Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way >

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Bonnie Hunter 2023-24 Mystery -- Indigo Way

Old 12-08-2023, 05:58 AM

Clue 3 is released! Here's the PDF (printable) link:
https://quiltville.com/pdf/IndigoWay_Three_Full.pdf

Most of the numbers are on page 2 -- we are again working in the same sized units as we have been. Himmm... for me that is a good sign!

The contractor is doing a lovely job with painting the new closet walls and trim but is still not done. Am hoping to be able to work downstairs tomorrow... I'm glad I'm not the only one not finished yet I hope I can finish up Clue 2 and at least cut fabric for Clue 3. All I need is one good day of motivation and space.

It's not just a Michigan thing -- go blue!
Old 12-08-2023, 06:08 AM

I love paper piecing. So far this one is going great. I really thought, here come the flying geese. None so far. You just never know what is next. Happy Sewing y'all!
Old 12-08-2023, 08:26 AM

Maybe I'll check out the paper piecing templates for this one. I was happy to see we're using more navies and the light blue.
Old 12-08-2023, 09:25 AM

Can someone help? My paper-piecing templates are printing small. I downloaded the PDF from the blog site, and have specified 'Custom Scale 100%' in the printer specifications. Have not had a problem previously printing templates at 100%.
Old 12-08-2023, 10:08 AM

Never mind! We're supposed to print at 'Actual Size,' and they are now coming out right.
Old 12-08-2023, 11:15 AM

I have finally selected all of my fabric. I am using mostly hand dyed fabric with the red being commercial. going to start on clue one today. I would like to make my units larger than called for so that I can trim them down. How much extra do you allow to do this. I was thinking a 1/4" meaning if the unit size was 4", I would cut it at 4-1/4" and trim it back to 4"
Old 12-08-2023, 11:48 AM

Julie1 -- There aren't any great rules for cutting large and trimming down -- it depends on the shape and your personal style. I try to plan my trimming to be a reasonable amount to be worth my time and not waste too much fabric. If it is just a couple of threads here and there, I don't bother to trim but I still double check my measurements.

For clue 1 making HST, I think you are good at adding 1/4". You will have a reasonable amount to trim down but not a lot. With that amount of extra I typically have to trim all four sides. For when I'm feeling reasonably accurate I just round up diagonals to 1" instead of the mathematical proper size + 7/8ths for triangles. Remember that you have 2 pieces of fabric, so that is 2*(1/8) = 1/4. Usually with that I pick the best corner as the constant and only trim 2 sides (in an L shape) -- hope that makes sense!

For Clue 2, I kept my red cuts as described and added (quite a bit) to the skinny triangles. That means the red should not have needed trimming. I first used a slightly big ruler and trimmed off the dog ears at the bottom of the red, and then the extra on top. Then I switched to the exact size ruler for the sides, there was a dot I could use as the center/point. Probably could have used the larger ruler if I used my masking tape to make clear my cutting line. The small ruler I have set up with a clear bandage cut in half that helps when I go over diagonals. I've attached a picture (from a different project) of a small ruler with a tape line for consistency and the bandages for smoothness.

For Clue 3, I will most likely cut the small square correct size, with again larger triangles, and trim that half down. I'll see how my accuracy was and decide whether I trust myself to cut the large dark triangles correctly or a bit large. I do like my results with the cut large and trim down but it is tedious. I spent my first 20 or so years quilting being very accurate, the last 20 doing the cut large techniques. Takes about the same amount of time either way for me -- but I am never on the short side of a seam!
Attached Thumbnails 100_5582.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 12-08-2023 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-08-2023, 11:52 AM

Default Fabric Picture

Trying to post picture of my fabric. Hand dyed fabric in indigo, turquoise, red and ivory
Old 12-08-2023, 11:54 AM

Thank-you Ice Blossom. This will help me get started with a bang. Now if I only could attach pictures.
Old 12-08-2023, 12:39 PM

Julie1, are you enlarging the browse photos / manage attachments box all the way to the right to reveal the 'Upload' box?