Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek >

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Old 11-27-2020, 07:45 AM

I am joining in this year. No surgeries are planned and I doing alright and still searching for all the fabric that need. This past summer I organized my fabric by color families and my scraps and strings. So, when Bonnie post's the first clue I will be ready. The only problem I have today is my cat wants to set on my lap and sleep.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:46 AM

Here is the link for the first clue: https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2020...ry-part-1.html

This is a big HST unit for Bonnie! And there are sets! I hope we don't lose any participants because of the sets. (Being kind of an orderly type, I enjoy the sets myself.) I don't have that number of gold fabrics, so will have repeats. (Who else thinks this could be a huge clue about the number of blocks we'll have, and the setting?)

Harper61, welcome to the QuiltingBoard and to the mystery! You certainly couldn't go wrong making a sample clue out of muslin first. Bonnie does recommend checking your unit size before taking off and sewing the whole gazillion at once.

I sewed along with Edyta Sitar's covid shutdown mystery last spring (my first experience of Edyta -- so charming!). She does things the old-fashioned way, and I tried her method of HSTs, simply cutting the squares, halving them on the diagonal and sewing the two triangles together. I love the fact that they are far quicker/easier for me to cut that way than with the Easy Angle, and there are no extra actions, like drawing lines or tearing papers away.

Last edited by joe'smom; 11-27-2020 at 07:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-27-2020, 07:52 AM

Ok, even being behind, I can get back in track. I've got my grays collected and washed so halfway there for this step already.

Let's take a moment to understand and respect the concept of the mystery and why Bonnie does things the way she does. It may seem rather silly to not share some of the basic stuff, but that is what is asked of us. This year we deal with many things asked of us!

And away we go!
Old 11-27-2020, 07:55 AM

Bonnie has foiled my plan of starting with my scraps. My scraps are nearly all smaller than needed for the first clue. And it's huge compared to her usual MO. I agree, joe's mom, big hints in this one.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:39 AM

Ha...Bonnie may fool us yet with the set thing....I bet most of us had an idea of how the "sets" would go together...but who says the "sets" even have to stay together in the block Tee Hee...we will have to wait and find out. I know Bonnie loves to keep us guessing and keep us guessing until the very end.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
Bonnie has foiled my plan of starting with my scraps. My scraps are nearly all smaller than needed for the first clue.
Did you see that Bonnie gives multiple methods for making the HSTs? Her eight-at-time method needs squares that may be larger than your scraps, but she also describes a method using strips - those strips are less than half the width of the big squares, and are pretty likely to work with your scraps.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:36 AM

I am relieved to have a starting task I think I can handle. I am hoping to start today but I may need to wait until tomorrow, I am trying to get a sewing space set up and I know if I don't finish that first, I will be walking around a couple of boxes for an unreasonably long time. My brain seems to work in very segmented ways.

In my Thanksgiving miracle news, my bolt of fabric was just delivered by the mail carrier! This box clearly has some stories to tell but the bolt was shrink wrapped so the fabric is fine. I was hopeful until Monday and then just accepted the reality and reported it to the post office. I am glad I didn't let the loss derail me but I am also really happy to get my order. I have some plans for this fabric.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:02 AM

Wonky star: Wahoo to your fabric being found!
Old 11-27-2020, 11:12 AM

This is my first quilt from Bonnie, but I have read the digital version of several of her books from the library. I too was surprised at how BIG the block was, relatively speaking. But it is giving me lots of confidence that I can get this done, especially because I am only making the “half” size version.

And good news: My additional “golds” and “oranges” are coming today instead of tomorrow. Perfect timing.

Wonky Star: such good news that your fabric arrived.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:20 PM

Maybe we are starting with the border? I like the big blocks.