Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence >

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017 - En Provence

Old 12-08-2016, 10:59 AM

When I saw the tri recs ruler I was hoping we would be making stars. There's always Celtic Solstice which I love.

On the positive side, I do have the other triangle template. Found one a couple of years ago at the thrift store, new in the package for 99 cents. It isn't Bonnie's but I think it will work.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Thank you! Even when I go through the En Provence button from that page, it doesn't show up... and it should have been there since Monday.

Can't believe we are done with magenta. Seems like we hardly used it. And she is not planning it for borders, either. We are done with it, unless you want to use it for your binding, she said.

Wonder what's coming next.
Well, I guess I might be making a full size then, if I have time I started with only half, mainly because I didn't think I had enough of the magenta. Just curious, (this is my first Bonnie MQ), does Bonnie allow any fabric for borders?
Old 12-08-2016, 11:43 AM

Has anyone had any success printing the pattern for week 2 on paper designed specifically for foundation paper piecing? My printer keeps jamming and my sister's printer won't even try to feed the paper since it's much lighter weight than regular printer paper. Also, does starch cause shrinkage? I cut a few strips before I starched the fabric and it seems like it shrunk.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by ddtrina View Post
Has anyone had any success printing the pattern for week 2 on paper designed specifically for foundation paper piecing? My printer keeps jamming and my sister's printer won't even try to feed the paper since it's much lighter weight than regular printer paper. Also, does starch cause shrinkage? I cut a few strips before I starched the fabric and it seems like it shrunk.
Are you using a laser printer or an inkjet? I know when tried to use the laser printer the heat caused the paper to curl and jam. I've had no problems in my inkjet.

Not sure I can help with the shrinkage problem, I wouldn't think it would shrink it. I'm a pre-washer so starching seems to do the opposite. Are you sure you cut them right?
Old 12-08-2016, 11:58 AM

Sue, my printer is inkjet, my sister's is probably a laser. And I used the June Tailor Shape Cut ruler (with lots of slots for every half inch cutting) so unless her ruler is off, that wasn't the problem. It's not off by much, seems like doing a scant quarter inch is enough to take care of the problem but thought I might try paper piecing instead to see if that would work out better.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
I can't believe we are done w/ the magenta (constant) Bonnie said it would have a stand out showing and we haven't anywhere near used the 1.5 yards.
Her yardage estimates are always generous.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:43 PM

Ddtrina, as to your shrinkage question, I ave indeed had unwashed fabrics shrink after cutting when I used a steam iron on them! I had one new, unwashed fabric that I cut into 10" squares. Before sewing, some got wrinkled so I spray starched and pressed them with a hot iron using heavy steam, and when I went to sew with them found they had shrunk to 9 3/4"!! That experience taught me to always prewash my fabric before cutting. You can test yours by cutting a measured square, spay it, give it a good pressing then remeasure it to see the shrinkage. Frustrating!!
Old 12-08-2016, 12:45 PM

When I PP I just use regular printer paper and shorten my stitch length. You might try on regular paper see if it would save you some frustration.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:55 PM

I'm going to start over with clue #2. For one thing, the large print neutrals I chose are far too distracting -- something I was not able to determine until seeing some sewn units. But also, I'm not liking my magenta. The pattern variations are more obvious and distracting than I anticipated. I do have another magenta, so I'll cut some of that and do a few units, and see if it seems more promising. If I don't like it any better, I'll just re-do the large neutral units with the first magenta.
Attached Thumbnails imgp2443_fotor.jpg  
Old 12-08-2016, 02:22 PM

I like your units Lisa, maybe wait to see how they play with the rest?

I am hoping we do some string piecing - maybe with the purples?