Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence >

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Old 01-18-2017, 09:34 PM

I love your top, Carol. I love those pink stars, it's gorgeous!
Old 01-19-2017, 04:54 AM

Thank you ladies for your kind comments! I'm still auditioning the final border, but also considering just binding it in a neutral or one of the colors mentioned. At this point I plan to back it with muslin and use the extra neutral 4 patches for a border or perhaps even place a purple or pink star randomly within that border. I need to let it rest for awhile while I think about that. Givio, you are right about the flooring. We live in the family homestead (almost 100 yrs old) and that is 1 1/2 inch solid maple flooring.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:58 AM

Beautiful - you're units are very defined with your colors.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:28 AM

All of the quilt tops are beautiful! You must all be so satisfied and proud of your accomplishment!! Congratulations to all of you!! I haven't started yet but I am getting my fabrics ready for cutting and I am hoping that I can get busy and make this my February project.

I have a few questions about this project - I'm sure that most of the info has been mentioned here somewhere in the discussion so sorry for any repetition of questions.

Does anyone know when Bonnie is removing the instructions? Is it Feb 1st?

Any advice summarries on what to do or what not to do when starting, cutting and sewing for this project?

I really apppreciate this board and all of the terrific knowledge that you all are sharing - sooooo helpful!!
Thanks!!
Deb
Old 01-19-2017, 06:30 AM

Oh I just checked Bonnie's site and yes she is removing the instructons on Feb 1st

Any advice to someone just starting?
Old 01-19-2017, 06:59 AM

Hi Deb,
I hope that others will weigh in on this as this is just my second mystery quilt from Bonnie, but my only advice is:
Decide now if you will make the original design and size or change it a bit like some of us did - to make circles instead of the more diamonded shape that Bonnie has. Several of us did not include the yellow QST's from clue # 7 and used purple tri-recs instead. I have all of my yellow blocks left over as well as many others because I made enough for the full size before deciding to make it just 12 blocks.
I am more comfortable with a "controlled" look so if I did another one, my neutrals would be just creams or white tones. It is a wonderful learning experience and I'm sure you will come up with something special in the end. It is so nice to see how others have changed up the colors and design and you are right about this group - they are wonderful mentors! Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:01 AM

I'd suggest instead of doing the clues in order separately, cut what you need from each fabric all at the same time. That would eliminate unnecessary unfolding and folding (if you are using yardage or fat quarters). When the fabric is already out on the mat, it's handy to finish with it rather than needing to put it out on the mat at a later time.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:19 AM

Carol, love your quilt top, very serene.

Deb, I would suggest trimming as you go. I waited till the end and had a clump 7X6X1" of scraps that were just slivers but it took a long time and hurt my back to stand for too long. I did cut in sets of 20 and then went and did something else where I could sit but I really found myself regretting that I had waited till the end to do this part. Also, I had to remake a few tri rec units. If you're new to them, make sure your points at the top match and you will get a much more accurate unit. And read every line before you start, and again as you're completing each week, just to make sure you don't miss anything. Good Luck to you.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:24 AM

Great advice! Thanks!

Any more suggestions?

Were there any problems cutting/sewing any of the steps or were there any things difficult to handle while peicing?

I must admit that I can get caught up in matching up points and seams and there seems to be a lot of points in this project . I am going to try to not stress about the process and will try to just enjoy the "ride"
Old 01-19-2017, 07:37 AM

I've just started sewing together the little 3-inch blocks. I am struggling to keep the little blocks orientated correctly. I've had to rip way too many times now. My biggest mistake was completing the entire block and looking at it and wondering what was "wrong" until I finally realized that one of those blasted green hourblass blocks was upside down so the purple was not connecting in the center star. That was three rows of ripping and re-sewing.

And I'm only making half the blocks, so I can't just toss the mistakes aside and not use them.

I can only work on this while my mind is clear and refreshed.