Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Barbara Brackman's "Stars in Her Crown" >

Barbara Brackman's "Stars in Her Crown"

Barbara Brackman's "Stars in Her Crown"

Old 02-06-2019, 04:57 PM

FYI - I noticed that that there will be a documentary series called "Queen Victoria and her Nine Children" on TV next week. It will be broadcast here on public television on Monday Feb 11 but I did find it online - here's the link (hope it's ok to give it but if the link gets deleted just look online if interested.
https://www.tvo.org/video/documentar...-nine-children
Old 02-09-2019, 06:37 AM

Block #6 - Louise is on BB's Blog!
http://barbarabrackman.blogspot.com/...rquise-of.html

This has been a fun project and depending on color values each block can give a different effect even though the design is based on similar triangles. I'm trying hard to play with the color values for my blocks. LOL not sure if it is working but they are coming together. Will try to post more pics tomorrow.

**Anyone else have blocks to share? Would love to see them or the fabrics that you are using or thinking of using!!

Please join in or post your ideas!! Even if you are not making blocks all your comments are welcome

As you can see I'm not using the traditional Victorian floral fabrics though I think many are very pretty. I'm using quite a few of the Northcott Artisan Spirit Shimmers and some of the Artisan Spirit "Flights of Fancy". Many in this line has gold highlighting. I thought the gold highlights would add some sparkle to the blocks and help to make it appropriate for celebrating Queen Victoria's 200th anniversary of her birth.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:49 PM

Here is my Block 4 Affie - sorry taken at an angle

[ATTACH=CONFIG]608251[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails block-4-cropped-resized.jpg  
Old 02-10-2019, 05:01 PM

Gee I was wondering if I had a wool pressing mat if it would to help flatten/ dry press the bulky seams when paper piecing? Anyone use it for this purpose and have good results?
Old 02-10-2019, 06:43 PM

Great pictures, costumegirl! It looks like you will have a soft, feminine colored quilt. Pretty!

Can you explain the steps you are taking to create the file that you use for printing your pattern to use for paper piecing? I've read BB's instructions, and gone to the other page she suggested, but it's not working for me.

Last edited by givio; 02-10-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:41 PM

Givio - I totally relate! I had a very difficultt time following the instructions given on the blog and was stressing out over it - LOL I am not as mathamatically oriented as I used to be and though I dabble I'm not computer savvy. It takes me a long time to redraft any changes that I want or envision.

I had spent many hours trying to change the size to the 8" and 12" block - that was my first dilema! Second dilema was because I wasn't too fond of my fabric that made up the secondary block star so I wanted to slightly change the pattern by adding a diamond shape in the centre of this star that would form when all the blocks are put together - that will be done just before I join the blocks.

The pattern was resized in Microsoft Word - LOL I struggled!! then I broke down and asked my computer savvy friend (known her for a very long time and consider her my "bonus daughter"). She did it in Microsoft W in less than 5 minutes!! What an angel!!

If you can wait till tomorrow I will ask her to give me the step by steps & post instructions for getting the block the right size - she showed me how but I know she will make the explanation easier than I. If you don't have MW she might also have other options that can be used.

Last edited by costumegirl; 02-10-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:45 AM

Givio - sent you a pm - let me know how you do

Are you getting the ice storm? We live across the river from Detroit MI close to Lake St Clair and got whacked this morning hard! All of our windows facing east are covered in a layer of ice. If you got this nasty stuff do stay safe!

Last edited by costumegirl; 02-12-2019 at 05:48 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the help. I'll probably try again on the weekend, when I have more time to fiddle around with it. I have a limited version of MW that came free on my lap top that I might be able to use as you suggest.

Yes, for sure! Plenty of snow and ice here on the other side of the river. My employer tends to give us a free lunch as a reward for braving cold and bad driving weather. We've had free pizza or tacos a few times lately! The eastern coast seems to be getting hit hard as well these last days.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:50 AM

Got Block 5 Helena done!! It looks crooked in the pic but it measures ok - must be the angle I took the photo - guess I have to work on that and try to get the next one taken straight and more in line

[ATTACH=CONFIG]608553[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails block-5-cropped-resized.jpg  

Last edited by costumegirl; 02-16-2019 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:07 AM

Block 7 is on BB's Blog this morning!! Reminds me of Block 5 except the center is on point.

http://barbarabrackman.blogspot.com/...r-duke-of.html

Is anyone else working on these? Please post your blocks or your fabrics

If you have lots of projects on the go and are planning to possibly do them later be sure to save the patterns for yourself. I think they will be taken off the blog once the sew along is finished in 3 weeks. You can also purchase BB's pattern from her Etsy shop. There are links in the right hand margin of her blog.

Do check out the many pics of blocks done by others on Facebook and Instagram - so many lovely fabric combinations!!