Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune" >

Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune"

Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune"

Old 01-09-2019, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
The red/orange blocks are finished. When I put them on my design board, my first thought was that this block would make an interesting quilt all by itself... maybe in different colors and definitely with larger pieces!
These look great, JENNR8R! I agree that they would make a neat quilt by themselves. I'm still working on mine. I changed the strings to purple.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]606487[/ATTACH]

Leslie
Attached Thumbnails good-fortune-chain-blocks.jpg  
Old 01-09-2019, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Conchalea View Post
Yes, this is what I meant. As to images, I was referring to the posting of EQ arrangements of her block designs. Many quilters are clever enough to figure out how to make blocks without following a pattern. I’m not trying to start arguments here at all. I’m just happy there are people who can dream up a pattern & then share it!
I agree that blocks can be made without using a person's written pattern. Quilters have done that for centuries. Now that we have the computer as a tool to use, it's very convenient to make blocks using a program which automatically does the math for you! Using EQ is a convenient way to figure out dimensions rather than doing it with your brain alone.

In order to figure out the GF pattern, the EQ image has no more benefit/significance than the photo of GF on BH's web site, because an EQ image provides the same information to the viewer who is figuring out the pattern as the photo does. What exactly can be the difference between sewing the quilt with a sewing machine, and drawing the quilt with a computer program? Aren't both events just creative outlets, but using different mediums??

When you write, "her block designs," I do not agree with you. These block designs are not original.

:-) I'm not arguing either. I just think it's an interesting discussion.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:25 AM

I don't have or use EQ, I'm a pencil / graph paper kinda gal, and didn't do this mystery, but am in total agreement w/ you givio. I have been lurking and wondering exactly what the difference was in a picture of a quilt drawing and a picture of a quilt sewn, both images give the exact same information if a person was going to repeat the pattern by sight. The EQ images that were posted gave absolutely no measurement numbers. There is absolutely nothing tricky about this pattern and is very easy to reproduce my sight.
Originally Posted by givio View Post
I agree that blocks can be made without using a person's written pattern. Quilters have done that for centuries. Now that we have the computer as a tool to use, it's very convenient to make blocks using a program which automatically does the math for you! Using EQ is a convenient way to figure out dimensions rather than doing it with your brain alone.

In order to figure out the GF pattern, the EQ image has no more benefit/significance than the photo of GF on BH's web site, because an EQ image provides the same information to the viewer who is figuring out the pattern as the photo does. What exactly can be the difference between sewing the quilt with a sewing machine, and drawing the quilt with a computer program? Aren't both events just creative outlets, but using different mediums??

When you write, "her block designs," I do not agree with you. These block designs are not original.

:-) I'm not arguing either. I just think it's an interesting discussion.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:33 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]606491[/ATTACH]Here she is, mistakes galore, cause for grinding teeth, etc. Points are all catywhompus and the chevrons, will I've spoken of that before. What I did manage to do correctly?? is to hide the sage green that I used in both the chevrons and the green border. I had quite a few left over. I still have that last border to do. But I wanted to see what I was getting.
Attached Thumbnails 20190110_080316_001_resized.jpg  
Old 01-10-2019, 06:08 AM

Battle Axe, great center! I like how the green in the blocks shows. I used a single (olive-ish) fabric too, I hope mine looks as nice as yours. I haven't started on those blocks yet.

Auds, those red/white/blue option blocks together look great. I have about 30 finished, I'm going to see what mine look like, like that. A strippy quilt might be a fun alternative setting? I (picture in caps) Love my working wall.

Vagabond I'm using up some olive yardage like you've used, I hope mine looks as good as yours in that spinning star effect.

Sewbiz, all my quilts are double sided, why don't you try that with your two past mysteries? I've been making double sided quilts since forever. Half the storage, half the quilting cost (vs. two quilts done) twice the fun

Last years mystery went completely sideways once I hit the working wall with all my units...same one you guys made except I ended up making more 9 patches. I call it Not Ringo.
The reverse side is all shirts. mostly components I already made over the years. I think four or six of my mysteries are now 2 or 3 quilts. something to think about anyway. 110X110, I use it as the top spread in our 5th wheel.
Attached Thumbnails not-ringo-2-110-sq.jpg   not-ringo-reverse.jpg  

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 01-10-2019 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:15 AM

battleaxe - I think I like your version better! It seems way less "messy" to me.

I knew from the start that I'd probably not really like my quilt when it was finished, simply because I'm not a fan of quilts with green in them. But I didn't make it planning on keeping it for myself - at some point someone will fall in love with it and it will go to it's new home.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:45 AM

Great job Kalama. Love the double sided look. I may have to give that a try also. It sure would get rid of a few of the UFO tops I have lying around. I have my field done but am waiting till Friday to work on those 4 borders. I will have the house to myself, no distractions.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:52 AM

Kalama, my goodness, double sided, that requires another nightmare.

Macybaby, I want to know how you do things. My blocks look fuzzy, nothing really lines up. Yours are pristine. It's got to be that pressing, do you think? I'd love to have a video of you working. I know....from a galloping horse, but up close they are not right. I don't really object to the Chinese square puzzle pattern, doesn't look so busy.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:18 AM

Battle Axe, my finished BH mystery quilts aren't pristine either. They are so busy that once quilted it is not as noticeable. I think if I was doing one of hers to enter into a show then I would not do it as a mystery - I would piece like I normally do.

I don't know if mine is the pressing. It maybe the production line type sewing. I swear I check my measurements but once I get back to using the units later in putting the quilt together I find many are slightly off etc. My usual way of putting blocks together is to work a couple blocks at a time.

Chevrons! I really dislike them. I have tried many ways of making them and this year used Deb Tucker's corner pop ruler. That worked well but I still hate them. I am thinking next year I just might replace them with 2 HST
Old 01-10-2019, 08:35 AM

Saw another way of putting the final border together. It was little bridges, now I cannot find that. Can someone help?

Marcia