Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Old 12-02-2022, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
My first Bonnie Mystery was Roll, Roll, Cotton Boll! It got me hooked big time! I think it is still my favorite!
Mine too, I needed something to take my mind off a medical thing. It was great good fun and I think I made the next 9 or 10 mysteries. I made a small Roll Roll after watching the horrific tsunami images from Japan that year.
Attached Thumbnails bonnie-roll-roll-cotton-boll-quilt-green-orange.jpg   bonnie-tusumini-roll-roll-cotton-boll-quilt-grey-pink.jpg  
Old 12-02-2022, 06:30 AM

Good morning! What a cute unit.

This will be a challenge for those doing dark background, to make sure there is adequate contrast between black and purple. That's why I decided to use blacks with a substantial amount of white. I think I'll be going scrappy on this one.

edit

KalamaQ, both of your Cotton Boll quilts are amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by joe'smom; 12-02-2022 at 06:33 AM. Reason: addition
Old 12-02-2022, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

Great quilts, Kalama!

Old 12-02-2022, 10:20 AM

Beautiful quilts, Kamala…

Yesterday, I started feeling feverish and slept like crap last night…woke to a head cold so I’ll be sleeping a bit today. Maybe cut strips if I feel like it. Need a clearer head to make sure left/right units done accurately..lol..

Enjoy your journey today with clue 2!!
Old 12-02-2022, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Good morning! What a cute unit.

This will be a challenge for those doing dark background, to make sure there is adequate contrast between black and purple. That's why I decided to use blacks with a substantial amount of white. I think I'll be going scrappy on this one.

edit

KalamaQ, both of your Cotton Boll quilts are amazing! Thanks for sharing.
Black background will be amazing. I thought about doing a chambray background since I have another bolt of it but I’m already taking a chance with swapping purple for yellow and using a print fabric for orange. Playing with different colorways is half the fun in her mysteries..
Old 12-02-2022, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

The new clue... what's your guess? Orange stars? Or orange star points?

I'm afraid this one may look too much like my Ringo Lake quilt, which is primarily orange (not peach) and royal blue. But we shall see. I may wait another few clues before I chose colors.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:43 AM

Just a heads up! Bonnie has already updated Clue 2 to add a photo to show what the finished units will look like. Yes, the orange triangles come to a point 1/4” below the fabric edge so that the points survive when sewn into the quilt top.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:46 AM

I remember your Ringo Lake quilt SBG, loved your colors! Ringo Lake was the only mystery quilt I have made and I pretty much followed her color selection. If I decide to do this quillt, I plan to swap out the orange for chartreuse. I like how purple, aqua and chartreuse play together.

Cheese
Old 12-02-2022, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

Hi Cheese! Yes, I think those colors will be beautiful together... purple, aqua and chartreuse.
Old 12-02-2022, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
Lovely. I love looking at the different colours and interpretations, especially those who are using a mix of scraps with a constant.
All of the white and purple squares came from my 1 1/2" shoe box. It is almost full, so I had a lot to choose from. I stuck with my aqua constant, even though I had that color in the box as well. I started using Bonnie's Scrap User System years ago! It took longer to complete the blocks, as I had more sewing to do!