Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast

Thread: ART Quilt Challenges Monthly

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    Gorgeous Wendy! Thank you for posting and with instructions for what has worked for you. It sounds very doable to and for me. Your shade tree reminds me of the tall, old weeping willow trees in our yard. When I look at your quilt the brown beads depict the soil line and the scattered beads like soil that is below the surface. It's an excellent choice of beads for that. If I missed the mark of what it represents, my apologies. Thank you for posting so many photos to give us a real close up look. There is so much to learn by studying your photos. Wow.
    Linda~ you are right on with your interpretation . I'm glad to hear it.
    Wendy

Wendy- Thanks for your generous offer of help with the art of trapunto.....when I get going you're likely to hear from me many times. It's just so pretty.

Blog Entries
    After seeing what others have posted I feel like a preschooler, but here is what I am working on. I have been practicing zen doodles and so I decided to use the leaves on a wallhanging. I have highlighted the zen doodles with gold Lumiere paint. Haven't decided on the border yet, but as I am also practicing New York Beauties, I may do that for a wavy border.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    polyjvan9~Your zendoodle leaves are just FABULOUS! Please tell us more about how you did them.
    Wendy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by azwendyg View Post
    polyjvan9~Your zendoodle leaves are just FABULOUS! Please tell us more about how you did them.

Yes, they are are amazing. I would also like to know more. Wow, it really pops the leaves.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

pollyjvan9- Your leaf wallhanging is so pretty. I'll be watching for more info as well.

Quote Originally Posted by azwendyg View Post
    Good morning all. I've been following this thread and enjoying all the wonderful info here! Hopefully I'll get some pics posted soon of some things I've been experimenting with. I'm new to "art" quilting, but have been an avid seamstress and quilter for almost 40 years; this is a new endeavor for me and I appreciate all the discussion, sharing and tips here. I've been experimenting with fabric dyeing, trying different embellishments, learning to use Shiva Oil Paintstiks, and anything else I can think of lately. Here's a link to my first Paintstik experiment: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...c-t193775.html
    Looking forward to spending more time here!!!
    Welcome and love seeing your gorgeous work. I love both the inspiration and the ideas on how you used the paintsticks. Thanks
    Suzie
    Author; I Don't Know Where I Want to Be -But it Isn't Here!

azwendyg------------I felt like it needed some embellishment so I added a bunch of beading, but am not totally happy with that....

I've been looking at this quilt in minute detail for so long, I don't feel like I have a good sense how it is in respect to overall design/impact anymore...

Suggestions and comments please???

Boy do I understand that dilemma! As an author you get so sick of looking at a project you can't see a misspelled word like odg

I personally agree with you. I think the top could use just a bit of livening. Here are my first thoughts which you may well have experimented with already. On scraps of course-- did you try some smudges of perhaps a metallic paint for the illusion of fluttering leaves here and there? Maybe some very delicate strings of almost invisible beads dancing along the green? Just some ideas......

Love your technique and your workmanship. Almost makes me weep in frustration for the lack of finesse in my work!

Watching to see where you go with this...........
    Suzie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by suziehammond View Post
    ...I personally agree with you. I think the top could use just a bit of livening. Here are my first thoughts which you may well have experimented with already. On scraps of course-- did you try some smudges of perhaps a metallic paint for the illusion of fluttering leaves here and there? Maybe some very delicate strings of almost invisible beads dancing along the green? Just some ideas......

Love your technique and your workmanship. Almost makes me weep in frustration for the lack of finesse in my work!

Watching to see where you go with this...........
    Thanks for the suggestions Suzie. I want do some more experimenting and try out some of your ideas. I just ordered some additional iridescent colors of Paintstiks that should come by the middle of next week. Maybe I can do some random shading on some of the FMQ leaves... I've also thought about adding more crystal seed beads to the tree... We'll see!
    Wendy

Blog Entries
    Love what's being posted, great work!
    Just passing through!

Blog Entries
    ok, if those leaves are pre-school, then i'm in the infant class! i'll be over here sucking my thumb! lol beautiful work, ladies (assuming you are. names on line can be deceptive!)
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    when using a Bleach pen or soft scrub with bleach, etc to "dishcarge" dye your fabric, please be sure to STOP the bleach action...if you do not do this important step, the chlorine continues to destroy the fabric fibers!!!!!
    Get some anit-chlor in the pool section of walmart, lowe's etc...it only takes a tsp to a gallon of water.....NOTHING else will stop it..not even vinegar....
    While antichlor (sold as Bleach Stop by Dharma, Anti-Chlor by Pro Chemical & Dye, and various names at pool supply or pet stores that cater to fish) is the most effective stop bath for chlorine, it is not the only way to stop the discharge process.

Hydrogen peroxide (3%) is also very effective and extremely safe (not to mention already on hand in many homes). I have seen no damage at all to fabrics discharged with full strength bleach more than 45 years ago when peroxide was used as a stop bath.

White vinegar used to be a third, not as effective, option, but the acid does react with the chlorine to produce even more caustic chemicals (though not as bad as ammonia and bleach).

The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    Very nice discharge design! I bought a bleach pen yesterday and I have some peroxide so I'm good to play! Thanks for the inspiration!
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

It's 1 part hydrogen peroxide to 8-10 parts water, nancia. Soak for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, remove the fabrics and discard the stop bath. The neutralizing chemicals get used up. Make a new batch for the next batch of fabrics. Have fun. (the posted design was using a syringe and Soft Scrub w/Bleach)

Are you wondering 'How did we get to mid-July already? I sure am. I have projects on the wall and one of them is even in this month's theme 'Cool and refreshing'

Now the big Q is....is that Q going to get completed on time? The tyranny of deadlines is making me experiment and be creative all at the same time. I might hurt my brain if I am not careful.

Love all the interchange of idea on techniques and ideas going on here. I am getting so much inspiration AND info to try out. Thanks to all for putting their info out there.
    Suzie

ghostrider- thanks for the info and I like the "syringe art"......still looking for a bleach pen..none at the big grocery store where I shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    ghostrider- thanks for the info and I like the "syringe art"......still looking for a bleach pen..none at the big grocery store where I shop.
    Bleach pens are my LEAST favorite way of discharge dyeing. They're too much like those big huge crayons that two year olds use. I find the possibilities somewhat limited with them and go with other options.

I like straight bleach because it leaves no 'halo' (like in the photo I posted), and it's ideal for spraying over a mask of leaves, washers, keys, whatever you want (great for shadow quilts). I also use Soft Scrub and/or Cascade, both with bleach. They're thicker, more clingy, and work well with things like potato mashers, coil wisks, cookie cutters, syringes, bubble wrap, rubber stamps, stencils, squeeze bottles with fine hole metal caps, toothbrushes, food (!), and pretty much anything you can make a mark with.

I also really want to try deColourant and deColourant Plus, but haven't gotten around to ordering any yet. I've been trying to get Dick Blick to stock it since that's where I get most of my toys, but we'll have to wait and see. You'd think they'd be quicker to please a third generation customer wouldn't you? teehee

ghostrider- thanks for that plus a lot of ideas I've never thought about......I can see the possibilities are endless

Blog Entries
    Wow, ghostrider, you are so full of ideas it is making my head spin. However, thank you. Thanks for the steer away from bleach pens (which weren't in the grocery store the other day, anyway). I do have Soft Scrub and I can see where that might be a greaat tool. Off to play...

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    Wow, ghostrider, you are so full of ideas it is making my head spin. However, thank you. Thanks for the steer away from bleach pens (which weren't in the grocery store the other day, anyway). I do have Soft Scrub and I can see where that might be a greaat tool. Off to play...
    Make sure it's SS w/bleach and not the plain stuff...and have a great time playing! Can't wait to see pictures!!
    Last edited by ghostrider; 07-14-2012 at 01:11 PM.

For those that haven't discharged before and think they might like to try it after all this talking about it, this is the process I use for discharged stampings. When I first started doing this technique, I used a bunch of 5" squares of Kona solids and as many stamping/marking thingies as I could find. Someday maybe I'll make a quilt out of them...good, bad, and ugly all together.

What you need:
    • newspapers and a plastic dropcloth
    • tub of clear water
    • tub of stop bath, antichlor or the 1-to-8 peroxide mix mentioned above
    • prewashed fabric, you want the fibers to be as receptive to bleach as possible so, for best results, strip it naked of all finishes before you start discharging
    • stamps or mark makers of your choice
    • bleach compound of your choice

Cover your work surface in plastic and a layer of newspapers. Prewash your fabric and spread it, wet or dry, on the newspapers. Wet fabric will spread out the bleach more, making a blurred, softer shape. Dry fabric has a crisper look. Try some of each to see what you like. Stamp your fabric with your mark maker.

After a few minutes, you'll see the shape of your stamp start to appear. No need to hover and inhale bleach fumes, but keep an eye on things from a respectful distance. It's hard to know when it's "done", but since the fabric is wet, the shapes will not be as distinct as they will be when it's washed and dried. In reality, it can take anywhere from less than a minute to more than five. It depends on the weather, the fabric, the age of the bleach compound you're using, the phase of the moon...you get the idea.

When they're developed as much as you want them, put the fabric into the tub of clear water to rinse out the bulk of the bleach. Don't scrunch it up or fold it as the bleach can migrate to unbleached parts. Kind of pump it up and down to rinse it out. If you are doing several pieces, you can leave this one in the water and add others until they are all ready for the stop bath.

When you're done with the discharging, move the rinsed fabrics to the stop bath. Plunge them up and down to really work the solution through the fibers. Let it all sit for five minutes or so, stirring occasionally. The stop bath solution should be thrown out when you're finished; the chemicals are exhausted.

When you're all done, wash the discharged fabrics in the washer with a mild detergent. Dry as usual and admire your awesome talent!
    Last edited by ghostrider; 07-14-2012 at 02:34 PM.

ghostrider-okay, ignorance is not bliss contrary to what they used to say, and I'm not understanding exactly everything. I planned to start out spraying the bleach over some leaves....that sounds like it would have a great effect. My brain gets foggy when you mention stamping your fabric with a mark maker...does that mean you spray around the potato masher with the bleach....or do you dip the mark makers in the bleach and then place on fabric. Am I making any sense? I guess I've always been more of a visual learner (or maybe just slow).

You're making perfect sense, Linny. Spraying is just a different technique and it DOES have great results, especially good for creating shadows and adding dimension to pieces. Look at some of the work by Colleen Wise for examples. http://www.colleenwise.com/gallery2.htm She recommends using a 50-50 bleach and water solution and spraying from a height of 12"-18".

The stamping/marking technique doesn't involve spraying at all. You use the bleach compound like you'd use a stamp pad, so yes, you'd dip the potato masher in the Soft Scrub and stamp the fabric with it.

Does that help clear things up? Different tools in the same tool box.

ghostrider- thanks for being so patient and helpful with my queries. I was trying to picture dipping my potato masher in bleach solution, wondering how it would adhere to it......with Soft Scrub I can understand. You cleared things up very nicely and I understand there are so many ways and different products to produce the desired effect. Again, thanks so much. I checked out the Colleen Wise site.....she does beautiful work.

Blog Entries
    ghostrider~thanks so much for taking the time to discuss discharging in such detail! I've tried a couple of small pieces on my own, but didn't even realize it needed to be neutralized when done until I recently read that detail in a book borrowed from a friend--oops! It's a good thing I hadn't used first experimental those pieces in any projects yet.

I'm wondering if anyone here has found a particular black fabric that will discharge to a blueish color rather than the orange color that kona black does? Has anyone done enough experimentation to have compiled a short list of particular fabrics' original colors and what they discharge to? I'll be starting a list myself and will be happy to share whatever I learn.

You're giving me all sorts of ideas to try out now!
    Wendy

Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast