Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune"

Just picked up my paint chips. It's very basic primary colors.Bet it will make a great Boy Quilt. I think if you went with a red, green, blue and orange crayon you would have the colors close enough for those who don't want to pick up paint chips. Outgoing orange is a deep peach. Marshmallow is a soft white and Oyster Bar to me looks like a light beige. Of course we could all meet up at Epcot's China to see the colors. Wouldn't that be a blast.

Hopefully will get my paint chips by early next week. I get my chips, but then I wait for ALL the clues to come out before I decide to make the quilt. Started one years ago (hot pink, aqua, white and black...don't remember the name of the quilt), but stopped making it because I didn't like it. I've since just printed the clues for each successive mystery and have them filed away with their color chips. This is just the way I do it and it works for me.

I absolutely LOVE to see everyone's progress and how different everyone's quilts turn out.

Thank you, Mariposa, for starting this thread.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Thank you Mariposa for leading us this year!

As with some of you, I've done quite a number of Bonnie's mysteries, and I have four Bonnie quilts (2 of them mysteries) in baggies. Oh boy! So, I think I'll sit on the sideline for awhile.

We in Alaska are a little challenged by distance to get to Lowe's to find the Sherwin Williams paint chips. I know crayons would work, and in the past there has been embroidery floss used to match those colors. Would anyone have color number for embroidery floss?

This is always a fun thread to follow, because everyone is so upbeat and so very helpful to each other. Such a wonderful place to exchange our progress and ideas.

Ready for the fun to begin!

If you do an image search on the FB Quiltville group someone posted a pic w/ the embroidery floss colors, in the comments on that thread the numbers are listed.
    Quote Originally Posted by SooBDo View Post
    Thank you Mariposa for leading us this year!

As with some of you, I've done quite a number of Bonnie's mysteries, and I have four Bonnie quilts (2 of them mysteries) in baggies. Oh boy! So, I think I'll sit on the sideline for awhile.

We in Alaska are a little challenged by distance to get to Lowe's to find the Sherwin Williams paint chips. I know crayons would work, and in the past there has been embroidery floss used to match those colors. Would anyone have color number for embroidery floss?

This is always a fun thread to follow, because everyone is so upbeat and so very helpful to each other. Such a wonderful place to exchange our progress and ideas.

Ready for the fun to begin!
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Oh man....these colors are right up my alley... Unable to sew along but will download clues and watch your creations some to to life... Have fun!!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-01-2018 at 03:03 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Blog Entries
    I don't like primary colors and I really don't like red, so this will be the first Bonnie Hunter mystery where I will not follow her color choices. It will probably take me a couple of weeks to figure out just what my palette will be.

Leslie

Thanks Kassaundra, I’ll try that. I also saw someone use m&m’s on the paint chips that match perfectly. Only trouble is consuming the clues����

I've accepted the fact that the prints in that fat quarter bundle are too big for a Bonnie quilt, so I ran out to pick up the paint chips tonight. I really love how these colors look together. I've rarely worked with primary colors, so it will be something different!
    Lisa

Thanks for starting this thread, Mariposa.

I am following along but, at this time, will probably just save the clues.
    Connie

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    Thanks for starting this thread. I will be playing along. I may stick with the colors Bonnie has chosen this year not my usually my greens and that dark blue are depleted in my stash so we will see. I need to dig through my scrap saver system that Bonnie goes by and see if I feel I have enough in those colors to work. Still have till the day the clues start being released to make a final decision
    ​Christine

Here are the colors in embroidery floss, listed on another site. I did not figure out the colors myself. Name:  5E3ABC0A-E936-4468-9B53-707A290C3FF2.jpeg
Views: 986
Size:  885.7 KB

I was an hour away from home, and didn't know that there was a Sherwin Williams store there. I stopped in, and got most of the paint chips. I was going by memory since I'd left my list at home. Missed the lighter orange, and a couple of the neautrals. Easy fix.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    Thanks so much for the floss and chips information. Was at the fabric store yesterday and thought I'd remember but of course I got the green wrong. Oh well, I'll use it somewhere.

I've done the last two so I plan to join in on this one, too. I have to admit it's been fun seeing On Ringo Lake at the top of Bonnie's blog all year and knowing I have a match on my guest room bed! I'm almost finished with Wonky Wishes and Star Struck from classes I took with Bonnie in the spring. These should be finished by Thanksgiving....perfect timing!

Looking forward to seeing pictures of everyone's fabric choices! I think that's my favorite part of this Board!
    Sew much to do in sew little time!

I'm an avid fan of Bonnie Hunter. I read her blog daily and am always amazed at her energy and what she accomplishes. I've done two mysteries. Mostly I'm pleased with the reveal but once in a while not so much. However, if I don't like it as much as others that does not take away the talent this wonderful woman has. It's only my own opinion. I'll follow along with this one, save the clues, and see at the end if it's something I want to do. I have a lot of Christmas projects this year and a large number of UFO's I've decided to complete in the coming year. Good luck everyone and have fun with this adventure.
    SEW MUCH FUN!

Well I wasn't going to do this year's mystery (still slightly undecided)... I've been busting through my UFO list pretty well and don't want to break my stride... haha.

