Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Old 10-31-2022, 07:19 AM

I just wanted to say thanks for hosting this year. I’m in just not sure what size!
Old 10-31-2022, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

I love the chosen colors this year. I'll have to wait and see what sizes to cut so I can use the Accuquilt. Who wants to cut all those small pieces by hand? I usually make one of each different block and put it with the pattern I printed out even if I don't make the quilt.
Old 10-31-2022, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
Welcome everyone!
I plan to finish the top on that appliqué quilt in this lull before the first clue on Black Friday. Anyone else have a project they will finish in the next few weeks?
I have 2 quilts I started earlier this year and hope to have finished before Nov. 25th. Work has kept me from sewing this summer/fall. One needs a pieced border and the other needs a few more stars before assembly. Should be doable though if nothing comes up....

Found several fabrics in my stash for this new mystery. Still working on it.
Old 10-31-2022, 08:58 AM

Does anyone have any thoughts on value? It used to be easier to see what Bonnie had in mind when she chose a single chip for each color, rather than these chips with three shades. Her photos of her own fabric also show a wide range of values for each color.
Old 10-31-2022, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts on value? It used to be easier to see what Bonnie had in mind when she chose a single chip for each color, rather than these chips with three shades. Her photos of her own fabric also show a wide range of values for each color.
I would say

Purple is Dark
Orange- Medium
Aqua- Light
Neutrals - very light/background
Attached Thumbnails 37fce29a-ccd7-4f81-930c-fad535a018bc.png  
Old 10-31-2022, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
I would say

Purple is Dark
Orange- Medium
Aqua- Light
Neutrals - very light/background
I agree in general. However, with a scrappy quilt, especially one with string piecing, some variation in value within each color will add visual interest.
Old 10-31-2022, 10:27 AM

I was seriously considering some light and some dark purples and some light and some dark teals. I am also considering using coral yardage for the oranges. For me, these color choices play well in the fabrics I have on hand - and using my stash is always a plus!
Old 10-31-2022, 10:31 AM

Thank you, tallchick, that was very helpful!

I went to the Sherwin Williams website to look at the colors. The aqua seems greener there. I think I'm okay for aqua and orange, but most of my purples lean toward the red end of the spectrum. I do have a repro plum bundle that would work, but then my oranges and aqua would be too bright.

I notice that Bonnie seems quite specific on using whites with black this year. (Unless that's just a picture of her stash shelf, LOL).

Last edited by joe'smom; 10-31-2022 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-31-2022, 11:51 AM

What fun! Thanks for doing this for everyone. Awesome responsibility. I will be on the sidelines cheering y'all on.
Old 10-31-2022, 12:31 PM

Thank you for starting this thread. I've not been on this board for over a year, and haven't touched my sewing machine for even longer. I just lost my quilting mojo during the worst of the Covid outbreak. I ran across the notice on FB about the new BH mystery, so thought it might be a good way to jump back in. Of course, in the 8+ years I've been doing the mysteries I've only completed two! Two others are in my UFO pile and the others became orphan blocks. But, who knows? This year might be different. Although I don't like purple or orange I've decided to trust Bonnie and go with her suggestions. Here are two arrays I'm thinking of. One uses a constant aqua and the other one uses three different aqua fabrics to match the three oranges. The purple has to be a constant as that is the only piece I have. I'd appreciate any feedback.
Attached Thumbnails chilhowie-fabrics-2.jpg   chilhowie-fabrics-1.jpg