Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 12-09-2016, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
Does a big mending project qualify as a UFO? It involved all new backing, batting, and quilting.
If it's been sitting in your to do pile mocking you while you work on other more exciting (or less daunting) projects, then it's a UFO. Given my penchant for putting mending off for as long as possible, that would certainly be a UFO in my studio.

Rob
Old 12-09-2016, 06:52 AM

Thanks for the reply Rob, yes my mending of all kinds are UFO's that have little chance of seeing daylight!!!! lol Well then here is another UFO finished. Now I did not embroider or make the original quilt. It was a baby shower gift for my niece. It was a tied quilt w/ lots of untied space which I think contributed to the issues, the backing fabric was torn in several places, big tears, some batting missing. I put more batting in the whole quilt and rebacked the whole quilt. I kept the yarn ties to keep the "feel and look" of the front, but I also quilting along the seams [ATTACH=CONFIG]563360[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0520.jpg  
Old 12-09-2016, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

Nice save and no longer a UFO....
Old 12-09-2016, 07:43 PM

Kassundra, what a lovely mystery quilt completed. Just in time to work on this years mystery from BH.

very pretty pink quilt. Someone will just love this quilt. Nice job on both quilts.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:46 AM

Just like Rryder said, if it is something sitting there being avoided for a long while, it's a UFO. That being the case, congratulations and Toot, Toot for your UFO finish!

Anyone else have something sitting around "mocking" you that you can finish off before the end of the year??? We're getting close now. How many finishes will we have at the end of December 31st???
Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
Thanks for the reply Rob, yes my mending of all kinds are UFO's that have little chance of seeing daylight!!!! lol Well then here is another UFO finished. Now I did not embroider or make the original quilt. It was a baby shower gift for my niece. It was a tied quilt w/ lots of untied space which I think contributed to the issues, the backing fabric was torn in several places, big tears, some batting missing. I put more batting in the whole quilt and rebacked the whole quilt. I kept the yarn ties to keep the "feel and look" of the front, but I also quilting along the seams [ATTACH=CONFIG]563360[/ATTACH]
Old 12-11-2016, 04:25 AM

I'm trying to get motivated to get some of the floppies finished. I've found the "holdup" for me is selecting /seaming backing. Funny how that has turned out to be the part I don't like doing. Use to be binding, but I've learned how to do that by machine to my satisfaction, so it's not a big deal anymore.

I've put in to take the 29th and 30th off work (plus already having the 26th off) - I really want to have no 2015 started projects sitting at the floppy stage going into 2017. I've got enough 2016 floppies for that!
Old 12-11-2016, 04:45 AM

I really want to the "The Mullet" finished before the end of the year. It is more then a year overdue for the event it was going to be a gift for. I've been doing it QAYG (that is how I do most every quilt I quilt) so I'm down to borders and binding. I had a big miscalculation of how much fabric it would take and have had to "redesign" it several times.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:49 AM

I think it would be wise for me to join the UFO train in 2017, if its going to be operating next year. I have a half quilted full size Sunbonnet sue quilt from 2012 and some embroidered quilt blocks from the same year. Those are my oldest UFOs, but I have plenty others too!
Old 12-11-2016, 07:52 AM

What a nice save Kassaundra! I have a UFO finish. I started these (as in five) two years ago and got two done fairly quickly but the other three have languished. How many rows of squares can you sew before you don't want to pick it up again?! I wanted it to be about the fabric and not the design so they'll all be bordered fabric. This was my sister's fabric her family gave me after she passed. They make me smile as her fabrics reflect her personality.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]563458[/ATTACH]
While I would love to have the other two done before Christmas - I had to let that dream go. Chronic health conditions are just getting in the way. Maybe as a gag gift I can shoot for having them sandwiched and wrapped. I can already see the look on the ones who get the unfinished ones!
Attached Thumbnails dscn0803-3-.jpg  
Old 12-11-2016, 08:48 AM

Great finishes everyone.
Annaquilts, congrast on the 6 completed UFO's. I am sure you will get the other one done before the end of the year.

Letawellman - I hear you about the commute. I have a least an hour commute, sometimes more with road construction and winter road conditions. Just think of all we could get done with those 2 hours a day

Macybaby - Love your Cathedral Windows.

Libster - Great QAYG. Have never done one, but it is on my to-do list.

Kassaundra - great finishes and welcome to the group.

Elly66 - Very nice.

DH and I will be heading to his Mom's for the holidays so I have been busy quilting the floppy's and putting on the bindings. I am packing a special bag so I can finish hand sewing the bindings and will hopefully end this challenge with a few more finishes for 2016. I also have a 6 hour one-way car ride trip, which for the trip down will be mostly daylight hours so I am thinking I can get at least two of the smaller ones done on the road while he is driving.