Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune" >

Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune"

Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune"

Old 11-11-2018, 12:57 PM

Hi, these are the colors that I've chosen for Bonnie's mystery.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]603859[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails received_573368599785835.jpeg  
Old 11-11-2018, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I love your dot fabric, AmyBible. That should be a very zingy and fun quilt.
Thanks Joe's mom - I thought so too but I don't have enough to use those Halloween fabrics. Plus with just one fabric per color I'd rather go with prints than solids. I'm going to stick to Bonnie colors - mostly - this year. Only change is switching orange to yellow and neutral to orange. It will be very, very orange.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]603868[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails option-a2.jpg  
Old 11-11-2018, 02:34 PM

Laras, totally awesome ORL. I am really struck by how big it must be. I know mine was big. I had to think what happened to it. I had a customer who skipped over all of my designs and picked ORL. There is a large tub of leftovers and I suppose I could make another.

Marcia
Old 11-11-2018, 04:07 PM

TopazJewel, that will be like a spring time version. Lovely colors!

AmyBible, so you are going with the orange-neutral switch! I can't wait to see it.

I still haven't made up my mind about what fabric to use. I keep thinking about that FQ bundle. I know it's probably not a good idea to use it because of the size of the prints, and yet I still want to try it.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
TopazJewel, that will be like a spring time version. Lovely colors!

AmyBible, so you are going with the orange-neutral switch! I can't wait to see it.

I still haven't made up my mind about what fabric to use. I keep thinking about that FQ bundle. I know it's probably not a good idea to use it because of the size of the prints, and yet I still want to try it.
TopazJewel - your fabrics are great. I really like pink and green together.

Joe's Mom - yep - don't really have enough "neutral" that I want to use but I have plenty of orange. Kind of risky but if I have to use scraps I don't think I'll have time to do the Mystery. I am planning to give the quilt to my SIL who loves orange.... so.... jokes on her...
Old 11-11-2018, 05:44 PM

I am looking forward to seeing orange as the neutral. I always fall back on light or dark background it will be good to see a bright background.
Originally Posted by AmyBible View Post
TopazJewel - your fabrics are great. I really like pink and green together.

Joe's Mom - yep - don't really have enough "neutral" that I want to use but I have plenty of orange. Kind of risky but if I have to use scraps I don't think I'll have time to do the Mystery. I am planning to give the quilt to my SIL who loves orange.... so.... jokes on her...
Old 11-11-2018, 06:23 PM

I really like all the color combinations.

Tweety- Thank you. It took awhile to figure out the ORL border. I just couldn’t figure out what I wanted but I knew I wanted something that echoed Bonnie’s block.

AmyBible- The orange/neutral swap should be perfect for your sister in law. It should be a really fun quilt!

Topaz- I love your colors together. The pink and orange should really pop against the blue and green.

Battle Axe- The ORL ended up at 100”x108”. It just kept growing and didn’t feel finished until the last border. It the largest top I’ve ever pieced.

-Lara
Old 11-11-2018, 09:03 PM

Got my paint chips yesterday and am excited to begin. I am hoping to finish a UFO or two before the 23rd. We'll see! I'm looking forward to hearing about everyone's progress.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:33 AM

I made a decision -- I will use my FQ bundle supplemented by stash fabrics. The obvious choice would be to assign the colors as Bonnie has done and eliminate my lighter blues, but since my blues have the largest range of value, I think I will use the blues as the orange; I'm also putting green as blue, and gold as green. This puts me closest to Bonnie's values, with my green and tomato being a bit darker than my gold and blue. I imagine it will drastically change the effect to replace an advancing hot color with a receding cool color, but I guess I'm feeling adventurous.

Now that I've made a decision, I am really excited to start. I just have to get two projects off my wall and I can start pressing these fabrics!
Attached Thumbnails img_2623_fotor.jpg   img_2625.jpg   img_2625_fotor_fotor.jpg  
Old 11-12-2018, 11:37 AM

AmyBible I found a quilt called Orange Soda by I'm a Ginger Monkey. I think the orange is really pretty.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-13-2018 at 03:29 AM. Reason: remove copyright pic