2021 Fabric Moratorium

Old 06-19-2021, 04:10 PM

Default I’m about to fall miserably I’m afraid!!

I have been on a cross country motorcycle trip the past two weeks. I’m on my way home now, and Monday I am staying in a motel near Hamilton Missouri… I’m positive my motorcycle is going to be strapped down with fabric… sigh… but how can you go to quilt city and not buy?? Lol
Old 06-20-2021, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by acheela View Post
I have been on a cross country motorcycle trip the past two weeks. I’m on my way home now, and Monday I am staying in a motel near Hamilton Missouri… I’m positive my motorcycle is going to be strapped down with fabric… sigh… but how can you go to quilt city and not buy?? Lol
You could mail it home...LOL
Old 06-20-2021, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
You could mail it home...LOL
yes, but I made room on purpose for this very thing. Just depends on how much I splurge.
Old 06-24-2021, 04:05 PM

Default Am I doing this right?

Working on my first lone star. What I'm doing basting with my longest stitch length (5.0), checking my points and then going over with regular stitches (2.2). Literally. Right over the same line.

Is there anything I need to worry about? Sewing over the same line twice.
Attached Thumbnails img_20210624_193221367.jpg  
Old 06-25-2021, 03:49 AM

Rff1010, is looking good! I have a project that in the planned pile (its for me even) that will have 9 lone stars in it, but I am lacking motivation...

I did get the airplane quilt for my Tuesday Group hostess quilted, posted that in the Virtual Weekend Thread. Since I'm posting anyway, I'll throw the picture here too. Our usual group quilter lost her husband at the end of last year and had to bow out of this project, she just wasn't up to it. The person getting the quilt is the 2nd quilter in line and we are trying to surprise her. 3rd quilter in line is having shoulder surgery and not allowed to be lugging around quilt top... And then it was my turn in line! I did a basic serpentine grid, which is the go-to answer for Janice and how she quilts about 90% of her tops, so it was a nod to her within my skill set. (Not that we are counting but I was able to take the backing -- true vintage!!, 1952-3 could be dated from a rare printed selvedge, the border, and the sashing fabric all out of stash)

edit if in time, top is at next person for binding to be attached (5th machine quilter in line but beautiful handwork) and the final person, our newest member and while has vast garment skills, her blocks in this were only her second quilt blocks. Her first were for the quilt we made for the No. 1 quilter last year...

I am slowly back to work at Aunt Debby Bleeds Blue, I got my 2nd order of fabric, and have that cut. I have begun to make the star blocks, the centers are cut and I'm doing the yellow points. I have to cut and make the fan blade sections after that, then the fan blocks and then put it together, the background and the pie pieces are ready to go.

It is hot here for us, no AC in my house and sewing room is the hottest room in the house. Good thing I get up early when it is cool.

Sort of got into a happy place there of looking at online fabric and such, can be dangerous. I don't think I've gotten a back for Debbie's yet -- I'll have to go back and double check, but am doing well otherwise resisting buying more.
Attached Thumbnails daplanes.jpg   100_6112.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 06-25-2021 at 03:58 AM.
Old 06-25-2021, 04:57 AM

RF1010- those star sections are looking good. I’ve stitched over basting thread before and not had any problems. I use the same thread for both the basting and the final stitch line- usually Bottom line (60wt) and it works really well for getting things matched up without adding bulk to the seams.

Rob
Old 06-25-2021, 08:26 AM

Thanks so much for the advice everyone. The grey's are all scrap fabric and this is a "practice piece" before making a little something for myself.

For those considering but have never done before: Nancy for "On Point TV' did a whole tutorial series that I am finding helpful.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:40 AM

So wait -- are you putting together all those little diamonds and not sewing in strip sets? Double hats off to you!

I'm going to try and look like snowflakes instead of the more radiating type stars -- but it will be strip sets and I'm hoping for some serendipity but I think I'm going to just have a few more stars than I actually use...
Old 06-25-2021, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
Working on my first lone star. What I'm doing basting with my longest stitch length (5.0), checking my points and then going over with regular stitches (2.2). Literally. Right over the same line.
I am working on my first lone star, too. But mine is only a 6" block. That basting sounds like a good idea!

Iceblossom, that is a darling quilt!
Old 06-25-2021, 04:36 PM

Rff1010 and joe’smom: Have fun making your Lone Star quilts.

Iceblossom: That backing is my age! Lol! Cute quilt!