Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 01-28-2016, 06:13 AM

Sunrise, i sort of organized my UFO's by how much (or how little) is left to get them completed - which is why I finished 3 so far - they were all pretty much just getting the binding on (but I hate binding, hence the fact that they were UFO's). I'm hoping that the 3 - almost 4 - flimsies will be my finishes next month. And the next ones after those all require some piecing, so I'm certain that this month will probably be my most productive.

letawellman, Thank you for the encouragement, I really needed that. That is exactly what I am going to do today. Every ufo is going to be rounded up, counted and listed in the order I am going to finish them. Goodness, it's going to take all afternoon just doing that! It will end up being organized and I love that.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:52 AM

I have completed UFO #4
[ATTACH=CONFIG]541353[/ATTACH]
Black/Yellow Twister Wall Hanging This project was originally a class that I took at a LQS in January of 2012 to learn the Little Twister techique. I quilted the piece in February 2014 as I was going to use it for the QB WH Swap; however, never got the binding on before the deadline and it has been sitting in the to be bound pile ever since.
Attached Thumbnails 20160128_081807_resized.jpg  
Old 01-28-2016, 09:09 AM

Sunrise, do not feel guilty about not having any finishes. Like many others who have had multiple finished this month I worked on projects that just needed the binding so that definitely was the main reason I was able to have the finishes I did.

I know that for myself the finishes will be slowing down. I am hopeful for another 4 and crossing my fingers for 5 in February as I do have some more binding only projects hanging out, which are great when you just want to kick back and have something to do when watching TV. However, I am going to strive to finish my King Size quilt before the end of the month. I still have about 15 blocks to make, 3 more rows, a pieced border, and a regular border to put on before it can even think about making its way to the quilter. I need a snow day
Old 01-28-2016, 09:36 AM

I've been lurking on the sidelines and just wanted to let you all know how inspiring you are! I might get a few finishes done this year but with working full time, family and being back in school my sewing time has been pretty slim but as I just finished the class from "hell" I'm hoping my time will be a little more free. In the meantime I'll be watching in awe with your amazing finishes!
Old 01-28-2016, 10:36 AM

SuzieSew, I have been lurking for 2 years. This year I really figured I would make this a priority. Need to get some of my projects finished.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:59 AM

My apologies for all but disappearing. I've been inundated with family obligations for the last 4 or 5 days and then today, I awoke with a ferocious bug (fever, headache, the rest I won't elaborate on) and am just now coming up alive enough to be able to write this. When I'm back to myself, I'll check back in and review all the posts. Hopefully that will be sometime tomorrow. In the meantime, please celebrate each other's UFO finishes. A quick look through the last few days has seen some wonderful pictures!

Again, sorry, but I'll be back as soon as I can.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:25 PM

Toot toot Anoka! Bravo

@Janice McC: Get well soon.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:12 PM

Anoka, I love the black and yellow twister quilt! It's beautiful!!

Well, I loaded the "Daughter" wall hanging quilt on the frame last night. I pieced this one awhile back, and could just not think of how to quilt it. I finally decided to at least do the SID around the blocks, thinking maybe I'll get inspired.

Nah, it just isn't happening.
I have managed to get about halfway through the SID (Stitch-in-the-ditch for any newbies). It was getting late, so when the bobbin ran out, I went on to bed. The blocks are "sayings" printed on some heavy muslin, and they're two sizes, about 3" and about 5". The smaller blocks have two borders/sashings around them, and the large blocks only have one, so they end up being about the same size, about 7". I've been thinking about it off and on here at work today, and I think I may either (1) just leave it plain ol' SID (can you tell I'm not really enthused with this one?!?) or (2) echo quilt around the sayings and maybe a little "modern" (think Judi Madsen) on the sashing.

I wonder why it is that something catches our eye (especially at quilt shows!), we quickly buy it, and then somewhere along the way, "the bloom" falls off.
This one is one of those.
At one point, I loved the sayings, loved the fabrics, but now... it's just not speaking to me.

I will be giving this to my daughter... and I'm going to tell her that it's for her, and if she wants to "give it" to HER daughter (who is due to arrive in mid-April), then that's fine by me. And I DID truly buy this with her in mind long ago, but... like I said, my enthusiasm has just died on this one.

We're supposed to go see them this weekend, so I'm going to try to finish it either tonight (which probably means it will stay SID only) or tomorrow (perhaps echoes and "light" modern?).

As much as I'm not happy with it, I will take pics anyway for everyone else to see - and perhaps y'all can tell me why I feel like it's so "blah" now. Plus it will be either the last finish of January or the first finish for February.

Woot!Woot!! Look at the time!! It's time to go home!!
Old 01-28-2016, 02:27 PM

Leta your whole cloth quilt is stunning.

Rob
Old 01-28-2016, 02:35 PM

Fantastic tessellating twister Anoka! Love the the colors.

Rob