Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
ART Quilt Challenges Monthly >

ART Quilt Challenges Monthly

ART Quilt Challenges Monthly

Old 06-30-2012, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm View Post
Actually, I'm going to start a pile of Christmas stockings. My guild has a huge project for children in shelters.
Someone wonderful is giving me fabric!
Be careful with that. My GF and I did that last year the two of us wound up with 130 stockings and some blankets too. You can get crazy happenings once you get going. Ours went to charity actions and also to shelters for kids abandoned by their drug addled parents. We were so exhausted we don't want to even think about another stocking for the next 3-4 years. But got to try a lot of new techniques.

Let's see photos as you go.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Phannie1 View Post
I want to play/quilt. But my july is full. Is there an August theme out yet?

I am up for this. Phannie
No August topic for a while yet. But maybe a few hours will appear for you. Only 15 min here and there and you can create some great ideas and a small project maybe? Hope so for your sanity....
Old 06-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

FYI--here's another link

http://www.meganmsullivan.com/index....=recent%20work

She's also married to my nephew

Old 07-04-2012, 03:17 PM

I would like to join in. I have been playing with watercolor pencils and the Inktense pens that someone was talking about here on the Board. Haven't perfected it yet! I played with this yesterday, maybe I can turn it into a "kool koi". Suggestions welcome. I'm thinking some weeping willow limbs maybe. Did you ever play under a weeping willow beside a creek when you were a kid. My grandma had a huge one down behind the house on the creek bank. It was the best hideout ever, and cool, too. Summer in Oklahoma is always miserably hot, we learn to find those cool spots. And of course we had catfish in the creek instead of koi!

The tulips I did with watercolor crayons and experminted with both water and aloe vera. The aloe vera definitely worked better. After I washed it the flowers done with the water faded. Maybe I forgot to heat set them. I can't remember.
Attached Thumbnails kool-koi-7-4-12.jpeg   water-color-pencil-block-7-2-12.jpeg  
Old 07-04-2012, 04:21 PM

pollyjvan9- Welcome to the AQC. Your fish and tulips are lovely. I've never worked with watercolor crayons or pencils, but I'm going to give them a try after seeing your creations. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:21 PM

Very nice Polly. I love the Inktense pencils and also like using the aloe vera with them. Still learning lots about them though.

Weeping willow trees When we first moved to our farm it had two weeping willows, one in the front yard and one in the back yard. DH wanted to trim it; I had never had one before and asked for it not to be pruned. Well, little did I know how much they grow during growing season. We had branches that were about 20' long hanging, then, dragging on the ground. Now, we trim it as high as we can reach and then some with our pole pruner. Our grandkids that can climb love hangin' out in the tree. I love watching the wind blow through them in summer and ice forming on them or snow fallen on them in winter.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Power Poster

Cool and refreshing koi image pollyj. Will check these pencils out.
And what a fresh virtual image of the weeping willows, Linda
Old 07-04-2012, 11:15 PM

i've never heard of watercolor crayons. where can i get some? love both of your designs! i have a special fondness for koi. our kids grew up in texas, so i know well the hot summers! we're having a taste of it in pa this summer. believe it or not, it brings back good memories!
Old 07-05-2012, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by nancia View Post
i've never heard of watercolor crayons. where can i get some? love both of your designs! i have a special fondness for koi. our kids grew up in texas, so i know well the hot summers! we're having a taste of it in pa this summer. believe it or not, it brings back good memories!
Here's where I ordered mine

http://www.dickblick.com/products/de...=google&wmckw=[inktense%20pencils]&wmcid=adwords&cid=psgex08151135&gclid=CNSx39WsgrE CFQ5bhwodLARDlQ

but I think they are available at Hobby Lobby. If you do a search on this board you will find threads discussing them.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:07 AM

I used the 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby. The Sargent watercolor pencils were only $3.99 for a box of 12. I got the clear aloe vera at Walgreens in the area with sunscreen, etc., only $2.50 for a 6oz tube.