Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Old 12-12-2022, 08:30 AM

I don't know if I've made such a mistake here, but I made one on Bonnie's page, and when I was told, I literally couldn't believe I had done it, because I know the rule. So the first thing I would recommend is that we don't assume people are being deliberately disrespectful. The second thing I would recommend is that the person who notices the mistake immediately mention it (whether here in the thread or in a Private Message) so an edit can be made. I appreciated it immensely when someone on Bonnie's page politely let me know what I had done, so I could change my post. Unfortunately, our window for editing here is pretty short, so nothing can be done about those posts now unless someone wants to notify admin.
Old 12-12-2022, 10:45 AM

I would just suggest everyone review their posts a second time before posting. Try not to post any numbers or measurements. I agree that it is likely inadvertence not malicious disregard for Bonnie’s rules.
Old 12-12-2022, 01:12 PM

Confusion. Did I do something wrong. If so a PM would be nice.
Old 12-12-2022, 04:17 PM

petthefabric, Bonnie has asked that specific info about her mystery pattern (like size and number of units) not be posted (this includes a request not to take photos of units on a cutting mat). She also asks that people not post alternate methods for making the units. Rather, she would prefer, when people ask questions about a clue, that they be directed back to the clue itself on her blog. Basically, it seems she wants to retain control over her intellectual property. Since it's a courtesy that we're allowed to have a thread here, we want to respect Bonnie's preferences as though we were posting on her Facebook page, where such posts are deleted.

I personally didn't notice anyone posting measurements, I guess it's not something I watch for. I think SuzSLO's idea is excellent -- that we review our posts before submitting them.

Meanwhile, it's my turn to come down with something flu-ish.

Last edited by joe'smom; 12-12-2022 at 04:18 PM. Reason: correction
Old 12-13-2022, 04:58 AM

What is meant by review before posting? I’d be ok with sending a pm to someone to look over my post before posting it. I put a post it note right in front of me. I’m so forgetful, ask my family. Can admin remove posts?
Old 12-13-2022, 06:17 AM

petthefabric-as long as your post does not contain specific sizes and/or rulers your post should be okay. SuzSLo just meant to reread your post before posting to make sure it does go against Bonnie's requests to not post sizes, number or units, or pics that show rulers where someone can figure it out by the picture or the post itself.

The comments about following Bonnie's requests were not directed at you specifically. There were several posts by several people, me included. We all just needed this reminder to follow Bonnie's requests and now enjoy the rest of the mystery.
Old 12-13-2022, 09:23 AM

Yes, my suggestion was just to reread once (or twice) before hitting “post quick reply”. It is odd talking about progress without being able to actually include a count for completed units or to talk about complexities based on smaller units sizes without actually posting those unit sizes. So if you write, “I finished 500 of the 1000 units”, edit it to say, “I finished half.” Of instead of posting a picture on your cutting mat or next to a ruler to show how small the units are, take a photo to a coin or seam ripper or other common object.
Old 12-13-2022, 11:48 AM

I got excited today after discovering enough backing fabric in my stash. I traveled to Calif. a couple of weeks ago and my SIL and I went to a fabric store famous for their prices on quality fabrics. All our favorites for $3.98/yd. Most old collections no longer in circulation….aisles and aisles of shelves stacked with fabric from our favorite designers. I spent abt $200 and focused, mostly, on fabrics for backings, some blenders, and stripes cuz I prefer striped bindings. I brought home a huge stack of fabric…
I could not tell you the yardage amt…it was a bunch…One fabric is perfect for this mystery. So, this entire mystery is from stash. That feels good….

joesmom….oh no….Whatever I caught quickly transferred to Hubbie. Hard to manage germs even though I tried so hard to avoid him and sanitized constantly. But, cold weather keeps him inside mostly so he’s been sitting in this germ pot for a week. Lol.. Hope you are better soon..

Last edited by Teen; 12-13-2022 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-13-2022, 12:07 PM

That's awesome Teen! Glad you found such bargains. Don't suppose this fabric shop has on online shop?
Old 12-13-2022, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Stitches23 View Post
That's awesome Teen! Glad you found such bargains. Don't suppose this fabric shop has on online shop?
The shop is called M & L Discount Fabric Store. They do have a website but no on-line purchasing. This is a huge store with aisles filled with folded fabrics from 1/yd fold and up. These are the stacks that are $3,98/yd. All so organized by designer then by collection and colors, styles, batiks, flannel, wool…etc. it’s amazing how organized it is. They have aisles of bolts that are higher priced but still discounted. The polka dot section was flippin’’ amazing. I bought a bunch, too. We spent 4 hrs there and I could have spent longer. Going again on my next trip.