2021 Fabric Moratorium

Old 02-04-2021, 02:40 PM

All stash. My first major FMQ. My first applique. My first pieced border. And seriously larger than originally planned. Final size 72 x 72.

The story. I'm a teacher and when we first closed \ went remote for the spring 2020 a colleague became my life line. She and I leaned on each other so hard ... I don't know if we could have made it without each other. I had epic Covid Anxiety. And my sewing machine is...well "This I can control. I will do this...alot of this."

My Covid Anxiety has moved into the Covid Blues and there are some days I feel so hollow. Everything is a charade. But the sewing machine: "This I can control" and my work friend continues to support with kind words and funny memes.

So I pulled some FQ from stash and some beige that I thought would work as background. I had bought the border as "I need to support my LQS!" And decided to match everything to that. The paws came together so easily. But I looked and had a ton of scraps and then decided to make a border. And then it needed another. And how is my sloppy piecing going to match in the corners? I decided to add the bear applique...which meant I needed to LEARN applique.

Then I did the straight line quilting in the sashing and decided it needed more so then I decided to just *go for it* and FMQ the borders and blocks.

It was supposed to be a nice little couch quilt. But like my friend's huge heart....it grew.
Attached Thumbnails img_20210204_171301100.jpg   img_20210204_171048337.jpg  
Old 02-04-2021, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

What a great inspiration! Making lemonade out of lemons takes a little work, and you have done well. We are so lucky to have something to have "control" over. And not only that you have a wonderful, delightful quilt.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

Haven’t had much time in the sewing room the past couple weeks but I used stash to finish the sashing and borders on my 2020 Temperature quilt- it’s Huge!like 104” X 108””. I really didn’t expect it to turn out so big. The whole quilt, 366 (3 1/2” x 6 1/2” flying geese blocks plus 11 sashing strips, top & bottom black fabrics to make each month/ column the same length ( since the months don’t all have the same number of days) and borders around- all stash and scraps. It was quite an adventure. And amazing I stuck it out through the whole year— that amazes me more than anything.
I also sent my son 3 yards of stash fabric he needed for a project he’s working on.
i thought I had a picture of the temperature quilt but can’t find it now so will share one after I take another one.
Here’s a picture of the quilt my son just finished. He ( thread painted) the center block Olaf freehand with his sewing machine- decided he loves doing that.
the other picture is a quilt he made out of cut up denim jeans
Attached Thumbnails 081f1ca3-c0f7-4b4d-bc3d-41bf6d9c7fc1.jpeg   df6e5800-7c39-4428-af20-c6759596adbe.jpeg  
Old 02-04-2021, 05:37 PM

Rob: I saw your quilt on the Color Block FB page. I loved reading the comments.

Rff1010: Congratulations on all of those firsts and finishing the awesome quilt! As a retired teacher and a substitute until last March, I too went through COVID anxiety and sometimes the blues when school closed down. I haven’t gone back yet this year and may wait until fall. Do you know when you can go back?

ckcowl: I’m looking forward to seeing your temperature quilt. You must be bursting at the seams with happiness for your son and the skills he has been learning while at his home.

Old 02-05-2021, 04:00 AM

Wow rf1010- so many firsts and you did a great job with all of them. Well done! And wonderful backstory that I think so many of us can relate to in these strange times.

Rob
Old 02-05-2021, 04:05 AM

Ckcowl- congratulations on sticking with the temp. Quilt- that’s quite an accomplishment. Looking forward to pics when you get time. Your son is doing some amazing work with both thread painting and piecing and helping you whittle down your stash at the same time-thanks for sharing those pics.

Rob
Old 02-05-2021, 04:18 AM

Rff1010, I can relate to a point. I taught after-school classes in the metro area where I lived until my move. I had already given notice & my last week was the week prior to spring break, which happened to be when Covid shutdowns began. Kids in that area left for SB & never returned. Remote learning began right after that. So the company I worked for also began remote programs, conducted by their office staff only. I would have been out of a job even without giving notice. I spent only 2 months in limbo, wondering if my house would sell, having to do some major projects on it, all on my retirement income & no extra from a job. During this time my fabric was locked away in storage & I couldn't sew, fabric stores were closed, I had no extra cash to buy fabric anyway... Then someone donated fabric to anyone who would sew masks. I used my daughter's sewing machine (which she has for craft sewing) & that helped me a lot. Your quilt is wonderful! And a great use of stash.
Old 02-05-2021, 04:22 AM

Ckcowl, I recall the in-progress picture your temperature quilt you posted & I love it. A project such as that can grow & grow, right? The fact it's all from stash is amazing. You've obviously passed on your quilting talents to your son, as well as stash! I'll bet you can see some dents in it now.
Old 02-05-2021, 04:55 PM

Congratulations everyone on your beautiful, inspiring finishes!
Old 02-05-2021, 06:10 PM

I finally finished my grandson’s first quilt! Whew! I will give it to him on Sunday for his first birthday which was this week. I saw a quilt I liked and then had a problem getting it graphed correctly with the changes I wanted to make. 🤷‍♀️ This is the first time I made a flanged binding. It worked well but I missed the back seam. Oh, well! Tomorrow I will wash it with some color catchers.

42.5” by 48”. It was the first time I made a label also. I will tack it down before I gift it.

Attached Thumbnails f1529f01-d028-4e49-a476-093fe362d56f.jpeg   2c7bc982-75ed-444a-bdbc-9ed02a2cdc82.jpeg   99a49357-2ab1-425f-a777-03c804e5bf24.jpeg