Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune" >

Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune"

Bonnie Hunter's 2018-19 Mystery Quilt "Good Fortune"

Old 01-09-2019, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

I am enjoying seeing the finished good fortune quilts. I keep working along, still working on clue 7. I am excited enough I know I will finish it- with other things didn’t keep getting in the way.
it seems like I don’t get as much done in two or three hours as I think I should. Oh well, it’s not a race and I will feel like I started the year out productive when I finish.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:13 PM

I'm still working on it. Seems the borders are more complicated and it's taking me forever to put them together and then on. You are all in for a big surprise when you see mine. I'm one of the ones who can't tell their left from their right and my chevrons went the wrong way. I made some nice boxes.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Conchalea View Post
Please respect her requests to not post representations of her designs.
I think everyone has.

Kalama, those are beautiful, original quilts with the GI units. You are so resourceful. Many people hated that quilt when it was revealed, but not me... I love mine! It's crazy busy for sure, but with so many fabrics and parts and movement, I just love it. So much to look at. I wonder why it elicited such strong reactions from people?

I have two BH quilts to get quilted... made years ago. One is a shirts quilt from one of her shirt books (with 1" finished blocks, eek!), and the other is Chunky Churndash which is a freebie on her blog. I guess I have procrastinated because they are so big... both are bed size. Just getting them to the finished 'top' stage was a feat.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
...Seems the borders are more complicated and it's taking me forever to put them together and then on.
I'm having a hard time with the borders too. I spent hours unsewing a border that I put on upside down today. Yesterday I unsewed something that I think was actually okay. Grrr...
Old 01-09-2019, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
I'm still working on it. Seems the borders are more complicated and it's taking me forever to put them together and then on. You are all in for a big surprise when you see mine. I'm one of the ones who can't tell their left from their right and my chevrons went the wrong way. I made some nice boxes.
I kept up to date on every Friday. Then the final reveal!! Yes, the borders and putting it together are very complicated. It seems Bonnie was so thorough through the whole process and (forgive me for saying this) seems to have dropped the ball on the finish. It's taking me forever.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-10-2019 at 03:12 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 01-09-2019, 07:15 PM

I got the center done this evening. It is bright but definitely growing on me.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]606482[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20190109_220617-1-.jpg  
Old 01-09-2019, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Conchalea View Post
BH’s designs are her intellectual property, & therefore images of her designs that she hasn’t given permission for are theft of that property. I’ve been to a presentation concerning intellectual property & this is what a legal expert said during the presentation. Please respect her requests to not post representations of her designs.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'designs' and 'images of designs'.

BH encourages the posting of images of her designs, and I've scrolled through lots of images of her designs on her own blog, that is, pictures of finished quilts made by other quilters who have used her patterns. If you google the names of her patterns, you can see a lot of images that are not BH's own images. She gives her patterns to be used, people use them, and people have the freedom of the press to publish what they have done in their own sewing rooms. What is illegal about that? Of course, BH likes the quilter to give her credit for her design, but as far as I can see she is not opposed to images of her designs being posted. It seems to me that she likes to see people sewing her designs, talking about her designs, buying her designs, posting her designs: it's the public buzz about 'Bonnie Hunter' which keeps her alive in the quilting hobby and earns her money. Since she asks people to post images of her designs on her blog and in FB, it seems unlikely that the images would be theft.

You probably have a point if you mean that her patterns are her intellectual property. How she writes the pattern, shares ideas and thoughts or memories, names the units, gives instructions how to sew or how to iron, instructions that include measurements, numbers, tips, illustrations, etc.-- that is her property. The text and photos that comprise her pattern are hers.

I would say that a couple of quilt block patterns that are in the public domain, put together with any colors (or certain colors!) are not a theft of anything. Even the idea that some of the pieces in the one block are 'strings' is not a novel idea. Pieces with seams (ie, strings) are in so many old quilts, it's not a unique idea at all. The outside border I've sewn before I saw BH use it. Many quilters have probably seen or used a saw tooth border. There isn't much about BH's GF design that hasn't been done before.

Let's all get past the copyright-intellectual property-theft-permission-respect topic that pops up yearly with every BHMQ! :-) She is glad we use her pattern, we are glad to get it. It's fun to share it in forums and gab about how fast or slow we are, or what fabric we choose, or what we wonder about for the mystery of it... Just be happy... :-)

I had some time on my hands. Those that don't get into reading a long post will blithely skip past this one. lol
Old 01-09-2019, 07:21 PM

Things always slow down for me after the reveal.

sewbizgirl, as to why GI elicited such strong reactions, that was my first Bonnie mystery and I was fascinated with the response. I think it's because it was a very effective illusion and those blocks appeared to be spinning furiously. I think they actually made some people dizzy. That and the busy-ness of the bright green checkerboard sashing.

I finally had a moment to download (upload?) the photos I'd taken of my block pieces. I'm not loving my orange string units. They look harsh. Based on the many quilts-in-progress I've seen on Quiltville, I'm going to look for a milder orange fabric, and do the block option for clue 4 in a constant fabric. I suppose I could also cut bars from the milder of my current oranges and try the matched set approach to clue 4, see if that is an improvement over the string units.

One advantage of lagging behind -- I'm getting more used to the look of Bonnie's pieced border and liking it more.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by givio View Post
I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'designs' and 'images of designs'.

You probably have a point if you mean that her patterns are her intellectual property. How she writes the pattern, shares ideas and thoughts or memories, names the units, gives instructions how to sew or how to iron, instructions that include measurements, numbers, tips, illustrations, etc.-- that is her property. The text and photos that comprise her pattern are hers.
l
Yes, this is what I meant. As to images, I was referring to the posting of EQ arrangements of her block designs. Many quilters are clever enough to figure out how to make blocks without following a pattern. I’m not trying to start arguments here at all. I’m just happy there are people who can dream up a pattern & then share it!
Old 01-09-2019, 09:36 PM

These are so clever, Kalama. They are beautiful.

Leslie