Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aloha Ripple BOW quilt along

Aloha Ripple BOW quilt along

I will be participating in a BOW (block of the week) through Happy Cloud Creations. I was very happy with the one she led this past fall (Snowy Day Sampler), plus I fell in love with this pattern. It is rather modern looking but can be made more traditional by using different fabrics. It is a nine week process beginning January 16th. You can see it here: https://happycloudcreations.com/2018...e-quilt-along/

Here is the schedule:
    Starting January 2nd: Download Pattern – Select your fabric and post a photo!
    Week 1: January 16th: Cut fabric
    Week 2: January 23rd: Make the Flying Geese
    Week 3: January 30th: Make the Half Square Triangles
    Week 4: February 6th: Make the Center Block (1)
    Week 5: February 13th: Make Corner Blocks A (2)
    Week 6: February 20th: Make Corner Blocks B (2)
    Week 7: February 27th: Make the Stacked Flying Geese blocks (4)
    Week 8: March 6th: Assemble your Quilt Top
    Week 9: March 13th: Baste, Quilt and Bind your Quilt!
    You can download the free pattern in her Craftsy Shop. https://www.craftsy.com/profile/happ...reations-10986

I hope some folks on here might want to join in. Andrea, the creator, is always very clear in her instructions so this is suitable for both beginners and more advanced sewers.

Copyright Reminder: Please do not re-post copies of any clues for the mystery quilt and/or photos of work that is not your own. Thanks!
    Last edited by PatriceJ; 01-07-2018 at 01:16 AM.

These are the fabrics I've pulled. The first set follows one of Andrea's alternate colour ways. I'm using a darker grey than intended, but the background is a pale grey and I didn't have anything else in my stash that would have enough contrast.

The second set is a possibility as I like the black/white/red combo (the pic does not show the red well -- it is a true red, not orangy as shown here). I will for sure do the first one, not certain if I'll do the second at the same time or wait and make it later.

Name:  Aloha fabrics.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  189.6 KB
    Name:  Aloha b-w fabrics.jpg
Views: 1284
Size:  215.8 KB
    Last edited by Belfrybat; 01-07-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks for the information. I downloaded her pattern from Craftsy.

I really shouldn’t start a new project when so many are already in the works but I will probably just do a baby size so it doesn’t take as long.

Very pretty fabric combinations!

Connie
    Last edited by retiredteacher09; 01-07-2018 at 03:43 PM.

Really interesting pattern. Thanks for the information and the link.

This one looks like it would be really fun to quilt.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

This looks like a fun project to make. I copied the pattern and will see what fabric I have in my stash to go with this project. Thank-you for hosting this thread belfrybat.

Looks like a fun project. If I get the sewing room cleaned up after Christmas mayhem, I will work along with everyone. Thanks.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Thanks for posting this, I know I shouldn't, but I'm gonna join in!

Blog Entries
    too early to break my pledge of no new bom until my ufo pile is down.....I'll be lurking though. Good luck ladies....

Glad to see others are joining in. I'll post the first step this coming Tuesday morning, so if you haven't done so, download the pattern and pull your fabrics. The first step will be large flying geese made the no-waste way.

I was wrong about the first step -- not flying geese but cutting the fabric.

https://happycloudcreations.com/2018...ng-our-fabric/

I'm dithering whether to use her method of HSTs or the 8 at a time. I'd have some left over with the latter method but I find it so much easier.

I think I will wait and cut my pieces as we do the steps because I want to use my die cutter. I am planning on doing scrappy for each color-scrappy red, etc. I think I will do white or light blue for the background.

Connie

I like your way of thinking, RT. I'm halfway through cutting the blue/green/grey fabric and figured out I can use the magic 8 HST method for about half of them. I might have a few left over, but I throw all my half finished blocks/ components into a orphan block tub and make scrappy charity quilts from them, so nothing is ever really wasted.

I like the idea of doing this scrappy! I've been going back and forth about doing it as I really like the pattern. I don't like cutting anything until I know how it's going to be used to make a block, as there are some methods I don't like using.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Belfry- I like both color ways you picked, but especially the black and red!

I'll be lurking, I thought about joining in, but I'm still plugging away ever so slowly at the BH mystery... and then there's that huge pile of UFOs under the table, and the WIPs that are covering every horizontal surface!

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Rob -- I'm beginning to wonder about my sanity in choosing to do two quilts at the same time but I really like both colour ways. I've finished cutting the blue/green/grey and will start on the r/w/b tonight.

Name:  Aloha Ripple fabric cut.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  167.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    I like the idea of doing this scrappy! I've been going back and forth about doing it as I really like the pattern. I don't like cutting anything until I know how it's going to be used to make a block, as there are some methods I don't like using.
    I think controlled scrappy will look fabulous. The nice thing about this quilt along is we already have the pattern. Since I'm using less fabrics, I can use the magic 8 for the HSTs on all but one fabric.

I like the fact these blocks are large. I'm about wore out with the tiny blocks of ORL. Which I know is giving you a good laugh, Cathy, since you did a half size!

I'm still undecided if I will QAL on this project. I'm still looking for fabric to play well together in my stash. Maybe I'll make a small version. I'll look through my stash next week. I'm still working on BHMQ and UFO's, plus last years started projects. In the mean time I will be lurking.

Have not decided for sure if I'm going to do this, but if I do, it will be scrappy. I also won't use either of the FG methods shown, I much prefer using my easy angle and companion angle rulers for a now waste, no worry about lining up correctly. I really tried to get the "many at one time" method to work when I was doing the 365 block challenge, but it never worked as well as I prefered unless I oversized things and trimmed down. So I finally gave up and went back to cutting three triangles and sewing them together.

finally got my pattern downloaded and printed.

I've been cutting pieces. I have all the colors and am working on the background color. I'm using neutrals for that. My goal is to not use the same fabric twice in the quilt. Wasn't too hard with the colors, but I need 84 different neutrals. I think I'll be able to, as I bought a few fat quarter bundles of neutrals for my crazy quilt, along with what I've got in my stash.

Urggg! Thought I had everything cut with no duplicates - and then realized I had not adjusted my counts to allow for the pattern having the HST done as two per block. So I needed another 36 assorted colors and 36 neutrals. Had to dig pretty deep and even cut into some layer cakes, but I've got them all now.

It does seem strange for me to be sewing a FG that ends up 5.5 x 10.5. I'm just not use to dealing pieces that large . It does make things go fast though. I think this ends up using around 140 - 150 HST, which seems like not much after dealing with all the pieces for ORL.

Hopefully I'm not just talking to myself

I worked ahead a bit - got the FG and HST and center block done. I'll set it aside for a while until we get to assembling.

I changed the color sequence - mine is going based on the rainbow, with green at the center

Greens- 13 fabrics

Yellows - 12

Oranges - 16

Reds - 32

Purples- 42

Blues - 36

And there are 132 neutrals, for a total of 283 different fabrics.

Here are my cut off triangles, along with the tote of other triangles/squares I've been saving to make a HST quilt. I think maybe I've got enough saved up now.

Noooo, you are not talking to yourself. I'm following along. :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast