Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune" >

Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune"

Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune"

Old 12-07-2018, 11:29 AM

Yes!!! I was wishing today was "make 48 blocks and be done"... I was sadly disappointed... ha

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-07-2018 at 02:43 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 12-07-2018, 11:31 AM

quiltsRfun: They aren't my fave either... so I've decided to cut myself some slack and let them just be "okay" and not strive for "fantastic!"... It's only part 3 and I'm already questioning what I have signed up for... hoping the next 2 weeks are a bit easier.. lots of holiday "stuff" going on.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

After 3 years I finally finished putting my Allietare blocks together into a top. I did two more Bonnie mysteries after that one and completed them. Just couldn't seem to get my interest up to finish the Allietare. I so hate doing on point setting, especially with a quilt that big. My design wall isn't big enough so I ran into all kinds of trouble. It's always confusing! But today it's a Top. Hooray!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]604917[/ATTACH]

(Photo was taken before edges were trimmed.)
Attached Thumbnails img_4552.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-08-2018 at 03:31 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 12-07-2018, 01:56 PM

gosh I just love looking at everyone's neutrals! I did my Allietare as a long twin. I did the centers in strings and wasn't mad about how they came out. The journey is always fun though.

I've got 20 chevrons and 38 bonus squares finished. One year we had more chevrons only going the other way for one of the clues.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:18 PM

It took me three practice chevron units to get one going in the right direction. Gonna be a long week!
Old 12-07-2018, 02:29 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Happiness is knowing you have the described tools somewhere and finding them before you start the clue!!!!
Old 12-07-2018, 02:34 PM

I just started following Bonnie Hunter about 6 months ago and I know I will never make one of her mystery quilts even though I admire anyone who would. In an earlier post lora3677 mentioned "lots of holiday stuff going on". My question is: why does Bonnie Hunter start a mystery quilt this time of year? It seems to me that January would be a great time.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by betthequilter View Post
I just started following Bonnie Hunter about 6 months ago and I know I will never make one of her mystery quilts even though I admire anyone who would. In an earlier post lora3677 mentioned "lots of holiday stuff going on". My question is: why does Bonnie Hunter start a mystery quilt this time of year? It seems to me that January would be a great time.

betthequilter - Bonnie starts this now because many people don't have family and spend the holidays alone. This gives them something to look forward to. A lot of people also only make 1/2 or 1/4 of the clues so they end up with a small quilt or table topper. In Bonnie's video with Holly from String & Story she mentioned if it's too hectic to do all the units just do 12 each week. That gives you an idea of what your block will look like after the reveal and give you practice making the units.

Sewbizgirl, your Allietare is beautiful!

So - Clue #3 is similar to the sashing unit in On Ringo Lake but no mirror image - wasn't a fan of that sashing so I'm wondering how and where these Half Chevrons will be used. I am debating skipping this clue and seeing if, after the reveal, I can figure out a way to make them with less seams.
I might go ahead & make the Bonus units - those are really, really small.

Does anyone else think this will be another "on point" setting?
Old 12-07-2018, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
After 3 years I finally finished putting my Allietare blocks together into a top. I did two more Bonnie mysteries after that one and completed them. Just couldn't seem to get my interest up to finish the Allietare. I so hate doing on point setting, especially with a quilt that big. My design wall isn't big enough so I ran into all kinds of trouble. It's always confusing! But today it's a TOP. Hooray!
Sounds like me. Allietare is my favorite mystery but the top is still not complete. I’ve also done two more BH mysteries (finished the tops) but decided to watch this one from the sidelines.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:24 PM

sewbizgirl, you did it! Congratulations! It's beautiful, as always. Allietare was my favorite mystery.

I haven't gotten any sewing in today, things keep coming up. Looking forward to starting this clue -- I'm using gold for green.