2021 Fabric Moratorium

Old 03-19-2021, 06:23 PM

Conchalea: K and you have been doing a great job of using your stash.

I jumped off the train a couple of times recently. 11.4 yards. I wanted some plain navy but my LQS only had a couple bolts of dark navy grunge type. I bought the rest of both bolts and then decided I liked one better than the other for a current project and was able to order more from one of the LQS’s other locations. It’s so hard to find a nice navy but they are great blenders. Thankfully, I pre-washed the first purchase because 3 loads later, 6 Color Catchers, and 2 extra rinses, the Odor Catchers were finally a light gray.
Old 03-20-2021, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
Conchalea: K and you have been doing a great job of using your stash.

I jumped off the train a couple of times recently. 11.4 yards. I wanted some plain navy but my LQS only had a couple bolts of dark navy grunge type. I bought the rest of both bolts and then decided I liked one better than the other for a current project and was able to order more from one of the LQS’s other locations. It’s so hard to find a nice navy but they are great blenders. Thankfully, I pre-washed the first purchase because 3 loads later, 6 Color Catchers, and 2 extra rinses, the Odor Catchers were finally a light gray.
Oh I didn't think grunge would bleed so much..good to know...yes another reason to prewash.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:14 AM

I have been tempted so badly today to purchase some unneeded fabrics. I went to 2 different sites and I could 'smell' the fresh fabrics in my mind. Instead I went into my stash and found one fabric that will work for what I want to do for now. I have bought only WOW that I needed for staple for just about every quilt I make. I purchased 15 yards and that should last the rest of the year, maybe longer.
Old 03-20-2021, 05:35 PM

oksewglad: Yes to pre-washing.

juliasb: Here’s a hand up. We need those fabric staples.

I finished my Color Block Quilt Along top but made it longer. It’s 60” by 80” and will be finished by my church group. Everything was found in my stash.

Attached Thumbnails 8fded766-def3-483e-9302-56edcacfcf3c.jpeg   1089a98a-ef74-4355-ae75-53dac58dee4f.jpeg  

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 03-20-2021 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:03 PM

retired; nice.
Old 03-21-2021, 03:31 AM

That looks great, Connie. Good use of stash.

juliasb- I keep looking at fabrics on-line, too. I am in need of WOW and can always use black fabric for my stash, and also wide backing. I may break down and buy some WOW for the next colorblock quilt unless I find enough of something in stash that will work for the background. I’ve promised myself a trip to my LQS 2 weeks after my 2nd vaccination so I’m going to wait on blacks until the 3rd week of April. But, I also plan to visit their remnant bins since they always have lots of batiks- I think I’m going to have to claim a Covid exemption when I visit my LQS!

Rob

Old 03-21-2021, 03:39 AM

Rob, thank you for the smile this morning. 😆

Connie, nice finish on your March color block quilt...another great use of your stash.
With all of the Spring collections being released it is difficult to avoid purchasing some of these beautiful new fabrics.😏
Old 03-21-2021, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

Well done, Connie. I'm enjoying seeing what you are all doing with DB block inspirations.

My next big mini project is the OhMyGosh quilt which I will pull from my sized bins.
https://www.generations-quilt-patter...osh-quilt.html
I have all the light 2' squares cut out and am working on cutting also from 2" the HST/square needed for the Shoofly part of the block. I am sewing with 1" strips to create the 4P and 9P blocks. I did some quick figuring and discovered that I will be using 9+ yards in the blocks. If I am lucky I can get the borders/biinding from my stash as well which would be another 1.66 yards..more if I make outer border a little wider. Inch by inch my quilt will grow...
Old 03-21-2021, 06:17 AM

Went to my go-to-fabric shops on line today...sigh...looked, pretended to fondle...and clicked off without buying. sigh
Old 03-21-2021, 05:24 PM

Rob: Maybe my recent purchases should be under COVID celebrations also. 🙂. Premature purchases since my second dose isn’t until the 30th. 🤷‍♀️

oksewglad: That’s a lot of small blocks but will be a great use of yardage.

julienm1: 🙂

I have 3 more long seams on a top to sew on a project started a year ago tomorrow. At least, I kept it out of UFO land since I got it this far. This is one that I will finish for myself once I get my machine back from the machine doctor.