also noted how big the UFO was - queen, lap-quilt, wall-quilt, etc. That way, even if something needed "block assembly, quilting, and binding", if that was a wall-sized, it would help me determine how many hours it might take for me to finish.

My goal this year was to finish 1 UFO per month. In January, I finished 4, March 2, then life began to interfere and it went downhill from there. However, if I can finish one this month, I will still be "on track" of my goal of 1 per month.

Just set yourself a goal - nobody is going to be checking behind you, we will just celebrate with you. It doesn't matter if the finish is a mug-rug, or a king-sized quilt, we just want to celebrate finishes with you. Some of us have been very prolific, others just an occassional finish. But our ultimate goal is to make an impact (no matter how small) on our UFO's. There have even been some "non-quilting" UFO's noted as completed.

And just another note... MY UFO list really wasn't complete - I just listed the ones I could think of off the top of my head, without digging into the totes, bags and boxes. I really WOULD be overwhelmed then!!

I'm sure others in this group have other ways of tracking/listing their projects. There is no WRONG way to get started.
Just make a list of the ones you think wouldn't take too long... and pick one.

This group is great inspiration!!
Old 09-13-2016, 05:45 AM

So, I thought I'd share with you all the project that has prevented me from finishing any UFO's for August.
This quilt was a "consignment" - in other words, a customer said "I want... blah-blah-blah". It grew from being a lap-size to a queen-size.
Then, Janet-Lee of MQX sent out a request for edge-to-edge entries for MQX Midwest, so on a whim, I submitted it to MQX, and it was accepted as a finalist!!

Anyway, now that this is complete, I just need to ship it off, then I can focus on UFO's again.

(Hopefully the pics upload)
the first pic is the while quilt, the second is the center panel and the third is a detail of the stitching.
Attached Thumbnails pony-up-web.jpg   center-web.jpg   stitching-web.jpg  
Old 09-13-2016, 07:15 AM

That is beautiful Leta. Love that panel and superb quilting. I can see why it was picked as a finalist.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:27 AM

I know how UFO'as can add up, I just received the stuff my sister had before she passed, and in that there are at least 20 Ufo's, and only 2 of those are completed tops.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy View Post
I know how UFO'as can add up, I just received the stuff my sister had before she passed, and in that there are at least 20 Ufo's, and only 2 of those are completed tops.
My sister does some quilting, but she's not as avid as I am. Plus, she's very OCD, and will not start anything new until she finishes what she's currently working on. So, she never has UFO's, and I think if she were to inherit my sewing room, she'd have a nervous breakdown.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:46 AM

Makes me laugh and laugh Leta! Are you two opposites? My sister and I really were opposites most of the time. She was bright and bold and me shy and a bit reserved and the fabrics we were drawn to reflected that.

Kwiltkrazy I was gifted several totes from my sister's family and I smile when I see all those patterns and brightness in her fabrics. Can't say it started that way (cried when I first looked - yes I was the little crybaby sister) but overtime it has been a great comfort. I hope you find comfort from her creations too. Even the UFOs
Old 09-13-2016, 11:30 AM

Wonderful quilt, Leta; both the design and the quilting.

Kwiltkrazy, I've wished someone else in my family were a quilter, but now I see it may be a blessing that no one else even sews. Even if you don't want to finish all your sister's UFO's, there are lots of quilters always looking for more projects for charity. You could take comfort in knowing that the two of you together helped someone else.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:39 AM

I am curious about the general opinion on flimsies. I have several that are finished but I don't plan to complete them until I know who they will go to. I feel like these are UFOs but then again, I don't because they are at my desired stage of completion for now.

Would you consider these UFOs or no?
And actually, these are some of my favorite tops and I think, deep down, I don't really want them to leave home. One problem is, I don't have a place to use them at home either. LOL There are only about 4 or 5 of them. But I don't want them to live forever in a bag unseen and unappreciated either.