Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2024 UFO Adventure Challenge >

2024 UFO Adventure Challenge

2024 UFO Adventure Challenge

Old 01-20-2024, 04:06 PM

Yep! The goal is to rid our box of UFO’s, anyway that works. Hey! It’s cold out there. Anyone need fuel for the stove?

This quilting is suppose to be fun. Why are we feeling guilty?
Old 01-20-2024, 06:10 PM

Great pictures and progress reports. ❤️

I made progress on my UFO. I didn’t have enough of my backing fabric so I incorporated some of my MILs blocks into the back along with the extra block from the front. It took A LOT of brain power to design the strip. 🙂. I texted my friend for some help. Bless her heart.
Attached Thumbnails img_4946.jpeg   img_4947.jpeg  

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 01-20-2024 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:50 PM

My sewing room was out of action for most of last year being renovated. I had inherited lots scraps so I got them all sorted, cutting them into strips, etc and I still have a box full to cut into tumbler shapes. My only UFO this year is to use them up! I have 7 patterns in my "gunna do" box though and i started this month on a 3 dimensional pattern with table runner in mind. After 10 rows was thinking Wall Hanging... put it aside. Cut more triangles @ 1.5 inches instead of 3 inches and started again After several rows it was going to be too wide to have the length to see the pattern so that was put aside too ....Another wall hanging. Attempt 3 got it right. Just have the binding to do .
now every month I'll endeavour to use a pattern using stash or new fabric and make something useful out of scrapbox.
Old 01-21-2024, 04:02 AM

Yes, the quilts that drain us of motivation need to go. I did a stash buster quilt last year and it did use lots of scraps but I really dislike it. I mean immensely dislike it. I am not going to to give it any more time. It is "outt'a here" someone else I am sure will find it lovely and will enjoy the end result. I am just not inclined to waste my time, batting and backing on a piece that I would not want my name on. That one is my January UFO of the month. Finished, nope, but out of my pile YES.
Old 01-21-2024, 09:28 AM

This is going to sound *very* strange, but I think Bonnie Hunter Indigo Way was giving me mild anxiety. Don't know why, but I was stressed about it. So I put everything into project bags - and it's going to take a week off.

In the meantime I dug out a PIG (project in bag - have fabric, have pattern but no sewing yet). It's a Snoopy fabric and I'm using Fabric Cafe Ashford Square pattern. Should sew up quickly. Also have another Disappearing 9 patch in progress. Those should occupy for a week or 2- then I'll come back to Bonnie.
Old 01-22-2024, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
This is going to sound *very* strange, but I think Bonnie Hunter Indigo Way was giving me mild anxiety. Don't know why, but I was stressed about it. So I put everything into project bags - and it's going to take a week off.
This happens to me, too, when I do one of those mysteries. There just so much online excitement around them, and I was feeling I had to keep up with the clues. I found I was starting to neglect all of my other projects and Christmas activities. I do like the way those scrappy quilts turn out, though. So now I just download the patterns as they come out and, perhaps, work on them at another time. I did that with the Unity quilt and it looks lovely. Eventually, I will probably delete the patterns as new ones come out, though!
Old 01-22-2024, 12:39 PM

Good afternoon all,
I've been on and off the UFO thread for a few years. Last year I did get one finally finished in November just before turkey day.
I am turning over a new leaf this year and getting back to my sewing and to get the very small sewing room in order by not starting anything new (Unless I have to do a test quilt) until all of my projects are completed or at least well under way. Since some of the UFO's are orphan blocks it's almost like starting a new project. I did get a UFO finished this month, I managed to finally get it done during this months VOQ. And the house is much warmer because of it. Novembers finish was a quilt that I tested for Spool and Bobbin quilting called Southern Belle, I went with a totally different set of colors, not bad but not a great as I thought it would be. I loved how Brenda quilted it, the second picture is the wall or door cover that blocks a room off of the kitchen.
Thanks for looking and I have enjoyed seeing all of the other finishes, now to make sure I schedule time for myself this year!
Attached Thumbnails dsci0574c.jpg   dsci0583c.jpg  
Old 01-22-2024, 12:49 PM

I've got this ready for the hand embroidery and then on to quilting. It will look a lot better when the embroidery is done as that will fill in a lot of the open black areas around the blocks. I'm calling this "done" as far as it being a UFO. My son has already put dibs on it. Not only did this get a couple of UFO's out of the totes, it also used up a lot of batik scraps and chunks of black yardage leftovers.

Think I'll get working on the Nearly Insane blocks. it will be a good time of the year to be working with reds/pinks.
Attached Thumbnails 20240117_110414.jpg  
Old 01-22-2024, 01:51 PM

Cathy - that is awesome!!! I'll gladly take it also!
Old 01-22-2024, 04:41 PM

Wow Cathy, that is fantastic. Congrats on the finish.