2021 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-12-2021, 08:36 PM

Conchalea: Wow! Does your new house area usually get snow? We will probably have plowable snow on Thursday/Friday. All I can say is goofy MN weather this year. Keeping my fingers crossed that the super cold weather misses us all winter season.

WMUTeach and Jordan: I’m glad you are joining in on the fun. I basically finish just the tops for my church group but I may try some basic quilting on a few eventually. I’m not ready for the spiral yet. My top is in a holding pattern until I get the UFO top done and off of my design wall. I want to play around with some cornerstone ideas.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:25 PM

Happy New Year everyone! I hope it was a fun and safe one. I’m getting back on the wagon this year again. Last year I fell off the wagon and bought fabric, and bought fabric and bought fabric and several BOM. So I’m sure I need to stay on the wagon for a long while. My goal this year to work from my stash 1st. I have a few projects I’m working on that most of fabric comes from stash. I just need to finish them. I too, signed up for the Debbie Brown QAL. A great beginner, ender project. I can use up some of the 2.5” squares I’ve swapped over the years. The 1st month pattern looks fun.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:52 AM

Retired, from what K says, these 2 days, Jan 1 & Jan10, are unusual in this area. My SIL in Michigan said her 8 yr-old son wants to come here for the snow. They've had none so far! I took a break from sewing to go out & take pictures & make a snowman, my first in 30+ years!
the snow did result in a lot of sewing, & I finished my RWB top. Now to piece a back for it. To me it seems massive, 80" X 100". I'll probably gift it to my oldest daughter & husband. He's a vet of Desert Storm & I think it'll look great on their bed.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:30 AM

Getting ready to start on the Debbie Brown January quilt. I think I’ve got enough scraps to make this one completely from scraps except for the backing fabric, but I’m sure I’ve got something in my stash that will do.

I’m also getting ready to start a new to me BOM that Helen Godden did in 2018. This one will involve some more difficult painting and quilting, so I’m looking forward to learning some more techniques. However, it needs several yards of black fabric and I have managed to use up all that I had in my stash. Going to have to buy some...

Rob
Old 01-13-2021, 05:24 PM

Conchalea: Thanks for the snow info and way to go in making a snowman. I’d love to see a picture.

happylab: Welcome back for another year. I’m glad you are doing the 2.5” square quilts too.

Rob: At least you have a plan for the black fabric.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:22 PM

Looks like everyone is staying focused and we picked up some newbies!!! Yah! I am focusing on precuts and, last week, pulled my Tilda FQ bundle out and started a weekly sew along with it. “Home is...” with Pat Sloan. And, I just finished the binding on this quilt that I used a FQ bundle on that I had for a year... pulled a lot of my gray stash for it and now added the gray stash to the BH mystery that I’m just about done with. I’ve got my eye on a color wheel FQ bundle I have...think I found a pattern but still considering... stay the course, my friends!

Tree Farm, by Laundry Basket Quilts
Old 01-13-2021, 06:51 PM

Teen, I'm finishing Pat Sloan's jelly roll quilt. I chose to make Ripple from a stash jelly roll I had. I've made all 35 blocks & am adding sashes & cornerstones. The JR is bright colors & needed sashing to calm some of the colors. If I can finish it in time, I plan to give it to my daughter, who will have surgery Friday the 22nd. It will be 62" X 86", & all from stash. K supplied fabric for sashing & may also have the backing if I don't have anything that works.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:44 PM

I didn't see this THREAD until today. You will have to count me out-----I bought a tiny bit on Jan. 2. I did better last year due to COVID.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:13 AM

Blue Bell, join us. There are no quilt shopping police. Shopping is not forbidden, we are all just shopping from our stash first and trying to reduce our stash. Come on in!
Old 01-14-2021, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

Yes Blue Bell...stick with us. We share what we have made from our stash and if we needed to buy fabric to finish them. It's about mindful purchasing! G