Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL >

Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL

Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL

Old 12-02-2014, 05:10 AM
dd

I'm getting my book as a Christmas gift, can't do too much until I get the book.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:35 AM

my book is in the mail, but I picked up another on different applique methods and have been going over that one. I've never done anything but machine satin stitch, and I may try something different for this.

I went to my favorite second hand quilt shop (she buys leftover fabric by the lb and sells it $4 a yard) but didn't find anything for backing, but did find lots of fun fabric.

I pretty sure I want to go with a deep gold background. I love the look of the gold stitching on the black background. Don't want to use black for the background so though maybe gold background with black stitching. But who knows, I may find the perfect fabric in an unexpected color. Gives me a reason to wander around the quilt shop waiting for something to speak to me (OK, so they ALL say "Take me home!").
Old 12-02-2014, 08:39 AM

Good reminder! i think I am going to stick to the original dimensions though that looks like quite a few small pieces!!
Old 12-02-2014, 01:58 PM

dd, oh the agony! I also know what I'm getting for Christmas. Its sitting in my living room and I'm not allowed to play with it until Christmas, and then I will barely have any time because we have to go over to the inlaws for brunch and we'll probably be there all day.

Macy, I love the idea of a deep gold background. Mine is currently a dark cream but I ordered some other fabric, just waiting to see what it looks like when it gets here to decide which one to use. The other will be backing fabric for a quilt UFO.

Kindle, yes there are a lot of small pieces! But the detail is what gives the quilt its charm.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:52 PM

How are people planning on doing the applique? I was looking at the pattern and the embroidery machine method and was wondering if anyone else was planning on doing it this way?
Old 12-03-2014, 02:58 AM

anoka I suspect I will be trying freezer paper method, if that doesn't work will be r everting to traditional needle turn. Just laundered the background and decided to do the fat quarters too - book advised to be consistent so I took that to mean wash all or wash none. I think I need a fat quarter intervention - here are my choices for this project....I probably will not use the trivial pursuit cheese fat quarter ![ATTACH=CONFIG]501027[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails aoth.jpg  
Old 12-03-2014, 06:22 AM

I ordered 5 yards of Fairy Frost in gold. Was browsing yesterday and found an online site that had it on sale for less than $8 a yard. And of course they had other stuff on sale too (two day "cyber Monday" sale). I just got my Christmas bonus at work- so I can tell DH that is what I spent it on LOL!! Then I got an email that my favorite thread store had their thread 40% off until midnight, so there went the rest of the bonus LOL!!
Old 12-03-2014, 07:07 AM

My book got here yesterday! Now I am very much intimidated! Trial blocks are in order so that I can convince myself that this is not above my skill level. And after looking at all those teensy pieces, I'm going to fuse and stitch down by machine. If one had tons of money, the embroidery cd would be cool to have. LOL!
Old 12-03-2014, 10:40 AM

What website had fairy frost on sale?

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I ordered 5 yards of Fairy Frost in gold. Was browsing yesterday and found an online site that had it on sale for less than $8 a yard. And of course they had other stuff on sale too (two day "cyber Monday" sale). I just got my Christmas bonus at work- so I can tell DH that is what I spent it on LOL!! Then I got an email that my favorite thread store had their thread 40% off until midnight, so there went the rest of the bonus LOL!!
Old 12-03-2014, 11:40 AM

Beady, I know what you mean however one block at a time . If the small pieces are too small then you might want to consider enlarging them a bit?