Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 12-23-2014, 07:17 AM

The 'broken dishes' blocks really look like broken dishes, mine do anyway ! they are probably pointing away from each other somehow...it is an illusion....and the dark is sometimes a shadow in an illusion.....just thinking out loud here.
errr...thinking with fingers on keyboard, or something.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:47 AM

The yellow does seem to photograph darker than it actually appears. It reminds me of photographs of our dining room floor. I was so surprised, after we put the new floor in and I first saw a photograph of it; the camera picked up tiny threads of butterscotch that aren't that noticeable in person, and it looked three or four shades darker in the photos than it actually appears. This yellow has clusters of tiny brown dots, and fewer clusters of tiny white dots. The lighter areas aren't fully coming through in the photos; the fabric is actually both deeper and lighter than the color card.

I was thinking about the photos I've seen, of large groups of the broken dishes units arranged row by row, and the 3-D effect is very strong in those. I think the effectiveness of the pattern will likely depend on that yellow really coming forward, so I'd be counteracting that effect by going with this darker gold. Maybe one of the golds I have coming will be the answer. I would like something that comes forward but doesn't overwhelm. I think I will probably end up not doing any sewing with yellow until we have the whole picture. I have plenty of non-yellow work to complete -- finishing the clue #1 HSTs, cutting and sewing the clue #4 HSTs, sewing my blacks to the clue #2 units, and making some new clue #2 units to include the two lighter pinks I've brought in since then.

Thank you, everyone! It really helps to talk these things through.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
When I look at your pretty pictures it is the blue that is more blue than aqua that jumps out at me, all in the perception, I guess. The blocks look really great. Cannot wait to see how it all comes together.
Yes, those do really stick out. I may have to ditch them in the end.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Nanny's dollface View Post
Wow, I would like to know your secret of staying ahead of the clues! I work more hours then full time, errands are left for the weekend, and between decorating and making cookies, I spent a total of 3 hours on the MQ by getting up at 4am!
Part 1 complete, 7 blocks of part 2, 40 blocks of part 3 and a big fat 0 of Part 4. I will work on this on my days off that are coming up. Lesson learned.....no more MQs for me during Christmas Time for now. Lol
Well, the secret for me is that I don't work full-time, and have plenty of time for quilting. Don't beat yourself up over it... you have a demanding schedule! The key is to enjoy it at you own pace.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
So, am I totally off my rocker? First photo shows my clue #1 blues and pinks with the yellow; I feel as though I have to fight to look at anything but the yellow. I have a few golds on order. Until then, I find this second photo quiet gold very pleasant to look at. If something else doesn't turn up, I'm thinking I would be comfortable with this. Thoughts/comments?
I find your first yellow more interesting, myself.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:52 PM

joe'smom - I prefer the 1st yellow as well.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I was thinking about the photos I've seen, of large groups of the broken dishes units arranged row by row, and the 3-D effect is very strong in those.
Which reminds me ... I know Bonnie is calling the unit "Broken Dishes" ... but the broken dishes I know uses 4 HST's, no solid squares.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:05 PM

woah, that would be shattered dishes................so maybe these units pair up with other units....hummm, think you are on to something here Sue, way - to- go !!!!!
Old 12-23-2014, 03:40 PM

I'm way behind because company came but I will catch up when they are gone.
I was wondering if we need more of the double diamonds? It doesn't seem like there are enough of them.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by susiequilt View Post
I'm way behind because company came but I will catch up when they are gone.
I was wondering if we need more of the double diamonds? It doesn't seem like there are enough of them.
Maybe we'll be making more of those in different colors. I hope not because I had problems getting those to line up nicely.