Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Box of Strings Quilt Along!

Power Poster
    Squaring up to 8-1/2 after sewing the 2 sections together worked better for me. This thread is not working properly. I don't know if it is the ads making it sick but I cannot post a picture.

Power Poster
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 565
Size:  190.5 KBHere is my trimmed block

Looking great everyone the board is being weird about posts and it keeps asking me to sign in although I am . I love the quilt of valor idea. I have more blue strings then neutrals so I think I might try this using a white triangle in the middle.

Blog Entries
    Great idea! I had Tons of whites/ lights. I ( might) have to switch my triangles to red and use blue strings for half of my blocks- will see where I’m at when I reach the half way point. I used Tartan’s method to square up- it did work better for me too.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I love looking at everyone's variations--thanks to all for doing this quiltalong.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

I used Jane's idea of going whole instead of strips, and think this pattern also works very well to showcase fabric you don't want to cut up into little peices.

I'm going with the same basic size, 4.5 by 8.5 unfinished.

Started out cutting 4.5" wide strips from my fat quarters.

Then used the Tri Tools ruler to cut the angle. I have the template there to remind me which angle I need to cut. The other side says Light.

Once I have the leading angle cut, I rotate the strips and using a longer ruler, cut them off at 7.5" I end up with slightly shorter than 8.5", but that does not matter as long as they are all the same.

I could get two peices out of teh fat quarter, but if you are cutting longer strips and are worried about getting the angle off, you can use the Tri Tools ruler (it's a set of two, btw) and check that your angle is staying accurate.

I cut the lights the same way, only with the opposite angle.

Then I cut a 4.5" strip and used the Tri Recs ruler to cut my triangles. It's got the "dog ear" already cut off so you can cut your strips the same width as the others and still have it come out correct.

I sewed the triangle to the lights, and pressed to the triangle

Then I sewed on a row of darks, and press to the dark (away from the triangle).

This will allow me to nest the seams when I sew the strips together.

Here are my rows, ready to sew together. I'm going to call this "box of chocolates". This went together super fast too.

My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Great, Macy! Thanks so much. Will post my KF blocks soon - - -
    Jane

Wow, these are all looking fantastic!
    Lisa

Power Poster
Views: 529
Size:  226.1 KBWould you put these fabrics in the light pile on the right or the dark pile on the left?

the three on the left I'd go dark. The greener one I'd go light.
    But.....if your darks are all "really" dark, then you could really go either way.

Oh mercy, I'm not much help! Sorry Tartan!

Tartan - I would use the 3 on the right on your light side and, honestly, would not use the 2 on the left. I have discovered I have some fabrics that can go either way so I don't use them b/c I'm aiming for a definite difference between my lights & darks. For me, it's tricky sometimes - - -
    Jane

Sometimes it is best to pull some out and not use them for either light or dark. My strings are narrow, so it's not as big of a deal and I have a huge variety. However I'm pretty sure I've got a few fabrics that ended up in both the light and dark piles.

I think one consideration - if you have a lot of a type and it's going to be showing up often, then it may work. However if you have mostly very light and then toss in only a few questionable lights, they are going to stand out like possible mistakes. Though sometimes that look is fine too. All depends on what you can live with.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Tartan: The one closest to the lights, I would definitely use as a light. The three in the center, I probably would not use. They all seem mid-tone to me, which you are not going for in this pattern. Possibly the yellow and the tan. if you are using others that are similar, so that they don't stand out too much against your lights (the lights I can see are very light; just one or two strips that are that dark will look out of place). Not the paisley in the center. The white backround will pop out if it's on the dark side, and the print covers too much of the space to let it be a light. I love the paisley, but this type of fabric is the hardest for me to use, unless it is in a border

Blog Entries
    I would use them in the dark pile except the middle one with some white in it... I went back and looked at the original post and noticed that used some "medium" one here and there. I would not place them all in the same strip block though

https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictur...n-t295240.html

Power Poster
    This is going to take longer then I thought. I am only about 1/2 way down my scrap hamper and have a huge pile of strips on my table. I am going to use my less accurate paper pieced blocks for the 1/2 blocks needed at the rows ends. That holly fabric in the lights is a bit obvious but I hope it will blend in better the more variety I put in my neutrals. I figure if I do a block a day, I should have a top by the fall?Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 450
Size:  195.6 KB

Blog Entries
    I hope to make a few more blocks this weekend. Since Iím ( drowning) in scraps/ strings I might work on two quilts at once. The red, white and blue and one with all lights/ darks.
    I love seeing the progress everyone is sharing!
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

The more I stitch the more I am liking the top. Here's a picture so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very good Tartan & Bobbie.
    Jane

This bis such a cute idea...I'm thinking of switching the PP block up a bit so that the seam is in the dark triangles but not in the strips. I think that's what Macybaby did and it really speaks to me. I'll likely only make a mini quilt though. That's my latest addiction :-)

Power Poster
Views: 355
Size:  189.4 KBA few more blocks done. I am at the bottom of my design wall/tablecloth so I will start a new row. I haven't decided on a size yet but will keep making blocks until I run out of scraps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    A few more blocks done. I am at the bottom of my design wall/tablecloth so I will start a new row. I haven't decided on a size yet but will keep making blocks until I run out of scraps.
    So... your quilt will cover Canada?

Power Poster
    Good one Conchalea!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Views: 529
Size:  226.1 KBWould you put these fabrics in the light pile on the right or the dark pile on the left?
    Hi, just poking my nose in here to see what you all are doing. Everything looks fabulous!!

As per Tartan's question about the center fabrics, I have a good way to see value only. Squint! Look at the above picture and squint til all you can see is the dark/light value, not color so much. Then you will see that all of the center fabrics are lights. I'd use all of them as lights. Some diversity is good and makes an interesting quilt, just as long as the value lines are not crossed.

I learned to squint to discern dark/light values from a wonderful art teacher I had in high school and it's served me all my life.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I now have a grand total of 2 triangle blocks. LOL. I’ve spent so much time on Lattice Garden that my Box of Strings has languished. I also have many more dark strings than light, so that will be a limiting factor for a while. I have a feeling this will be a long-term project for me.

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    Mine might cover Canada and the US to use all of my strings Have made 86 blocks and my string tub is still hard to get the lid on. Right now I am planning on a twin size and would need 212 blocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conchalea View Post
    So... your quilt will cover Canada?
    ​Christine

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast