2021 Fabric Moratorium

Old 07-11-2021, 05:22 AM

Rickrack has been repurchased. It was on sale even, so $1 each for the spools, cheap enough for me! Should mention that it is a poly trim (most of them are, including Wrights), but it has held up to all my torture tests including the iron steaming like a dragon. With the poly there will also be no dye transfer into the trim.

I was able to walk right by the sale fabrics even though there was most of a bolt of bird fabric that was enough for a back and only $3 a yard. (Able to walk by after I looked of course, but able to leave without any.)

The ordered back for Aunt Debbie's quilt came in, it is a lovely thing.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

It is kind of (amazing?) the changes we have all gone through this past 2 years- in ways — in my mind- I should have been crazy productive during the lock down- but … well, you know.
since my TBI happened on October 1, 2019 and I had been pretty isolated, only leaving the house for therapy and neurologist appointments- when the lockdown started in March I thought “ we’ll this isn’t going to effect me- I’ve been isolated for 6 months already “ but you know what? It was different, and it did effect me. Suddenly I couldn’t even go to therapy or appointments- everything was on line. I think it was April, maybe May when my husband asked me what was loaded up on the Longarm. I’m sure I looked at him like he had lost his mind. Nothing! I hadn’t even opened the door to my studio in 7 or 8 months- I had lost the ability to write my name- I couldn’t even think about trying to sew. He said- “ I’m worried about your well being- I want you to go in and load up some practice thing and quilt it. “
I sat around for 2 or 3 more days- thinking about that- then finally got brave enough to go in and load something up, wound bobbins, threaded, everything ready and walked away again. I think it took another week for me to finally go in and start sewing. I grabbed those handlebars, one line across the top then started to write! I couldn’t write At All with a pencil- but with the machine my penmanship was Beautiful! I wrote and wrote and wrote all over that practice quilt.I think that was a major turning point for my recovery, my life was not over- I could still quilt. Even though that was 14 months ago I’m still not productive like I was before the injury. I can sew for about an hour sometimes 2 on blocks/ projects. I can only quilt for 45 minutes to an hour before a headache starts or things start going wonky. And I don’t have a lot of motivation. I have been back to work full time for 8 months now and the people I work with have been wonderful- looking out for me and seeing progress. I want to get more done in the sewing room- I want to get that stack of quilts quilted that Ben made, I want to be creative- but something has changed. I’ve changed. I’ve thought seriously that I need to really get in gear and get the ufos finished up then sell the machine and move on- but then I wonder- would I be ok? I don’t know why this is where my mind goes… guess time will tell. I’m tired of funerals- I’m tired of angry people, I’m just plain tired and I know I’m not alone. We all hate change and when it’s so drastic and sudden….oh well- ( spilling my guts- again, is over) I don’t know why I’ve had this need to ( share) so much lately…just another phase on my journey I guess…
thanks for being here. 🤗
Old 07-11-2021, 11:24 AM

CK; I hear you. healing takes time. And it's so slow, we can't see it happening. Professionals say don't make any major decisions while recovering. Supportive people around us help physically and mentally. We are relationship beings. Very few people survive emotionaly without other people. Kudos to your husband.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:07 AM

I haven't posted here in a while but I just wanted to check in with a purchase. Yes, a purchase. I have been quilting from my stash for nearly two years and now finding some holes in my stash. I needed purple and went shopping! I left with 7 quarter yard cuts and spend slightly more than $11.00. The best part was the store had fat quarters on sale for $2.85 but did not have the selection of colors I wanted. So I picked yardage to be cut at 1/4 yard. I spent only $1.25 per cut because the yardage was on sale!! Back to cutting and creating with minuscule additions to my stash.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:55 AM

Great use of willpower, WMUTeach!

Rob
Old 07-12-2021, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
I haven't posted here in a while but I just wanted to check in with a purchase. Yes, a purchase. I have been quilting from my stash for nearly two years and now finding some holes in my stash. I needed purple and went shopping! I left with 7 quarter yard cuts and spend slightly more than $11.00. The best part was the store had fat quarters on sale for $2.85 but did not have the selection of colors I wanted. So I picked yardage to be cut at 1/4 yard. I spent only $1.25 per cut because the yardage was on sale!! Back to cutting and creating with minuscule additions to my stash.

that is great,! Adding just what you need and getting a deal is a win- win.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:43 PM

In my personal challenge to use up my precuts…here is what I did with one Layer Cake..

Hocus Pocus, by The Pattern Basket

On to the next precut..
Old 07-12-2021, 06:29 PM

Way cool, Teen. I love seeing what you can do with precuts.

Rob
Old 07-13-2021, 07:01 AM

Teen -- that is so wonderful! Earlier this year when I won the thread auction there were some odds and ends included, including a package of precut Moda Halloween squares that I just could think of anything to do with... and now... hmm... possibilities are brewing and maybe that package won't go out of the house at the first opportunity after all.

A virtual pat on the back to all of us, whatever we did or didn't do

Today is Tuesday, so quilt day. It motivates me to have progress/something to do each week. I have all my fan arcs with the rickrack on and pressed, today I will start pining the arcs to the foundation blocks. Hoping to have enough pins to get exactly half done, but maybe not. It will be good to cover some of that bright yellow, gosh its bright this early in the morning.

Once the blocks are done, I'm going to have to deal with directional fabrics in the layout. There are squares of background fabric and the fabric inside the stars is all directional too. I've been leaning towards having a definite top/bottom, or I can radiate them out more from the center which won't be perfect but maybe better... that way at least the quarters would be interchangeable.

Probably start a thread on the main forum about directional fabric designs... the question to acknowledge or ignore... and why did it have to be so directional in the first place? Scatters are good... even a tilt to the letters would have made it easier to work with and still obvious.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:53 AM

Those are some elegant pumpkins, Teen!