Fabric Moratorium 2023

Old 01-07-2023, 04:12 AM

Becky, that is a great idea. Our PL group has kits but always the same pattern, just dif fab. According to Just Get It done Quilts its time to purge patterns printed from the Internet. So pattern + fab = making two people happy.
Old 01-07-2023, 04:44 PM

I have managed a little success this weekend ....... I needed red for the binding on my grandson's Spiderman quilt and I had the perfect red in my stash. I just finished making over 264" of 2.5" wide binding and that used all of that red fabric. Now I just need to keep myself from replacing that Red fossil fern with more ..... I will repeat I have enough red fabric, I have enough red fabric,
Old 01-07-2023, 05:52 PM

Okay, I'm in this year. Even though I didn't shop in person, On-line last year was a washout toward the end of the year. I bought fabric to complete projects, and today I replenished fabric for blenders. I'm really, really going to try this year to work with the fabric and projects that I have. I can't believe the cost of fabric, even sale fabric, now-a-days. One problem area for me is emails from fabric stores with oh so pretty pictures. So, the only email subscription I am going to keep is where I get my thread, so if a sale pops up at the needed time, I'll catch it. But with even thread, I'm well set as I pretty much use neutral and base colors and have a bit of them. So that email subscription may go as well.

I know I can do it! I have enough projects, enough fabric, enough thread, enough patterns. Enough is enough!
Count me in starting this day: January 7th at 8:46pm eastern standard time!
So it begins. Day 1.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 01-07-2023 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-08-2023, 05:53 AM

Seven days into the New Year and I've already failed. Yesterday I purchased a yard and half of an Ombre fabric. I do however already have a plan and have started the new wall hanging. The rest of the month - NO MORE FABRIC purchases!
Old 01-08-2023, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Gemm;8582879). We have general guidelines, but please just do whatever makes sense for you. Although we call it the "Fabric Moratorium" the main idea is to not add to our stash and hopefully reduce it, so any efforts in that direction are worth celebrating.

Here are some general guidelines:[list
[*]No fabric purchases "just for your stash" from January 1 until U.S. Black Friday (November 24, 2023).[*]When you start a new project, shop your stash first. If you don't have anything that will work, then feel free to make a purchase. Hopefully at least some of the fabric for every new project will come from your [/list]
As stated these are just guidelines; there are no Moratorium Police here!
Again, these are guidelines. If a purchased fabric is needed and it’s not in my stash, then it’s an unnecessary purchase. It’s OK 👌 to make a purchase……. Also, I occasionally give myself an exemption, after all I’m creative even with excuses..
Old 01-08-2023, 12:57 PM

I have a short attention span and need lots of encouragement. Therefore, (since LQS closed Sunday and Monday) on Saturday pm I’ll evaluate how I did for week. That’s 52 opportunities for 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍…………..
Old 01-08-2023, 07:36 PM

Lena1952 - that's not failure. It's a temporary "fall off the wagon." :-) Petthefabric is absolutely right to remind us all that there are no Moratorium Police here - only cheerleaders!

Speaking of which, way to go everyone, and welcome to all who are jumping on for the ride this year. Glad to have you along!
Old 01-09-2023, 04:45 AM

I was just surprised at quickly I "fell off that wagon". The wall hanging is done and only needs to be quilted. I'm not concerned about the purchase as I did not have an ombre fabric in my stash. I have tons of other fabrics and patterns I could have made something with on my shelves. So was my ombre wall hanging just the excuse I needed to be able to purchase fabric and not feel guilty? Perhaps, but since I immediately put it to use, I'm okay with that excuse.:-) No quilt police in this house!
Old 01-09-2023, 05:46 AM

When I first started this journey with the Moratorium Threads a number of years ago, I felt guilt and failure looming when I went shopping to finish a piece. After some thought, I realized a purchase of a small amount to finish a project is not a failure. It keeps the piece from becoming a UFO which is another issue we often have in our sewing rooms. Getting the nearly finished project off the "To Do List" is more important than buying a yard of fabric or a backing that is needed after I have looked at my stash. What this year is all about is using the fabric we have on hand and not purchasing fabric that does not have a planned specific purpose.. Chin up and forge ahead!!
Old 01-09-2023, 06:01 AM

I thilnk I need to read these posts old and new every day or so to keep me on track. I'm ok looking at on line fabric teasers but touching fab is a different stimulus. I have NO will power at Project Linus so decided I will go once a month instead of two. I can still turn in my quilts, sew and chat with buddies. Maybe I'll have to sit with my back to the donation closet? We meet thlis Friday. I'll keep you posted...lol