2021 Fabric Moratorium

Old 03-22-2021, 03:27 AM

Haven't posted in a while because I haven't finished much of late. (Teaching again online.) Here is my January Color block quilt. All from stash except the backing. Learned some lessons and spent way too much time picking out the spiral quilting because I had tucks on the back. February Color block top is finished but not layered or quilted. Yes, I will try the spiral quilting again but only on smaller quilts. Turning even this piece was a challenge for my shoulders and my machine.
Attached Thumbnails january-color-block-resized.jpg  
Old 03-22-2021, 03:30 AM

Beautiful finish WMUTeach, sorry for your frustration with the spiral design but it looks great from here. Can’t wait to Dee your February quilt.

Connie, I do hope you get your machine back soon....

Last edited by jmoore; 03-22-2021 at 03:33 AM.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:03 AM

WMUTeach: Awesome Color Block quilt. Your spiral quilting looks very nice. Sorry you had to pick out some. I may try that quilting pattern eventually on a smaller quilt also. Since I’m not subbing this year, I have had plenty of time to sew and work on other things around the house. Planning and teaching do use up lots of time.

jmoore: I hope I get my machine back quickly also. It was gone for 3 weeks and when I brought it home and started to sew on it, a high whine pitch and then a knocking sound came from it. I was almost in tears, Thankfully, I have a good back up machine.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

WMUTeach...I can understand why you had to pick. Going in a spiral calls for sewing and turning constantly on the bias as you go round and round. Great to persevere on your lovely piece!
Old 03-22-2021, 09:54 AM

Looks fantastic, WMUTeach!

Rob
Old 03-22-2021, 10:37 AM

When I do spiral, it's FMQ so there's no turning.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:33 AM

I looked at the spiral in January and knew it wasn't for me. Too much handling the quilt sandwich.
I went to the new fabric store - I was a little disappointed. She is now handling mostly blenders - not feature fabrics. I did see an interesting piece. An ombre, but printed like small monochromatic braid. I'm not sure how I'd use it.
I did purchase fabric today, but it is in the washer and will be cut as soon as it's dry. Backing for a graduation quilt I made last week. Also bought batting. I probably could have found some in the extra sewing room, but I like thicker batting than I have here. The baby quilt on the machine now has doubled batting.
Because today was a necessary purchase that will be used immediately, I didn't use my birthday exemption.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:18 PM

I bought several yards of fabric this week...for a special project for my mother. I am designing an asymmetrical quilt with a stack of her Amish cross stitch projects and using colors typical of Amish quilts....needed solids to do this, which I don’t have the colors needed. Also, wanted to use the Amish black (if you’ve never used this...it is a beautifully saturated black)...so, not exactly falling off the wagon but probably bought more then I needed...
Old 03-23-2021, 03:52 AM

Teen, did you get the Amish Black from Keepsake Quilting? I’ve been looking for a good saturated black and haven’t yet found one that I’m happy with the quality of the fabric. Been wondering about the one KQ has.

Rob
Old 03-23-2021, 11:37 AM

Rob, have you looked at Northcutt Colorworks Black? It's the only one I like.