Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL >

Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL

Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL

Old 02-10-2015, 04:56 AM
dd

I'm working on block #4 but it's my 5th block. I switched mine around because #5 was easier. My #3 is finished except for the embroidery. After I finish the embroidery I will post a pic of the first 4 blocks I finished. People keep bringing me alterations. Figure I'm getting paid for most of that, I should get that done first. Still haven't figured out why my 6'3" son keeps buying stuff that too short, because he likes it, and thinks I should be able to make it longer for him. Most of the time I can but it's a real pain. Can't say no to him though. Right now I have to replace the back on his vest. I think more pics would help get people motivated.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:22 AM

I just ran out of excuses to stall. I have the background fabric, I have brand new chalk pencils, I have my applique fabrics assembled. No more excuses, actually hope to get started this week but will still be there for the weekend challenge.
Just a side note. Wanted to make a friendship block, so the pressure was on to learn something about my embroidery machine so I could make the signature block. I did it, just like you said Kaelyn, its easy. What in the world took me so long? Only thing is made a lot of pieces with my name on them a real ego trip. What am I going to do with them all? Love experimenting, the outcome is so rewarding. Kaelyn, thank you for your encouragement, it really got me moving.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:26 AM

Glad to hear things are going well Emma, I don't know if I mentioned it but I did take a craftsy class called Big Embroidery on a Small Machine and it helped immensely. I haven't tried all of the projects yet but I did learn several good tricks. I'm going to try to embroider a medieval costume shirt this week using the techniques I learned. It doesn't cover quilting techniques though.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:52 AM
dd

I finished #3, which is my 4th block, yesterday. I just love doing these and wish I just just sit and do these. My hand does start to cramp after a while though.lol Thanks for starting this or I probably never would have done it.
Attached Thumbnails affairs-heart-3.jpg  
Old 02-11-2015, 07:18 AM

DD: That's gorgeous! Of all the blocks in the book that's probably my favorite, love the flowers on the corners. With that inspiration I'm going to get started today.
Like all things, practice makes perfect. I'm just a rank rookie compared to you guys but I know if I dig in my last block will be much better than my first.
Kaelyn: I would love to see what you do with your machine, if you could share. I don't think anyone on this thread would mind if you posted a picture. I'm going to check out the Craftsy class, I know there are basic things I don't know about. You wouldn't believe how much trouble I had figuring out how to put a space between words.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:43 AM
dd

Thanks Emma. Glad I could help get you jumpstarted.lol Seems like we are following some of the same threads.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:22 PM

DD, love your block, wonderful work!

Emma, you are so sweet. I never miss a chance to show off, lol. I will post a couple pics really quick and try not to hijack the thread. Thanks for your interest. Right now I'm working on my Ranger Hood by making elm leaves, cutting them out, and stitching them on a border. The other project I'm working on is stitching some celtic dragons on DH's medieval costume. The embroidery takes a back seat to my quilting and cross stitch though, so progress is slow. [ATTACH=CONFIG]509785[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]509786[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 0204152134sm.jpg   0122151919asm.jpg  
Old 02-11-2015, 02:35 PM

Let's gear up for our First Official Weekend Challenge!

My random number generator generated the number 29, so this weekend, you are challenged to cut out all the pieces for Block 29! Since Monday is Presidents Day, you can count Monday as part of the weekend. Here is a photo of Block 29. This challenge can be participated IN ADDITION TO or INSTEAD OF your regularly scheduled block. [ATTACH=CONFIG]509797[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 0211151732.jpg  
Old 02-11-2015, 03:11 PM

Oh fun!

While I was cutting some others, I got an idea for those with "flowers" on them, so I can skip to this one and try it out!

It's for my machine embroidery set with all the fussy cut pieces. Doing that makes me appreciate the simplicity of using batiks on the other one.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:20 PM

Kaelyn: That Celtic design is amazing. I've always been drawn to all things Celtic and your Dragon is a classic. I actually have a Dover hand embroidery design book that has that exact one in it. Another project I wanted to do and never got to. What is a Ranger Hood? Love the leaves but kind of at sea about what it is, I'm kind of picturing the medieval cowl like hoods they wore. Am I even close? Thanks for sharing, of course my next greedy request is that you share pictures of the completed costume, maybe even modeled.

Block 29 is super, but since I just got started on #1, I think I will just observe from the sidelines. Yes I did start today and really am enjoying the process. I've totally taken leave of any remaining sense I had and will be doing a navy background by hand and a black background by machine using a satin stitch. Proof that I'm insane, if any was needed.