But I really like the colors together - and I've been happy with the last 3 mysteries (although Ringo Lake was tough) -- IF I decide to do this one I think I'll just go with 1 fabric - no scraps (eeks!)

I found some good matches in my stash but I'm mulling over using orange as a neutral and subbing yellow for the orange - or maybe yellow and purple and eliminate the red.... Guess I have a few weeks to decide.
    Name:  20181101_121553.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  185.7 KB Name:  20181101_121755.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  126.3 KB

Amy I love your color combos - either would be very striking. I'm still sitting on the edge and haven't decided. But I do have this layer cake with blue's that I really like and have wanted to do something with blue/tan/brown. What do you think ladies, would this combo give enough contrast or "pop"?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Amy, that neutral in your top photo is adorable! Your green seems a little dark. I've been wondering what value pitfalls to avoid, and the only potential problem I can think of is having colors next to each other that are too dark to differentiate hues. Unless we'll have a neutral between every piece of every color?

Carol, that looks beautiful to me.
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    Look what I found at Tuesday Morning. Might be fun to do it all in solids. I was tempted to buy one of each and do a smaller quilt but I resisted. If I decide to jump in I’ll try to work up another color combination from my stash.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by quiltsRfun; 11-02-2018 at 09:55 AM.

Nice Tuesday Morning find! Beautiful color gradations.

I stopped by Lowes and got the paint chips today. They are very basic, heavily saturated primary and secondary colors. Exactly like crayons... in the box of 8. I'm glad she gave three examples of the neutral range. It's helpful to have chips for those. Still not committing to this quilt until I see a little more... but the unknown factor is exciting. Just don't want to have a big UFO on my hands, because it was so complicated (like Ringo Lake!) Whoever said RL 'wore them out', I'm with you on that!

Carol, your fabrics look nice but one thing stands out to me: The 'tans' look like a darker range of neutrals. I would probably pick a bolder color, if you want the same impact as Bonnie intended. She's got 4 bold, saturated colors, and then many neutrals. Looks like this quilt will be lots and lots of neutral. And then lots of orange.

It's fun to pull those fabrics, but I have so many pulled collections already, for different quilts in progress. Will try to complete some before I pull BH colors.

Gee, it sounds like I'm making this quilt! Well... who knows?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
    Amy, that neutral in your top photo is adorable! Your green seems a little dark. I've been wondering what value pitfalls to avoid, and the only potential problem I can think of is having colors next to each other that are too dark to differentiate hues. Unless we'll have a neutral between every piece of every color?
    Thanks Joe's Mom - the green is not quite as dark as the photo and is very close to Bonnie's paint chip. I'm ok with it even if it's not a lot of contrast and I also really like the light fabric with flowers -- husband hates it and wants me to do the version with orange as the neutral - haha - quilt is not for him though... not sure who it is for - someone that likes orange I think.

If it is helpful to someone, especially if you plan to switch colors around; the % breakdown of colors using Bonnie's yardages are:
    13.64% = Jay Blue
    8.52% = Kilkenny Green
    11.93% = Show Stopper Red
    25.00% = Robust Orange/Outgoing Orange
    40.91% = Neutrals (Marshmallow/Choice Cream/OysterBar)

QuiltsRfun - oh my gosh those solids are beautiful. I think using those for the mystery is a great idea. Wish I had a Tuesday Morning near me. We used to but it closed.

So happy to see this thread! I so appreciate everyone's discussions and input on the Board.

I found all paint chips except the blue, which was all out. The gentleman at Lowes told me he just ordered more. I waiting too long to get paint chips for ORL, and had a hard time finally finding them, so I went out as quick as I could this time. And still was too late!

Still thinking about my color choices. I am wondering about going with all solids this time, either scrappy solid or one solid fabric per color choice.

I may also only do a half size, which is just a 36" square wall hanging. ORL and En Provence put me really behind on several other projects. Even so, I enjoy Bonnie's mysteries!

Quote Originally Posted by AmyBible View Post

If it is helpful to someone, especially if you plan to switch colors around; the % breakdown of colors using Bonnie's yardages are:
    13.64% = Jay Blue
    8.52% = Kilkenny Green
    11.93% = Show Stopper Red
    25.00% = Robust Orange/Outgoing Orange
    40.91% = Neutrals (Marshmallow/Choice Cream/OysterBar)
    Thank you for putting it all into perspective and since I'm not excited about a red/orange/neutral quilt, with a dash of blue/green thrown in, I'd have to re-think colors or maybe just sit this one out. Like so many others.. I have a stack of to-dos, ufos, etc.. and haven't yet forgotten the immense amount of time it took to complete my ORL.. But, then again, I also loved the process, appreciate all that I learned and so.. whew.. I dunno what I'm gonna do

In the meantime, I love everyone's unique take on fabric selection and look so forward to your parade of finished clues each week after Thanksgiving!

P.S. I'm most curious to see Kassaundra's spin on this years mystery! I'm certain it will be delightful as always
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

quiltsRfun, what beautiful colors! I think solids are a great idea.

sewbizgirl, I'm glad you're considering joining. Resistance is futile, LOL.

Christine, if memory serves, the final look of ORL surprised some people based on the fabric percentages, so perhaps the orange won't seem as dominant within the pattern.
    Lisa

Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast