Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Old 12-26-2022, 03:52 PM

Janice and toverly, you both have spectacular-looking blocks!

I'm not really clever enough to speculate effectively, which is why I love knowing what the more clever people are thinking. Working on my HSTs now, I'm thinking, wow, that is a lot of orange! I'm really glad I used my brightest oranges first, because this bunch that I'm using for the HSTs would have shown up even less well against my blacks in the block. All in all, I have really enjoyed this method of using a different set of fabrics for each clue.
Old 12-26-2022, 04:12 PM

Hello everyone. I really enjoy seeing all of the progress everyone has shown and wrote. I have been hibernating, trying to stay warm. Today I’m trying to lay catch up on cutting clues 3-5. I realize I had set aside the wrong ruler. Now I need to find my essential ruler to cut out the hourglass and 1/2 squares. I have 90% of step one done. Step two is cut, marked and ready to sew. I need the ruler for the other steps. So back to my cutting.

I just realized I may be short on red fabric for a top I’m working on at the same time. That’s what happens when you buy fabric for a queen and the person changes it to a king size. I will see what I can do. My goal to be all completed by January 7th. Back to sewing.
Old 12-26-2022, 04:39 PM

Really really pretty colorways, Toverly and Janice…

I finished clue 5…

Attached Thumbnails 80e3e10a-e15f-4428-9301-f3f4958dbb51.jpeg  
Old 12-26-2022, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post

I'm not really clever enough to speculate effectively, which is why I love knowing what the more clever people are thinking. Working on my HSTs now, I'm thinking, wow, that is a lot of orange! I'm really glad I used my brightest oranges first, because this bunch that I'm using for the HSTs would have shown up even less well against my blacks in the block. All in all, I have really enjoyed this method of using a different set of fabrics for each clue.
Looking forward to seeing your clue 5 block. Toverly and yours with the black BG is going to be so striking…
Old 12-26-2022, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

Great colors and fabrics, Janice! I love the white.
Old 12-26-2022, 06:16 PM

Very dramatic, toverly! Cool.
Janice, yours looks elegant. I love batiks.

Leslie
Old 12-26-2022, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post

I'm with you, Joe'smom. I always find it so interesting and fascinating to see what other people can come up with. Clever people.

Leslie
Old 12-26-2022, 08:29 PM

I love seeing all the different colors used for this quilt! Great job everyone!

I am plugging along on Clue 5! Sometimes I find such dumb mistakes when I look at the little blocks. I was sewing along making the corner blocks and found I need 8 more hourglass blocks! Don't know what I counted! LOL Thought I had the corner blocks finished!!! Oh well, I still have three days to finish Clue 5!
Old 12-27-2022, 05:41 AM

Janice, that is my neutral as well.

Speculation on what is coming, how the flocks will fit, which way they will turn, on point or not on point, all of this has always been encouraged by Bonnie and is part of the fun.
I'm keeping my time totals out of curiosity, at this point, all caught up except for the sashing, I'm at 30 hours. No time at all really, considering how easy it is to waste hours in a single day with nothing at all to show for it.
Old 12-27-2022, 06:09 AM

Kalama: Fascinating that you have kept your time. You are right. 30 hours so far is no time at all. On the other hand, I think I am slower than most (which was confirmed while holiday baking; 15 minute prep time per the recipe meant an hour for me!). I hope to do at least a little on this weeks clue before Friday, but we will see.