2021 Fabric Moratorium

Old 09-02-2021, 10:18 AM

Very nice tops, Connie. I'd like to make another Bricks and Stones in prettier colors like yours though patriotic colors were right for the young Marine.
Old 09-04-2021, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

retired T...great use of your panel and the checkerboard quilt looks great!

Meanwhile I have a scrappy stash quilt on the LA that I need to get finished...got some ripping to do first. Lots of new fabric in the shop and I am so tempted, but have stayed strong!
Old 09-04-2021, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the compliments.

Bricks and Stepping Stones was the last of the kits I had started a year ago so it feels good to have those quilt tops finished. I still have some kits that I started to assemble later but they aren’t at the year date yet. 🙂. I’m hoping to finish those by the end of the year.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:57 AM

Hey all,
I just posted my August Colorblock quilt to the pics section. All from scraps and stash, including the backing- Yay!

Rob
Old 09-07-2021, 08:06 AM

Just had a look at your August Colorblock quilt in the pics section. I love how the quilt has great unity even though it uses up scraps! Very nice!
Old 09-07-2021, 04:20 PM

Rob: Very pretty quilt and quilting! The sashing is an interesting design.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:10 AM

Good going Rob! Hope everyone has been doing well in real life and in fabric temptations. With Bernie in the shop most of the last month I haven't been doing much fabric usage and have been spending my time with my organization stuff.

Posting here today because it does concern fabric usage -- but mostly because I love my free ping pong table It is exactly 108 inches long -- fortunately for me most of my quilts end up shy of 100 and 108/3 yards is my standard backing length. I bought a huge commercial size roll of batting a number of years ago when I had access to the long arm and today I cut off 3 pieces, each long enough (108!) and wide enough to fit Aunt Debby Bleeds Blue, and the last two Bonnie Hunter projects (Frolic and Grassy Creek).

So here we are in action, in my heat/drought killed back yard still in morning shade... (is actually rather nice and bright and will be too hot by mid-afternoon) The door in the background is to my laundry room, fresh backs will be whisked out of the dryer, clamped on the table and the spray baste shall begin in an hour or so!
Attached Thumbnails 100_6193-2-.jpg  
Old 09-12-2021, 07:12 AM

So great to have a workspace like this (especially when it was free) and way to be super-productive! I can't imagine having three quilts at this stage at the same time. Good luck with your completion stages! :-)
Old 09-19-2021, 11:57 AM

I've been doing really good on my organization stuff. Even doing good on my quilting stuff, sort of. Got Bernie back from the shop and was 90% complete quilting the first of three tops and it broke again. Actually as in a piece fell out of my machine and landed on my project! It was part of the just replaced thread sensor thing and so was fixed again for me under warranty of the last repair -- huzzah!

I got the quilting finished and even have the bindings on, well the machine part. I am so slow at the hand work part of things this will be weeks of Tuesday group sessions.

Today I do have to confess to buying. Two of my thrift store finds, lovely pieces both of them and unlike many I get very usable, not sure if they are indeed big enough for a back, about 4 yards each at $6/each. One is a timeless treasure/hi fashion and the other a Hoffman. I turned down a big golf novelty print -- plenty on that bolt for a back. And I even have some golf fabrics in my stash but I have no plans to make a golf themed quilt in the next 5 years so I passed. Yay me, pat on the back.
Old 09-19-2021, 05:21 PM

Iceblossom: Patting you on the back, 🙂

I haven’t bought any fabric in a while but some followed me home from my church quilting group. 🤷‍♀️ Now I just need to feel like sewing again.