Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Giant Scrappy Swoon Quilt Along >

Giant Scrappy Swoon Quilt Along

Giant Scrappy Swoon Quilt Along

Old 03-27-2015, 06:02 AM

Great pic, Sunrise. Isn't this a cool way to use up some of those scraps and squares we have in our stash?

Two weeks it is! I'll post the next step Sunday 3/29 and every two weeks from there.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:08 AM

Sunrise450: I did mine in pinks too. I'm not sure about my secondary color but the background will be scrappy whites/creams.

I will need to adjust the size of some of the pieces in the next step because the width is too narrow by about 3/4". I forgot to adjust the width from the 'slightly bigger' 1/4" from my main project when I was sewing these squares as leader/Enders. . Fortunately I caught it before sewing the rows together so the length is right on.

Connie
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 03-27-2015, 09:24 AM

Retiredteacher09, Was math a subject you taught? :-) I'm sure you will figure it out! But another alternative is to leave your 'squares' the odd size, if you want. No adjustment would be needed if you accept to have a rectangle quilt in the end rather than a square one. You'd just have to make sure you lay them in the correct direction all the time. I think that would be a nice solution!

Last edited by givio; 03-27-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:15 PM

Givio: I taught first grade so this math is a little beyond that grade.

That's a good idea to leave it. I could just pin a note on each side with an arrow to remind myself about the short sides. I will see how the next clue fits my 'square'.

Connie

P.S. I was planning on minoring in math but college math was a lot tougher than high school! Lol

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 03-27-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:29 AM

Connie, Math was always my worse subject. Why did I need it anyway, because my husband is my calculator. :-)

You will be fine with your rectangle all through the quilt pattern, because the squares used are all the same size, so if your rectangles are all the same size it equals out. But the quilt pattern also uses HSTs (a square made of two triangles sewn on the diagonal). So you would need to sew HRT (Half rectangle triangles). You could draw a diagonal corner to corner on your rectangle, and make a template of the triangle by adding a seam all around the three sides. You would have to do it twice-- once with the diagonal going corner to corner the long way of the rectangle, and again with the diagonal going corner to corner the short way of it. You could still cut strips WOF (width of fabric), but they would need to fit the size of your triangle templates. The finished Giant Swoon would have an overall stretched look, rather than being symmetrical.

Another solution is to just add small rectangles down the narrow side of your center block to get it to the correct dimensions. It means that when you add the next parts of the quilt pattern, the seams wouldn't match the next rows of squares, but that's ok. :-)

I guess it just depends on how many strips you've already cut for what you might like to decide to do! :-)
Old 03-28-2015, 06:43 PM

Givio: I haven't cut any more strips yet. I did think of adding matching rectangles to one side of the 'square' but decided to wait for the next clue.

I really appreciate the ideas of how to fix it. It measures 18 1/2 by 17 3/4. I bet it will be a while before I mess up my seam allowances again.

I love that you have a human calculator.

Connie
Old 03-29-2015, 06:04 AM

OK I need help, new to this and math is not my subject. I have been following and want to jump in. But not sure on the triangle. If I cut them at 4 what would the triangle be? Thank you kathryn
Old 03-29-2015, 06:32 AM

kathryn, after you square them up they should measure 3 1/2"
Old 03-29-2015, 09:14 AM

jaba
thank you so much
Old 03-29-2015, 11:05 AM

Kathryn7887, Welcome! This is a wonderful project to choose if you are new to quilting. The hardest part of it might be perseverance-- to stick with it until it's done and on your bed! :-)