2021 Fabric Moratorium

Old 08-20-2021, 04:32 AM

Petthefabric, what an awesome reason for a move.

Motorcylemad, what awesome tops!

I have been too busy with my organizational stuff to even be tempted by fabric. Or at least I haven't had the time to either be tempted or sew. Yesterday I did a bunch of stuff in the sewing room, today I do hope to put it back to sewing state and maybe do those seams I pinned at Tuesday group.

We still haven't found either the pumpkin or purple & green quilt projects my friend has, I was hoping to make some blocks for those before starting another project of my own. Still weeks before I can expect Bernie back and try some quilting down. What to do, what to do...
Old 08-20-2021, 06:53 AM

So the good new is my arm is on the mend. (I broke it while taking a walk. 'cause I'm *extra*) I have 95% of my range of motion and have enough grip strength to ...well making dinner no longer knocks me out. I am able to get back to the sewing table. I've been testing myself for the past few days. Large projects which require stretch my arm out fully are still no-go but I seem to be ok with basic cutting and block piecing. I've been testing myself with some flannel scraps that I'm putting into pieced backing for projects that don't exist yet. It's amazing how the 8" x 90" pieces of long arm leftovers can actually become something useful with a little time and courthouse steps technique.

Valid to this thread because it means less shopping for backings later...or at least just enough for the immediate need.

I have now 3 projects on hangers needing sandwiching and quilting. But I don't think I am up for that yet.
Old 08-20-2021, 07:11 AM

Rff1010, glad to hear you are getting back to some sewing!

I am close to moving on from my current prep/leader-ender quilt to the next in line, which will be a simple black and gold design. I planned it so as to use up some gold, but I did have to buy some black FQ to pair with the gold.
Old 08-20-2021, 04:12 PM

Rff1010: Ouch to breaking your arm. I’m glad it’s healing.

Old 08-21-2021, 04:13 AM
Power Poster

I stopped in to our little local quilt shop this week, hadn’t stopped by in months. Lots of new beautiful fabrics on the shelves. All I picked up were 2 new reds in fat quarters I need for some log cabin blocks I need to make- when cleaning/ organizing my shelves I realized I don’t have many reds left- needed a couple. I went in with a need- and even though I did spend some time admiring the new fabrics I only grabbed what I needed.
I need to keep working on making a dent in my scraps or pass them on- every time I think I have them under control over night they seem to multiply.
Old 08-21-2021, 01:08 PM

Lots of good news here. I'm glad you arm is healing, RFF1010. Using it to tolerance has to be good for the continued healing.
ckcowl, good job only buying what you went for. I have to stay out of fabric stores because I have become addicted to ombres and both stores have some gorgeous ones. I am using a piece of Moda Grunge wrong side up rather than go to a store.

Motorcyclemaid, very nice tops. I particularly like the TATW.

petthefabric, I can't imagine moving, but I'm glad you will be near your daughter. I have two daughters within five miles. One twenty, one a hundred and a son 500 miles. He drove from Georgia (he lives in Kentucky) last weekend to take me canoeing. A fun day.

Old 08-23-2021, 07:09 AM

Cool tops, Motorcyclemad!
Glad you're healing,RF1010.
Petthefabric- way to go on moving closer to your daughter!

Here's a photo of the quilt I'm piecing now, it's from the class that I impulsively signed up for when I was at the fabric shop two Wed. ago. It was a lot of fun and I think I'm going to be making it a little larger by adding some more snail trail blocks to the top.
All from scraps and stash. Just had to buy the rulers and the pattern. I think I'll make more as it really lends itself to using up the sizes of scraps I store.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails img_2893.jpg  
Old 08-23-2021, 10:20 AM

Glorious colors! Keep going, if you don't you will wish you had.
Old 08-23-2021, 10:37 AM

Rob - that's a stunner! Yes please keep going. Beautiful use of scrap\ stash. Could make a great queen bed size if you were of a mind to do so.
Old 08-23-2021, 04:20 PM

rryder, that is a stunning little quilt! I love how you mixed the snail’s trail with diamonds! It is so bright and happy. The colors just dance!