2021 Fabric Moratorium

Old 07-02-2021, 09:01 AM

Very pretty, Teen. I like sampler quilts, but have never made one. I have 11 blocks my SIL completed and fabric for a 12th. I may have to get on it. My brother likes it when I finish one of hers. It's soft colors, too.
Old 07-02-2021, 04:27 PM

Thanks for the compliments.

Iceblossom: Thank you for your response. I chuckled at your second paragraph about ‘not knowing you had been dealt with.’ I like that you added things that have significance for her. My church group people also have certain jobs they like to do.

oksewglad: Yes, it would look good in r/w/b. I went out of town earlier than I planned 2 weeks ago and was gone for 6 days and realized when I got back that I needed to make this an easy quilt and use 3 constant colors rather than make it super scrappy since the QAL was only a few days later. 🤷‍♀️
Old 07-05-2021, 08:18 AM

Brian did pass this weekend. The Tuesday ladies will come together tomorrow.

Especially with the plane quilt, I am reminded of "High Flight"
https://nationalpoetryday.co.uk/poem/high-flight/
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...

Back in the days of TV station sign offs, one of the Anchorage stations closed their daily broadcast with a reading/video of this poem. Things my grandson will not know except as history -- television sign offs and the sound of a phone modem/the correct inflection of "You've Got Mail".
Old 07-06-2021, 06:00 AM

I am not doing as well as last year, I am starting to believe that COVID had a lot to do with it. I purchased a beautiful piece of orange/rust blender just because I had to have it. Now it is still sitting in its bag on the floor in my studio until I can get things put away. This is always a good reason not to buy fabrics. I suppose it will be used very soon as I have a "plan" for it. I haven't done this in a long time.
Old 07-06-2021, 01:59 PM

The Tuesday Quilters convened and presented the top to Janice, our hostess. She was touched and everyone was pleased at how it had turned out, some hadn't seen it in person except for their own blocks, or saw the other blocks but not the layout in person. Although she plans to keep hostess duties, she did remind us that she could go other places too now. (Were we being handled??)

I've been working on Aunt Debbie Bleeds Blue and was reporting progress in the Virtual Weekend thread. I have 60 more dark blue fan blades to cut -- need to select 5 more fabrics for the Darks. Yellow are done, light blue are done, half the dark blue are done. I fussy cut the Michigan fabrics, the rest are most definitely not fussy cut! The back I bought should come today or tomorrow and I will see how well the blues go together. Even if not ideally perfect, blue works with blue.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:46 PM

Still working through my pre-cuts…..This week, I’m tackling a layer cake…I have 5 more layer cakes to go.. geesh…
Old 07-06-2021, 06:12 PM

Iceblossom: My sympathy on the loss of Brian. Bless your hostess for wanting to continue for now yet looking at options without him. You are making good progress on Debbie’s quilt.

Teen: Good for you on tackling your layer cakes.

I probably am unusual in the fact that I haven’t ever owned a layer cake or charm pack. 🙂. I’m trying to concentrate on finishing WIPs this week so I can get started on one of my UFOs.

Old 07-07-2021, 03:20 AM

Iceblossom, I’m so sorry about Brian.

Teen- I am always amazed at the projects you come up with for using precuts. In particular, I remember a series that you do from a fat quarter bundle. Makes me want to run right out and buy some LOL!

Rob
Old 07-07-2021, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
Still working through my pre-cuts…..This week, I’m tackling a layer cake…I have 5 more layer cakes to go.. geesh…
I have a pile of them just looking at me. What patterns or blocks are you making with them? Would love some new ideas so I can reduce the height of that beautiful pile of ten-inch squares. I have done the "double cut" from MSQ and it works well. But always ready to try something new too.
Old 07-07-2021, 02:48 PM

Rob and WMUTeach….there are so many books on patterns for precuts. I am currently working on a Layer Cake from Fig Tree called All Hallows’ Eve….orange, black and grays…wanted to make some kind of Halloween//Pumpkin or sampler quilt with it but it just sat there. Then, I stumbled on a pattern called Hocus Pocus by The Pattern Basket…she used this collection to make it so, of course, that was it. My pumpkins are almost done..

I bought the Perfect 10 pattern book from FQS and will likely use up the other Layer Cakes using this book. Most of the patterns call for one layer cake or less..

WMUTeach..…I found this free pattern from Bear Creek Quilting company….It is Layer cake friendly though I used yardage cuz I wanted to use some yardage I had.. Pattern name is: Honeybell. Also, google free pattern: Zig Zag Zoom…that is the other quilt shown…

Attached Thumbnails d053b4c7-07b0-4de0-8b7e-9e1c309bcf98.jpeg   33bbe10e-20af-466c-8cc3-c49eef5e564c.jpeg