2021 Fabric Moratorium

Old 08-10-2021, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Julienm1 View Post
Just got back from the quilt group. DH helped me wheel in the suitcase...I carried the tote. Put the suitcase on the stage and the quilters couldn't wait to start fondling!!! I used small baggies for smaller pieces. Not sure how much was left cuz I had an appointment but wished I could have stayed to watch the "feeding frenzy!" Repeat the process a week from Sat with dif quilt group. Bit by bit my undesirables are leaving.
What a good way to clear some of your stash! I gave away a bin full of fabric during COVID. Donated to some fashion design students who were making masks for all sorts of community agencies and organizations when the mask mandate first was in place. It felt so good to free myself from what I would not ever use. You must be flying high. Roll'in, roll'in, roll'in, keep that suitcase roll'in!
Old 08-10-2021, 06:52 AM

Always glad to see the returnees and see the updates!

Wowza, Motor Madeline -- look at you go. One of my good friends is a major fan of the quillow, that's how she does most of her projects.

I wish I could report further progress in organization and fabric usage, but the hubby had an unexpected day off, he had been scheduled to work 10-12 hour days for about 10 days in a row, but on Saturday his shift for Sunday was cancelled so we took advantage of a date day and got nothing but together time accomplished. A very great accomplishment And then yesterday I did a very good imitation of a sloth.

Today is my Tuesday group. I'm going to start pinning frog and alternate blocks together. We are expecting medical news, good or bad, from one of the group today and are expecting everyone to be there.
Old 08-15-2021, 04:21 PM

I never realized how often I sew a few seams at a time until I couldn't. I just went almost four days with power. We were projected for six days, so it's good that it is back on. Okay, I can't sew - I'll get some fabric cut - no, it's not pressed.
The worst was that I had company and couldn't cook for them. But it's all minor when you consider what the people in fire or flood areas are going through.
I am thankful for Consumers Energy people and their hard work. We have workers from seven states here.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:19 AM

My household reorganization continues, last week I won a bid I didn't expect to win and we picked up a 400 CD (yes... 400) changer on Sunday. It is so big it has to go where the old "fat screen tv" used to be. It works but was missing the remote and that's sort of crucial, I've found a local one I can pick up today.

And that was out past the big Goodwill in downtown Seattle so we stopped by and found a number of things, including a couple pieces of my Pfaltzgraff dishes I didn't have. I know they released stuff every year for the past half century at least but I'm always surprised when I find something I didn't have.

Considering the temptations, I did pretty good fabric-wise while thrifting this weekend with the hubby. Current Goodwill "full price" is $2/yard, so I got 4 yards (big enough for a back!) of a rather strange large scale Moda. If it doesn't come out in the picture, the background is mostly pink with a subtle light stripe I think the other floral has all sorts of possibilities...
Attached Thumbnails 100_6180.jpg  
Old 08-16-2021, 08:25 AM

Looks like I missed posting before, I wanted to commiserate with you a bit IrishRose It's like the song, you never know what you've got 'til its gone. Or just when we are told we can't. In so many ways, my life post-Covid isn't very much different at all than it was before -- but it sure feels different. I have to be prepared for power outages and such and my fabric and such usually isn't one of those things. I do have a knitting tote, I'm not very good but trying to relearn "blind" with my vision issues so theoretically (and this dog blanket especially) I can even do it in the dark.

One thing I have found out is that computer solitaire has spoiled me for the real thing. Goodness! All the shuffling and re-dealing and such in real life.

But, things are getting back in many ways. So glad you are safe and dry and have power. Likewise over here.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:56 PM

Well I just spent a few hours today folding and shoehorn-ing new acquisitions into storage. And.... I'm back on the wagon. Outta space, plenty of PIGS (projects in bags). Just need to do the work.

Good news is I took machine in for service while I was on vacation so everything is oiled and running smoothly.
Old 08-17-2021, 04:42 AM

Oh dear, I fell off the wagon. Last Wednesday I went into the quilt store to buy a wide back for my August color block quilt and some fabric to back my doodle quilt. I came out with: 1. a wide back for the August quilt. 2. a dyeable wide back that I can dye paint to match my doodle quilt. 3. a bunch of blenders from the remnant bin (haven’t counted up the yardage yet). 4. had signed up for a class that was on Saturday. 5. bought the pattern and 6. the two rulers needed for the class and went home.

Took the class on Saturday and used up 20 fat quarters from stash as well as 3 yards of WOW. Still need to put all the blocks together and add sashing and borders. It was a lot of fun and I’m thinking that I may have used up enough stash to offset the blenders I bought….

Rob
Old 08-17-2021, 08:26 AM

OK, Rob you reassured me you are taking good care of yourself physically. Doesn't sound like you just completely broke and went hog wild in the shop, so guess we can say -- we want pix of the class project!

The CD changer looks like it needs a shop visit, even with the remote I wasn't able to get it working correctly. I think the basic bench fee is about $100, it will still be worth parts up to another 100, but after that it gets in the good money after bad sort of thing. I'm hoping it will be like a $7 part with the $100 of labor and I'd be very happy.

Last week the Tuesday group met outside and it was not conducive to working, so I have the combinations of frogs to star blocks to pin together. In very good news, the health concerns came back as negative which was the wonderful answer.

Tomorrow I think I will be continuing to help my friend organize her stash and projects, will find out today at group. We've made wonderful progress, but still haven't found the two specific projects I'm looking for, so I can make blocks for them instead of starting another one of my own projects. Downstairs is looking good now, but tomorrow we begin upstairs. She has really nice things and they have been well taken care of, this isn't a hoarder just a stash that exploded. LOL, I can tell the difference
Old 08-17-2021, 12:32 PM

Seriously down sizing. Kitting fabrics and donating the kits. We're moving and I'm cleaning out. So far have 1 quilt that needs binding and 5 kits ready to move out. I've spent yrs trying to down size and now it's full out mode.
Old 08-17-2021, 01:40 PM

Rff1010: I’m glad your machine is ready to go so you can start tackling your PIGS.

rryder: Sometimes we just need fabric therapy. I hope you are feeling better.

Iceblossom: Sounds like you have a good plan for getting your CD changer fixed.

petthefabric: Way to go with kitting up fabric and donating it. Will you be moving far?

I remembered to snap a picture of my Growing Up Odd quilt top. It was sandwiched by the church group and was in line to be tied in this picture.

Attached Thumbnails 5659c30a-23da-42c9-8a48-29735eb024b1.jpeg  

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 08-17-2021 at 01:43 PM.