Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek >

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Old 12-26-2020, 11:42 AM

Does anyone remember when the reveal was last year?

The earlier mysteries revealed on New Year's Day, but I don't get the sense that anyone is expecting a reveal this coming Friday.

Old 12-26-2020, 12:32 PM

I’m just starting this clue now. Not strip piecing either... still snowing...perfect!
Old 12-26-2020, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Got the FG all sewn and trimmed, and the small squares for the 9 patch cut. I am not doing any strip piecing so have lots of squares to sew together. But that part will be fun sewing. Had to stop and make lunch, and then DH and I are planning on a trip to the range since it's warmed up into the 40's again today.
Cathy: you were smart to do the FG before the 9 patch. I wish I had thought of that so I could have used the 9 patch pieces as leaders/enders while sewing the FG.
Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Does anyone remember when the reveal was last year?

The earlier mysteries revealed on New Year's Day, but I don't get the sense that anyone is expecting a reveal this coming Friday.

Last year it was on January 17, which I think was Clue 9. January 15, 2021 is scheduled to be Clue 8 this year, but I think there was week with the last quilt that had an extra clue.
Old 12-26-2020, 05:34 PM

The sewing part for this clue is done.. Going to start cutting the last part. I think these 9P are just so darn cute...

I’m hoping it’s just a couple more clues...I’m anxious to see this...
Attached Thumbnails 66216ba2-32d5-46f4-aa91-38c0046374cf.jpeg  
Old 12-26-2020, 06:46 PM

I’m enjoying reading and seeing everyone’s progress. I have step 1 completed. Step 2 is 1/3 done but all cut out and marked ready to sew. I thought about step 3, 4, & 5. Since this is a easy week I hope to catch up on steps 2 & 5, and most of step 3 &4. Making Christmas gifts and working on a quillow took my time over the last 2 weeks. Now back to serious sewing on this project. I might get slowed down since I plan to work on the Merry Mayhem NYD mystery.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:20 PM

I finished clue 3 today, and cut and pieced all of clue 4. Just have to press the units and attach to clue 3, but if I try to treadle any more today my legs might fall off

I have lots of tiny scraps of neutrals to help give the 9p a little variety, and I think I can get quite a few FG out of my gray scraps as well....can't wait to start step 5 tomorrow. Out of curiosity for everyone that is already done, does this use up all the orange? I don't have much left, not that we need all that much for clue 5.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by origamigoldfish View Post
I finished clue 3 today, and cut and pieced all of clue 4. Just have to press the units and attach to clue 3, but if I try to treadle any more today my legs might fall off

I have lots of tiny scraps of neutrals to help give the 9p a little variety, and I think I can get quite a few FG out of my gray scraps as well....can't wait to start step 5 tomorrow. Out of curiosity for everyone that is already done, does this use up all the orange? I don't have much left, not that we need all that much for clue 5.
No....you are only using a few strips since the orange is the very center of 9P. Not sure about future clues, tho. I worried about running out of red but scrounged around and found more. Hopefully, you’ll have enough to finish the mystery.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by happylab View Post
I’m enjoying reading and seeing everyone’s progress. I have step 1 completed. Step 2 is 1/3 done but all cut out and marked ready to sew. I thought about step 3, 4, & 5. Since this is a easy week I hope to catch up on steps 2 & 5, and most of step 3 &4. Making Christmas gifts and working on a quillow took my time over the last 2 weeks. Now back to serious sewing on this project. I might get slowed down since I plan to work on the Merry Mayhem NYD mystery.
Yah!! I’m doing both, too, which is totally not like me. I think I chose well with these two mysteries...at least, so far. Lol.. Glad you are joining us!
Old 12-26-2020, 08:10 PM

I finished clue 5. I just couldn't go scrappy with the greens and backgrounds.
Attached Thumbnails 100_1213.jpg   100_1215.jpg  
Old 12-27-2020, 06:59 AM

I hate when that happens!

I have all my squares for the nine patch already cut, and today I was digging around trying to find a panel I was sure I bought several years ago. And in digging around I found a small tote of neutral scraps. It's from the quilt I've got on the LA right now. That would have been perfect for cutting those small squares! Though I used mostly scraps cutting what I did . . .

I never did find the panel I was looking for, but I found two others that are similar so maybe I never actually bought the specific one I'm thinking of. I do have some coordinating fabric that would go with it, but I bet I picked that up somewhere else thinking I had the panel and could use it. I did find way too many other panels - probably over 20 of them so I think I'd better not buy any more panels for a while.