Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Dresden Plate Spring challenge 2021 >

Dresden Plate Spring challenge 2021

Dresden Plate Spring challenge 2021

Old 04-27-2021, 05:28 PM

I use Karen Kay Buckley’s perfect circles. Add a quarter of an inch around when cutting. Run a basting stitch, starch the edges, pull the basting around the template, and iron. If it’s not as perfect as I’d like, I can re-starch/iron. Then I use a glue stick to hold it in place for appliqué stitching. I prefer hand stitching but machine stitching works too.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
How do you all do your centers? I used the ' light-weight interfacing, stich and turn' method. I put it on last. I like the way it turned out, but the flowers are a bit bulky.
I liked the interfacing method and I would still recommend it to beginners, but starching around a template is easier for me now and as you have noticed, less bulky.

I center the template on the fabric, starch around the edges, and start pulling the edges over the template a little at a time with the edge of the iron until I've gone all the way around. Pull out the template, run a glue stick around the outside of the circle under the fold, rearrange it and then press again until the glue dries.

Last edited by thepolyparrot; 04-27-2021 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 04-27-2021, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by lizzie3 View Post
I am easy going (at least when it comes to my quilting) so even when it's imperfect I still love it.
Great attitude! You should love your work!

I'm finally piecing the top from all the blocks I made for Barbara Brackman's Civil War Blog BOW in 2011 and some of those blocks are pitiful. One was almost a full half-inch wider than the rest. I felt like Cinderella's ugly step-sister who says, "I'll MAKE it fit!"

I steamed it and squished it and pressed wrinkles right into it to take up the extra width. Yep, it's a little wrinkly now, but by the time I get to the quilting stage, the wrinkles will soften and then when it's washed, it's not going to be any more wrinkled or crinkly than the rest of the quilt. It's fine.

"Finished is better than perfect" and someday, my children will fight over who gets it. Hahahahaha! 😄
Old 04-28-2021, 08:53 PM

What a coincidence, as I just "discovered" Dresden Plates and have been playing with them.
Not sure I'll make a whole quilt, but I will certainly follow along with you all and see what wonders you come up with.

Watson
Old 05-02-2021, 06:04 AM

Here is a picture of the Round Robbin quilt I used the plates on. I only added the four corners, the rest was done by other participants.

Attached Thumbnails imgp5401.jpg  
Old 05-02-2021, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Here is a picture of the Round Robbin quilt I used the plates on. I only added the four corners, the rest was done by other participants.
Cathy - The quilts for the round robins I've seen posted are truly works of art. You all do some beautiful work! What a gorgeous quilt!
Old 05-02-2021, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Ohmigosh! You're going to be a hard act to follow!!! What a GORGEOUS quilt!
Old 05-02-2021, 01:56 PM

I have decided to drop out of this. I was iffy to start with and since my time just can hold another activity the completion of my current Dresden Plate will have to wait. To think I could pull out the WIP and finish it up while working on the projects I have going was not to smart on my end. I will watch this thread. I love to see other Dresden Plate quilts and I will post here a pic of one of my first ones. I made this King Size quilt more than 30 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails 16563_1274296223502_1412831226_30804206_3590053_n.jpg  
Old 05-03-2021, 01:31 PM

My first Dresden plate and I'm hooked. I've been looking at Dresden plate videos all day long!

Still needs a centre.

Watson

Attached Thumbnails img_0101.jpg  
Old 05-04-2021, 11:47 AM

Another experiment. This isn't applique'd yet, just sitting on a towel.
Watson

Attached Thumbnails dresdenexperimen2.jpg